Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SamIam greeneggsandham
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested at unpub 8 last year and had a blast. This year I registered and got in!! I do have a few questions about it though:

1. Like what should I expect in terms of number of playtests?

2. Is it OK to ask for blind playtests there?

3. Do people go there purely for getting picked up by a publisher, or do some just go for the playtests? (I got the sense from talking to people last year that it was mostly publisher based.) NOTE: I think could get my game (Monaxem) ready for publishing by that time.

Anywho, just thought I’d ask. Any other things you have to say about Unpubs would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Hargrave
United States
Silver Spring
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Number of playtests depends on many factors. If your game is reasonably attractive, and you're willing to do some work to draw people in as they're passing by, you can expect to get close to back-to-back games for most of your time slot on Saturday. Friday and Sunday are a little slower.

Playtesters are a wide mix, from other designers to general public, including some pretty new gamers. You may want to take the measure of your group before asking them to blind playtest. Or find someone else who's going to Unpub and get them agree ahead of time to blind playtest while you're there. It's just a much heavier lift to get people to read the rules if they weren't expecting to.

There are people who bring pitchable games to Unpub, and there are people who bring games that are much earlier in the development process. UnPub's intentions are to serve as a way for people to playtest, and everything else is secondary. That said, there are definitely pitches going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
I started typing this, hoping to add a different perspective to the convo, but a lot of this is echoing the previous comment. At least you now have two people largely agreeing on what you could expect from Unpub.

1) If you have a decent looking table, or a catchy game hook, or enough charisma to get people to come over, you can be as busy playtesting as you want. There are enough playtestesrs that I've always gotten my fill of playtesting at each Unpub I've been to.

2) I do not recommend blind playtesting at Unpub. The nature of the setup makes it difficult for that to work. If you have a 1 page rulebook, then perhaps it would be fine, but for anything that is even moderately involved, I think it would be better to focus on testing other aspects of the game than the rulebook.

3) The main reason to attend Unpub is to test your game with regular people, not publishers, and not even designers (except for after-hours, which is when designers usually play other designers' games). If you're going with the main intent to pitch, then you're not going to get as much out of Unpub as you may expect. Of course, there may be an opportunity to pitch, but it's not guaranteed. This concern was something brought up a lot last year, and my understanding is that there will be changes to keep the focus on playtesting with the public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.