Subject: Is this too hard for a 8 year old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged $1 during the campaign. On the fence if I should upgrade my pledge or not. It would be nice to have the Invader crossover (since I backed that).

Is this much different from Escape: The Curse of the Temple? My son (8 yo) played that with no problem. Is it a lot of text you need to read on the cards during the time limit sessions? (He doesn´t understand english yet).

We would probably play this 2 players most of the time, maybe three (but I doubt his mother would enjoy it), is that a good player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little text on the cards; mostly it’s symbols. It is usually best to resolve searches between rounds regardless, so the pieces of equipment that do have text description can be translated for him.

I think this game is more complex than Escape but not radically so. How easily did he play that game? If it is close to his limit, this might go over the line. Of course, he will be a year older when the game arrives.

This game is also more difficult and stressful than Escape. The entireity of most rounds feels like Escape when the gong has sounded and you are far from the safe room.

The “roll to activate gun, then roll again to shoot gun” system adds complexity. Some people (adults included) slow down when resolving this extra level of complexity, and slowing down makes the already difficult game that much more difficult.

Not knowing your child, I would say it’s ok if they aren’t prone to be stressed out or hate losing, and if they play Escape quickly and fluidly. But hopefully some of the detail I gave helps you imagine how well it would work for family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, my comments are specific to the 1st (Artipia) edition of the game. I'm unfamiliar with "Escape: The Curse of the Temple" and so can't provide a comparison for you, but I think a clever 8 or 9 year old should be able to handle "Project: Elite" without too much difficulty. There is text on many of the cards, but it's pretty straight-forward stuff which for the most part can be patiently explained in between rounds to ensure it's fully understood. The game can be played with just two, but is (in my opinion) significantly better with three or four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this with my 8 year old son. I've played it with him since he was 6, although it took awhile for him to be able to get ahold of the rules at that age, especially to remember them all in real-time play, but at 8 years old, he's fine with it. We both have a lot of fun with the game, I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers Will think this over some more (the PM is open to januari 2nd I belive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.