Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can someone explain how wild Magic checks and surges work? The heroes of wild rule ok says under Magic check, when you use sorcery points, perform a wild Magic check: if you draw an arcane card, you perform a wild Magic surge. Then the next section says wild Magic surges happen whenever you fail a wild Magic check. Is drawing a non-arcane card a failure? Wouldn't that mean 100% wild Magic surge Everytime you use sorcery points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's use an example:

The sorcerer has a hand of Sorcery, Confusion
During the Play Cards phase, the sorcerer plays Sorcery to generate 2 sorcery points. Then the sorcerer plays Confusion which normally does AA damage, but the sorcerer chooses to use their Empowered Spell - Metamagic feature. Now the card will do AA2.

Fast forward past the Deal Damage, Take Damage, Replenish, Market phases we get to the End Turn phase. Now according to the Wild Magic Origin feature we need to perform a Wild Magic Check. 2 points were used so we must make the check. We reveal the top card of the Market deck and resolve whether a Wild Magic Surge takes place.

Wild Magic Origin Feature
Quote:
During the End Turn phase of any turn when one or more Sorcery Points are spent, make a Wild Magic Check.

For this example, lets take 2 options: Success/Failure

Option 1: Success
The top market card is Magic Missile (BLUE)
The Wild Magic Check succeeds.
A Dragonfire Card is revealed: Discombobulation
Greater Dispel Magic: The Sorcerer's "In Play" cards are discarded. No other players' "In Play" cards are dispelled since the Wild Magic Surge only applies to the Sorcerer and his encounters.
Then the Gnoll Pack in front of the Sorcerer must save or it can be moved to another character. After the Gnoll pack fails its save. The Sorcerer chooses to move the Gnoll Pack to the Fighter even though that would have it attack sooner than if it stayed here in front of the sorcerer (The Gnoll Pack is down to its last level M - and there was a plan that the Fighter would use Flaming Oil next turn). The other encounters in front of other players do not make the saves because the Wild Magic Surge Dragonfire card only applies to the Sorcerer's encounters.
Instead of being discarded and increasing the Dragonfire level, Discombobulation is buried under the Dragonfire deck. Edit: This actually stays there until the End Turn phase of the next turn the sorcerer has.
Magic Missile is placed back on top of the Market deck to be drawn the next time a Market card is needed.

Option 2: Failure
The top market card is Twist the Knife (Red)
Nothing happens
Twist the Knife is placed back on top of the Market deck to be drawn the next time a Market card is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After typing all of that, I realized what your real question was. Most skill checks and saves consider "Success" as matching the color. These 2 rules contradict.

Wild Magic Check
Reveal the top card of the Market Deck. If the card's color is blue, a Wild Magic Surge immediately occurs. The revealed Market card, regardless of outcome, is placed back on top of the Market Deck.
Wild Magic Surge
A Wild Magic Surge occurs under either of the following circumstances:
-A failed Wild Magic Check.
-Activation of a Feature that automatically generates a Wild Magic Surge.

I would play it as Blue triggers the surge and ignore the success/failure verbiage since that is a more specific rule and this game favors specific over vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's exactly right. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why it says surge if failed magic check. Augh, frustrating. I guess I have to interpret it that way or else it would make wild Magic sorcerers pretty underpowered.

Nachofan wrote:
After typing all of that, I realized what your real question was. Most skill checks and saves consider "Success" as matching the color. These 2 rules contradict.

Wild Magic Check
Reveal the top card of the Market Deck. If the card's color is blue, a Wild Magic Surge immediately occurs. The revealed Market card, regardless of outcome, is placed back on top of the Market Deck.
Wild Magic Surge
A Wild Magic Surge occurs under either of the following circumstances:
-A failed Wild Magic Check.
-Activation of a Feature that automatically generates a Wild Magic Surge.

I would play it as Blue triggers the surge and ignore the success/failure verbiage since that is a more specific rule and this game favors specific over vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.