United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say the winner is:
1) The person with the most points.
2) If tied, the person with the most completed tickets.
3) If still tied, person with the Longest Continuous Path card.

The last tiebreaker doesn't make sense. In our five player game last night, two of us tied for most points and had completed the same number of tickets but neither of us held the Longest Continuous Path card. So surely we wouldn't award victory to the person holding the Longest Continuous Path card even though he was fourth in points? We ruled that the final tiebreaker should be the winner is the person with the longest continuous path among those players still tied for the lead.

Sound correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Tiebreaker Question
m_r_tyler (#36966),
yes, it does! we should have made it clearer (it doesn't happen that often, fortunately )
eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of which, how is that possessor of the longest chain card supposed to work. The rules say that two (or more) people could all get the 10 point bonus by tying for the longest route. If that's the case, there is no need for the card.

In the first game I played, the person instructing us had us handle it like the longest road in Settlers. Each time a person surpassed another for the longest chain, they got the card. That way, only one person actually held the card at the end of the game and only that person got the 10-point bonus (and the tiebreaker).

Which is the correct way to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Randy Cox (#37180),

The 10 point bonus isn't rewarded until the end of the game, so your friend instructed your group incorrectly. Really the card is unnecessary other than a reminder that the bonus exists.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox (#37180),
We played this last Saturday for the 1st time where the bonus is awarded at the end of the game. However, I do like your idea much better. Giving the card to the player with the current longest route is a nice way of identifying that possible lead (in conjunction with the point track). I was unaware that everyone got the points if tied. I must have missed that in our rules reading, but I guess it could happen.

Your way makes for a great variant or house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox (#37180),
interesting idea. the default rule is that it is indeed a soft tie-break (ie all tied for longest each get the 10 point bonus), with the card being there purely as a reminder. but your house rule would be fun to try out.
eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 10 point bonus is shared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atticus wrote:
The 10 point bonus is shared.

If by "shared", you mean each player tied for longest continuous path gets 10 points, then yes. The points are not split between them.

As for the official answer to the original thread's question: that's too bad. I think it would be more fun if a player who wasn't tied for most point but had the longest continuous path could snag a victory using that "tiebreaker".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.