Keyflower» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keyflower question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Lacroix
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

I just bought Keyflower to play with my friend. I have watched how to play and reviews videos but my question is how does the bidding aspect remain as high after the initial round where you do not know what the other player drew from the bag? For the other seasons, you see the other player choosing a boat and you know what meeples he will have for the next round and so on. Am I missing something here or is that all part of what the game is trying to accomplish?

Lastly, do I need an expansion with the base game for 2 players or not?

Thanks
Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly do not need an expansion. Keyflower plays well on its own, at all player counts.

Not sure I understand your question about bidding remaining as high? Regardless, even knowing the boat your opponent took, you still don't know for sure what their plans are or how much they intend to fight for the spots they want. I wouldn't let that discourage you. The bidding works well in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After re-reading your post, maybe you are asking if bidding remains as intense? If so, my answer would be yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can pass and keep workers for the next round. Not a bad strategy to keep a color hidden from view...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lacroix
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was referring to the intensity and suspense after the first season knowing what your opponent took.

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
First, no, the expansions aren't necessary for the game to be great.

Second, auctions are even more interesting for having some tactical knowledge of what the other player has. Given that the first piece played to a tile locks its color, whether played as a worker or as a bid, the bluffing moves from whether the opponent can bid to how much they want to. Particularly when there are tiles that allow for swapping meeples or gaining greens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing to remember is that your meeples aren't just used for bidding - they are also necessary for activating different tiles, and the activation rules require that colors stay the same once set (just like bidding).

This helps to keep you on your toes about where and when to use different colors. Will you opponent be able to outbid you? Will they even want to spend resources on that tile? Knowing exactly what color meeples each person has can help your evaluation process, but you are rarely 100% certain.

I'd say that Keyflower bids stays very tense throughout the game. Hopefully you'll enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is much more cutthroat at 2P, than at any other count.
Additionally it can be as much about bluffing as it is about bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.