Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if this was done correctly.

Between these images, during the "Add spark step," I was required to add 2 sparks, and rolled Faith #3 each time (the bottom partition with the regular guardian on it).

to

Done correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is correct after the first spark added. For the second one, it's pretty much game over because it looks like you are going to be adding at least 2^4 sparks.

Regardless, I would consult page 13 in the Rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kirby
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Enon,

In my understanding I don't think that's quite correct. I will provide my reasoning below, but I would love someone with more experience at the game to check if my understanding is correct!

I believe this will be the situation after you place the first Spark on Partition 3:

And then the second Spark will require you to add the following Flares:

Obviously the game will be over at that point, as adding the first of those 6 Flares to Partition 4 would require the creation of a Firewall, which would be the 6th Guardian for the game, which can't be done, so is an automatic loss.

This is my reasoning:

-> Add a Spark to #3 (containing a Guardian).
---> This causes a Spark Explosion - therefore add 2 Flares to next partition down (#2).
-----> Add first Flare to #2, which is the third Spark, creating a Firewall.
-----> Add second Flare to #2 (now containing a Firewall). This causes a Spark Explosion - therefore add 2 Flares to next partition down (#1).
-------> Partition #1 already contains a Firewall. So this causes a Chain Reaction, so go to the next partition down but add 1 Flare to the number to place. Therefore, place 3 Flares in Partition #6.
---------> Add first Flare to #6, which is the third Spark, creating a Firewall.
---------> Add second Flare to #6 (now containing a Firewall). This causes a Spark Explosion - therefore add 2 Flares to next partition down (#5).
---------> Add third Flare to #6 (containing a Firewall). Again, a Spark Explosion requires us to add 2 Flares to the next partition down (#5).
-----------> Add first Flare to #5, which is the third Spark, creating a Firewall.
-----------> Add second Flare to #5 (now containing a Firewall). Spark Explosion, add 2 Flares to #4.

Hence the situation in the first photo above. Now, for the second initial Spark from the dice roll:

-> Add a Spark to #3 (containing a Guardian).
---> Spark Explosion, causing a Chain Reaction. Add 2 Flares to #2.
---> Firewall present, therefore move to the next partition and add 1 Flare - so 3 Flares to #1.
---> And so on - now 4 Flares to #6.
---> Now 5 Flares to #5.
---> Now 6 Flares to #4.

Hence the second photo.

OK, as I said, I really don't know if I have this correct, it's just how I'm reading it. If someone knowledgeable can jump in, that will be really helpful! Please forgive me if the detail I've written out above seems condescending at all, it's not intended to be. I'm personally trying to understand these sparking rules, and have just found it helpful to write it all out here in sequence for myself. Jump in and tell me if/where I'm going wrong, by all means, as I need to know myself when I play!

Incidentally, there is an excellent series of videos from the designer on the rules. This short one is about the placement of Sparks and Guardians, and is what I'm basing my understanding from - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_ZSENdhdk&list=PL5UyaJ4tfE....

Cheers,
Asher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my logic:

1. Place Spark on #3 which causes an explosion.
2. Place the first Flare on #2 which creates a Firewall.
3. Place the second Flare on #2 which causes an explosion.
4. Place the first Flare on #1 which causes an explosion.
5. Place the first Flare on #6 which creates a Firewall.
6. Place the second Flare on #6 which causes an explosion.
7. Place 2 Flares on #5.
8. Place the second Flare on #1 which causes an explosion.
9. Place the first Flare on #6 which causes an explosion.
10. Place the first Flare on #5 which creates a Firewall.
11. Place the second Flare on #5 which causes an explosion.
12. Place 2 Flares on #4.
13. Place the second Flare on #6 which causes an explosion.
14. Place the first Flare on #5 which causes an explosion.
15. Place the first Flare on #4 which creates a Firewall.

Game over, but there were many more to keep placing.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that when one "explosion" causes another explosion to happen on the following partition, only one additional spark is placed in the next partition? I could be wrong. Spark explosions greatly confuse me and not sure I ever do them right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be correct. On page 12 under "Chain Reaction". Where it is confusing to me is that if you truly place 1 Flare at a time and follow the Spark Explosion rules, you get the logic that I wrote out. But I don't really grasp how the Explosion and Chain Reaction are different and how that plays into adding one Flare/Spark at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
I think you may be correct. On page 12 under "Chain Reaction". Where it is confusing to me is that if you truly place 1 Flare at a time and follow the Spark Explosion rules, you get the logic that I wrote out. But I don't really grasp how the Explosion and Chain Reaction are different and how that plays into adding one Flare/Spark at a time.

I agree with you! The rules state to place one spark at a time and timing is important but the chain reaction rules sort of contradict that in a way and that is where it really becomes confusing. I hope Ricky can weigh in here soon.

I watched his video on spark explosions and chain reactions but even then I still have confusion. Thankfully, this doesn't happen that often in my games and when it does, I do the best I can with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just eternally confused myself. I hope Ricky comes to clear it up as well lol!

I think we can all agree that the game was over in this situation, even if I don't exactly know how to handle it.

I am with you in that I don;t have this happen a whole lot because I am doing my best to avoid any of these clustering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Asher has it right.

Here you go, in my words...

1.0.0 Would be to add a Spark to Faith-3.
2.0.0 Would be to add a Spark to Faith-3.

1.0.0 1st Spark to Faith-3: causes a Spark Explosion, so add 2 Flares to Faith-2 instead. So 1.0.0 becomes this instead:

1.1.0 would be to add a Flare to Faith-2.
1.2.0 would be to add a Flare to Faith-2.

1.1.0 1st Flare to Faith-2: creates a Firewall, so remove the Sparks(Flares) from Faith-2 and replace them with a Firewall.
1.2.0 2nd Flare to Faith-2: causes a Spark Explosion, so 2 Flares would be added to Faith-1 instead. However, since there is already a Firewall there, we step down one partition and add a 'friend'. i.e. we add 3 Flares to Faith-6 instead. So 1.2.0 becomes this instead:

1.2.1 would be to add a Flare to Faith-6;
1.2.2 would be to add a Flare to Faith-6;
1.2.3 would be to add a Flare to Faith-6;

1.2.1 1st Flare to Faith-6: creates a Firewall, so remove the Sparks(Flares) from Faith-6 and replace them with a Firewall.
1.2.2 2nd Flare to Faith-6: causes a Spark Explosion, so 2 Flares are added to Faith-5 instead.
1.2.3 3rd Flare to Faith-6: causes a Spark Explosion, so 2 Flares are added to Faith-5 instead. The first creates a Firewall; the second causes a spark explosion, so we end up with 2 Flares on Faith-4 instead.

Now we come to the 2nd initial spark:

2.0.0 2nd Spark to Faith-3: causes a Spark Explosion, so 2 Flares would be added to Faith-2 instead. However, since there is already a Firewall there, we step down one partition and add a 'friend'. i.e. we add 3 Flares to Faith-1 instead. This also contains a Firewall, so we step again and add a friend - i.e. 4 to Faith-6. Faith-6 also contains a Firewall, so we step and add a friend again - i.e. 5 Flares to Faith-5; This also contains a Firewall, so we step and add a friend again, i.e. 6 flares to Faith-4. The first of those is the 3rd on Faith-4, so would create a Firewall, but there are none left, so it is game over.

Hope this helps! Well done Asher

RR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'll have to keep this in mind.

If there is an explosion into a partition where there is a Firewall or Guardian...skip over it and add a friend. Keep skipping and adding friends as needed.

I am probably going to remember it now because of the "friends" part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are adding two sparks + a "friend?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:

I am probably going to remember it now because of the "friends" part

BrokenAxe wrote:
So you are adding two sparks + a "friend?"

It was Tylar Allinder, the primary developer at VPG, who first used this expression when he was trying to explain the rules.. it kinda stuck with me and I use it when teaching the game now...

Tylar Allinder
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.