Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to all who have been patient with those of us having a hard time with the Archives rules, but I have one more questions I could not find an answer to:

When you retrieve all the cards in your Archives, do you have to return all of your opponents cards to them immediately, or only if the text on the card says so?

My thinking is if the card doesn't say return to opponent you can play it into your play area, then when it leaves play it would go to the owner's discard pile.

I have read the rule book section for Archives and looked through the posts here and can't find an answer, so I am apparently overlooking something obvious. I have not been exposed to the entire card pool so it may very well be that every card allowing you to archive an enemy card has the text 'return to owner'....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bennett
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Yes, I believe any archived card of your opponents goes back to the original state it was in when you archived their card (ie their hand or in play), as you may not have opponent's cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise stated, cards always move to their owner. Archived cards are always placed in their owners archives, destroyed cards always in their owners discards etc..

I know sample collection specifically states that you put the opponent's creatures in your archive, and clarifies that when you pull up your archive they are returned to the owner. Do you have an example in which it says to put opponents cards in your archive but does not say they are returned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xbeaker wrote:
Unless otherwise stated, cards always move to their owner. Archived cards are always placed in their owners archives, destroyed cards always in their owners discards etc..

I know sample collection specifically states that you put the opponent's creatures in your archive, and clarifies that when you pull up your archive they are returned to the owner. Do you have an example in which it says to put opponents cards in your archive but does not say they are returned?

Thanks, Bryan.

I do not have an example. I just thought the text saying to return the card was curious since I thought it would normally be returned to the original owner anyway.

As I play the game more I am sure things will become a bit more obvious, but right now I am trying to grok the rules and learn the game with other very inexperienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sample Collection (Mars): Play: Put an enemy creature into your archives for each key your opponent has forged. If any of these creatures leave your archives, they are put into their owner's hand instead.

To my way of thinking, the difference here would be that the cards go to the owner's hand, rather than to the owner's discard pile (which I would think would be the default).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking hypothetically - how do you keep track of where archived cards go if they could go into opponent's hand or discard depending on where they were when they were archived or what card made them enter your archive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
Speaking hypothetically - how do you keep track of where archived cards go if they could go into opponent's hand or discard depending on where they were when they were archived or what card made them enter your archive?

Excellent question, Stomski. I think you would have to use a marker of some sort for separation purposes. Maybe a coin or cube from anther game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.