Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions after teaching myself the rules:

Timing of "End of Turn" effects

I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this one, but "end of turn" reactions that move a creature into the Hero's space still allow that creature to attack "at the end of the turn" [i.e. the same turn they were moved], right? The creature doesn't have to be there at the "beginning" of the end of the turn, as long as it gets there by the "end" of the end of the turn?

"Courage" ability

I'm confused about how the "Courage" ability unlocked by killing two Spores is supposed to work.

On the reference card, the ability reads: "When you should lose Self Control after a Creature attack, you may force Evil players to reroll 1 Hit result once." Under what circumstances would a Hero lose SC after an attack? Does this refer to when the Hero has zero health and the "spillover" damage is being taken on the SC track instead? Because that would seem to contradict the rule on p. 9 of the Hero Rulebook that spillover damage "does not change the kind of damage for the purpose of applying game rules and card effects".

The entry in the Hero Rulebook is even more confusing: "When you should lose Self Control after a Creature encounter, you may force Evil players to reroll 1 Hit result once". What is a "Creature encounter"? Does this refer to an attack, or would it include when an unrevealed creature enters the Hero's space, causing SC loss? If so, what "Hit results" are being rerolled? Isn't SC loss due to encountering unrevealed creatures automatic?

Stacking danger tokens

Are the Evil players allowed to place multiple danger tokens in the same location? I assumed not during my playthrough, but I don't see anything in the rules specifically prohibiting it.

Do decks reshuffle if they run out?

If the item deck or one of the Evil decks becomes exhausted, is the discard pile reshuffled into a new deck, or is that deck simply unavailable for the remainder of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just going to ask the Courage question too. That was the only thing that stumped our game.

"End of turn" We played so the monster did attack. Seemed natural.
"Stacked danger tokens" doesn't do any extra damage, so we never did it. Plus your only allowed 8 per level. Best to spread them out.
"Reshuffle" the rules don't mention this, so I presume you don't do it. You may have played incorrectly. You have two decks of cards at your disposal. That's 52 card. You can only play 8 max, per round and there are only 4 rounds. Unless you drew from one deck type and wanted to draw more of that type. Then I'd say that this is a handicap. Making the evil play use not just their "trap" cards but to use the "terror" cards as well

just my opinons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Mortarino
Italy
Abbiategrasso
Milano
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Azilut wrote:
A few questions after teaching myself the rules:

Timing of "End of Turn" effects

I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this one, but "end of turn" reactions that move a creature into the Hero's space still allow that creature to attack "at the end of the turn" [i.e. the same turn they were moved], right? The creature doesn't have to be there at the "beginning" of the end of the turn, as long as it gets there by the "end" of the end of the turn?

Yes this is correct.

Azilut wrote:

"Courage" ability

I'm confused about how the "Courage" ability unlocked by killing two Spores is supposed to work.

On the reference card, the ability reads: "When you should lose Self Control after a Creature attack, you may force Evil players to reroll 1 Hit result once." Under what circumstances would a Hero lose SC after an attack? Does this refer to when the Hero has zero health and the "spillover" damage is being taken on the SC track instead? Because that would seem to contradict the rule on p. 9 of the Hero Rulebook that spillover damage "does not change the kind of damage for the purpose of applying game rules and card effects".

There is a mistake in the phrase on the reference card, it should not refer to a Creature attack because as you noted the SC loss is not related to the attack of Creature.

Azilut wrote:

The entry in the Hero Rulebook is even more confusing: "When you should lose Self Control after a Creature encounter, you may force Evil players to reroll 1 Hit result once". What is a "Creature encounter"? Does this refer to an attack, or would it include when an unrevealed creature enters the Hero's space, causing SC loss? If so, what "Hit results" are being rerolled? Isn't SC loss due to encountering unrevealed creatures automatic?

A "Creature encounter" is, as you said, when an unrevealed creature enters the Hero's space or when the Hero enters an unrevealed space with a creature, as eplained in the "Encountering creature" paragraph.
There is a mistake in the phrase of the Courage ability, we know of that and we are working on the rulebook's errata.
The Courage ability wording should be:
Courage: When you should lose Self Control after a Creature
encounter, you may force Evil players to roll 1 die. If the result is a Miss, reduce the Self Control damage you take by 1.

Azilut wrote:

Stacking danger tokens

Are the Evil players allowed to place multiple danger tokens in the same location? I assumed not during my playthrough, but I don't see anything in the rules specifically prohibiting it.

No it's not possible to have more than 1 Danger token in the same Sector.

Azilut wrote:

Do decks reshuffle if they run out?

If the item deck or one of the Evil decks becomes exhausted, is the discard pile reshuffled into a new deck, or is that deck simply unavailable for the remainder of the game?

When a Reaction deck or the Item deck is exhausted, take the discards and reshuffle into a new deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That is exactly what I would have houseruled the "courage" ability to, so it's good to know I'm thinking along the right lines.

To follow up on my "end of turn" question, is it correct to say that the creature attack is the last thing that happens in the end of turn phase (i.e. after all reactions are resolved)? Or can you declare the attack at any point during the "end of turn"?

For example, suppose I have a creature in the Hero's space and another in an unrevealed adjacent space. Could I do something weird like 1) attack with Creature A, 2) play a reaction card to move Creature A into the unrevealed space, 3) play a second reaction card to move Creature B into the Hero's space, and then 4) attack with Creature B? (I'm not sure that there would be any advantage to doing it this way, but I'm just curious if it's possible.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azilut wrote:
Thank you! That is exactly what I would have houseruled the "courage" ability to, so it's good to know I'm thinking along the right lines.

To follow up on my "end of turn" question, is it correct to say that the creature attack is the last thing that happens in the end of turn phase (i.e. after all reactions are resolved)? Or can you declare the attack at any point during the "end of turn"?

For example, suppose I have a creature in the Hero's space and another in an unrevealed adjacent space. Could I do something weird like 1) attack with Creature A, 2) play a reaction card to move Creature A into the unrevealed space, 3) play a second reaction card to move Creature B into the Hero's space, and then 4) attack with Creature B? (I'm not sure that there would be any advantage to doing it this way, but I'm just curious if it's possible.)

Yes, you can do that if, for example, the first attack causes the Hero to take damage and then you react to that loss of HP with the red Reaction card "They Smell My Blood" to move another Creature into the Hero Sector. In that case, that Creature can attack the Hero (but the one that already did cannot attack again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.