David Zhang
China
flag msg tools
Hello, everyone. I have the original pandemic and Iberia, and I'm not necessarily a huge fan of them, the reason I bought those games is simply because they're highly ranked with a good reputation.
I'm not sure if I want to own this one tough. It is not the same situation like a new Carcassone here. It is so similar to the other two, I mean "main structure", "round flow", " winning/losing conditions" and so on. Yeah the putting and moving way of those cubes is different, but it feels quite similar since what you do is all drawing a card and put a cube base on where it points to.
So I think if those five barbarian factions have unique features just like Iberia might be a good reason adding it to my collection.
After watching two reviews, I didn't find such a rule, but I think there should be one. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sexton
United States
Warren
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
One of them is like orange or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
expansion ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The barbarian factions are differentiated by varying cube counts, quantity of player cards, and number of cards needed to forge an alliance with ("cure") them, as well as geographic location and invasion paths.

It's not the same level of differentiation as the disease traits in Iberia, to be sure, but I've found they do feel different: the Vandals are more of a slow burn as they make their long-haul trek through North Africa, the Anglo-Saxon-Franks are generally more clustered and useful once you ally with them, while the Ostrogoths can explode out of nowhere into a threat (14 cubes is not a lot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Virag
msg tools
I have expected the same, having an additional challenge mode in which the barbarians have different additional rules like in Iberia. I asked the designers about that, if they tried/wanted to implement such a challenge.
I am not sure if it would be too hard and that's why they did not add such a challenge or they did not have time to test it until release. Anyway, I think such a challenge would be good to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Forts, legion recruitment, alliances, defense, corrupt options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Forts, legion recruitment, alliances, defense, corrupt options?

I think the OP was specifically asking whether individual Barbarian factions had unique features, rather than the game as a whole...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jubilation Martin
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the Ostrogoth cubes smell like blueberries...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.