Subject: Tempering Expectations : Is it really THAT good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ Ren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
8.7 on BGG as of writnig this. This is incredible.

Is the game really that good? When I saw it I backed it purely on theme but could this really be the next best hiden traitor/hidden allegiance game since BSG?

What are some of the negatives people have experienced?

How is game length on average?

How fiddly is everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
Isle of Man
msg tools
I've only done 1 game of 4 players but it was super fun. I think the key is to buy in to the theme and if your objective is fubar just go with it.

My first game I was trying to just have the ship survive... The player next to me wanted me dead. A larvae spawned in a room with me, another player locked a door in a corridor adjoining it and the guy who wanted me dead decoyed another alien on to my room.

2 light wounds and 3 serious wounds later I was still in the game... Only to die to a surprise Intruder attack in the med bay...I wasn't bitter I enjoyed it.

The player who was out to kill me made it to the evacuation room...only to bleed out at the end of his turn after a Intruder appeared.

The only thing I've seen that can be very unfortunate is a Queen tail attack if you already have a serious wound and there are 2 fire event cards I've heard can wreck everyones day very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Healey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes is excellent but not perfect.
It is story, like the movies that inspired it.
Downside a) can have early elimination (but can then play as intruder -nottiredyet)
Set uo 30mins

play 3hours first time with 4 players

Beautiful game, minor mini issue but only one. Another issue with cards again minor being replaced. otherwise great first edition

Yes v good,

Teaching to four this sunday

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
It really is quite good as it brings the theme across together with the mechanisms used.

That said, it is no where the same genre as Battlestar Galactica. The huge difference being in BSG, you go in knowing there are traitors amongst sooner or later, and also nothing out there replicates the sleeper phase; while in Nemesis, you go in knowing that everyone has their objectives and it may or not coincide with yours partially.

A more apt comparison would be dead of winter, and I think Nemesis is much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
My point is that it’s really good although not “that good”.
The theme is perfect to the point that when I was explaining a quick session to a friend of mine he didn’t even realize I was talking about a board game until I mentioned “discarding cards from my hand”

It has few flaws (not design mistakes but rather design choices people can like or not) I cope with. One of them it goes by a lot by luck (draw, pick, roll), rules are a bit over complex and not very well explained in the rule book.

But still, in general, so far it was a blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is THAT good with a small caveat. The super competitive player who just cares about winning may be frustrated as random events make difficult to control much (although with repeated plays you end up knowing how to avoid some of the surprises such as fire destroying everything too quickly or you getting a larva inside).
It is among the few games where I did not care dying or deviating from my personal goal to help someone. You are not just playing to win but to create a unique story. A bit like in roleplay games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zamykal
msg tools
Yes, yes it is that good. After our first game last night, my 3 friends literally said after the game OMG that was amazing we're playing this again next week, and the week after. The week after is Xmas hols, we're going to do a 12 noon to 12 midnight session of Nemesis.

Our first game with 4 of us took 4 hrs, with rules looking up.

The game is hard, damn hard, bad things will happen and people's characters will die - thats not a negative btw, I hate easy games.

The only negative I can think of, is the mini cards won't fit in the yellow FFG sleeves. Thats it so far The quality of the components, and the gameplay is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
tierdal wrote:

Is the game really that good? When I saw it I backed it purely on theme but could this really be the next best hiden traitor/hidden allegiance game since BSG?

What are some of the negatives people have experienced?

How is game length on average?

How fiddly is everything?

I bought this on theme alone and right now it's my favorite game. I've only been able to play on TTS (still waiting on my copy) but it's a game I want to come back to over and over again. Is it hard, yep. Sometimes cheap? Yep. Cinematic as all can be? Yep yep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played two sessions so far. Yes, it's brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tierdal wrote:

Is the game really that good?

I'm sure the final score will be a bit lower. Most of the folks who have rated it now are either folks who rated it unplayed because of excitement during the Kickstarter, or folks who were excited enough about the theme to kickstart it and pay extra for early delivery.

I think it's a lot of fun. There are some fiddly aspects, and I think it suffers at 1-2 players relative to 3-5. The randomness inherent in the game plays well thematically, but does lend itself to a few corner cases that can result in a "cheap" loss (e.g. multiple fire spreading events in the early game). It does what it does very well. I think the main obstacle for me is going to be play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it is about right.

8.7, great but not perfect. Room for improvement.

Not even 9+, which always amuses me on a game that hasn't come out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a proper BSG successor, but if it's like Dead of Winter's half-baked personal goals I'll pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
I'd love a proper BSG successor, but if it's like Dead of Winter's half-baked personal goals I'll pass.

Actually, it is Dead of Winters half-baked personal goals done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game plays wonderful, is exciting and fun, you’ll have a great time together. It sure had flaws, is hard as hell, but easy to learn. I think it is worth its 8.7 score mark! It belongs in the top 10 thematically, and top 50 overall in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Price
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
wpflug13 wrote:
tierdal wrote:

Is the game really that good?

I'm sure the final score will be a bit lower. Most of the folks who have rated it now are either folks who rated it unplayed because of excitement during the Kickstarter, or folks who were excited enough about the theme to kickstart it and pay extra for early delivery.

I don't know why people rate games before they even have a chance to play it (and often, before they even have seen a playthrough!).

I never rate Kickstarter games until I actually have the product and have played the game multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@CJ Ren

You have to remember there's no game that would be praised by everyone. We all have different tastes, which can be similar to some point, but still there are differences and no one can do anything about it. Nemesis has a lot of randomness (cards, tiles, dice), so it probably won't be very popular amongst accountants and tacticians. There are mechanisms that allow to manage the risk, but still you have to take risk sooner or later. It's similar to Robinson Crusoe in one aspect: if you have proper strategy, you have a chance to win. If you don't know what to do, you will die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veliks Bigkowski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Brandon i agree. Even worse are people who rate a game (or any product what so ever) just because they dont like the company or they didnt like the games that came before. Those people are the worst. Play a game (or use a product) and then rate it for what it is. And i hate when people rate somethig bad because it was not deliverd fast enough. "1 out of 10 because it came a week later than i expected, the product ist good though".... seriously what is wrong with some people???? Sorry i digress a bit maybe DD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
msg tools
Its good but not great. There is a lot of luck involved. Just as someone mentioned there are fire cards that can end the game abruptly. Happened to me today actually. Its however thematic and if you go with it you’ll have a LOT of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Devast8or wrote:
Its good but not great. There is a lot of luck involved. Just as someone mentioned there are fire cards that can end the game abruptly. Happened to me today actually. Its however thematic and if you go with it you’ll have a LOT of fun.

Fire is dangerous. Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Benji68 wrote:
NoSoup4you wrote:

Actually, it is Dead of Winters half-baked personal goals done right.

I kinda agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of fun. Dripping with theme. Some rules niggles. Bit fiddly.

Overall a keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s lots of fun, but it has player elimination which sucks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
the_vinman wrote:

Why does player elimination suck. I've never understood why gamers can't manage to enjoy a game watching it unfold the second they are eliminated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sylvester
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
mb
Arkard1 wrote:
the_vinman wrote:

Why does player elimination suck. I've never understood why gamers can't manage to enjoy a game watching it unfold the second they are eliminated

Because watching a game for 2 hours while other people play isn't generally fun for most people.

If you are different, then that's cool, but then you aren't like most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.