Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon» Forums » General

Subject: More female characters please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristy P
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Where are all the strong female characters? I for one would never wear my bikini into battle..... im a proud backer, but am really hoping for some more female character options. Am i the only one? :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T3MP35T wrote:
Where are all the strong female characters? I for one would never wear my bikini into battle..... im a proud backer, but am really hoping for some more female character options. Am i the only one? :/

+1.

Definitely down for more variety in this sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
T3MP35T wrote:

A game isn't complete without a fierce female fighter type, of course.

We'll probably get one soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+50 on this one. More female characters, it's a sausage fest right now.

T3MP35T wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not the only one.

I hope, we get a woman as beastmaster/hunter. Or even the fallen knight they have a poll about right now.

But I have to say that I'm much more happy about the looks of Mabd and Fyul than about Ailei and Niamh.
I'm also pleased that "The Last Knight" campaign has 2 men and 2 women as player characters. That group is evenly split. So no complaints for The Last Knight.

Let's see what "Age of Legends" brings.

Of course more character options would always be welcome (men or women), but this is a story heavy game and I think a lot of stories are tailored to the specific characters. So I imagine it is hard slotting in additional characters to the 3 campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator.
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, the bikini outfits are poorly done because they are not very original. It didn't look inspired or unique. That was my reason for disappointment with them (not the shown skin - they share that amount with some of the male characters).
But I certainly see an improvement in the female characters we got with the stretchgoals.

And there are worse boardgames with women/men ratio than this one. Certainly not a sausage fest.

I believe, we are heading in the right direction and hopefully the community will vote for some interesting female characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whirble Wind
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's clearly a great deal of demand for board games that use sexual aesthetic with its designs given how well games like TG and KDM are doing.

I'm grateful for the variety and I'd rather the artists make the art they want to make instead of produce more of the homogeneous paste boardgame women designs have predominantly been.

At the end of the day, I'd rather a game feature characters its creator wants, even if that means it's not a game for me. Because that's what it's about: not every game needs to be for every person, nobody is entitled to being catered to or represented and boardgames with designs like Ailei are few and far between. Whether it's more women or less, sexualized or boring, the artist's vision should be the deciding factor. I prefer games with more women than men, but my preference should only guide my purchases, not other people's work.

But as it turns out, this same request was posted on Reddit and Marcin hinted that a "strong female" may be in the works in some way, so it looks like there will be a fair amount of variety by the time it ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:
I hope, we get a woman as beastmaster/hunter.

+1 that sounds very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab C
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for saying it. I almost refused to back this game because many female character designs are dull sexual objects. I mean just look at Ailei, they even put some lipstick on her face because the bikini wasn't enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always down for some awesome ladies taking on the world. When you make a guy with sweet robes or armor, I would also want to see a lady with that style and thought as well.

I would value anything like this that provides more balance to the genders and their treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeArt wrote:
Thanks for saying it. I almost refused to back this game because many female character designs are dull sexual objects. I mean just look at Ailei, they even put some lipstick on her face because the bikini wasn't enough.

That's not lipstick ... Her lips are stained with berry juice ... From foraging ... She was hungry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeArt wrote:

That was one of my first impressions, and quite the eye rolling one at that.

Thankfully, as I've scrutinized the art closer, I've warmed up to their aesthetic, and find the poor design choices aren't unique to the female depictions (Sloan doesn't have a shirt.... in winter?).

Whirblewind wrote:

At the end of the day, I'd rather a game feature characters its creator wants, even if that means it's not a game for me.

Right, well, ameliorate all you want, but the simple fact the developers actively communicate with their fanbase to determine elements of the design means your view is in the AR minority. If they want to ask me which one of 5 images should be used for the next Traveler (ala: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/tainted-gr...), then they can hear and take this under advisement as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Candacis wrote:
I hope, we get a woman as beastmaster/hunter.

This is pretty much what Fyul is. From update 6:

Quote:
New Stretch Goal! Fyul the Wyrdhuntress

When we’ve asked what character’s you’d like to see in the upcoming “Age of Legends” campaign, many of you mentioned a falconer, a ranger type character, a monster hunter, or a heavily armed female. Well, the good news is you don’t have to wait for the third campaign or rely on community votes! Because that’s exactly what we have already prepared as a final character Stretch Goal of Act 2

Other than that, I totally agree with this post. I'd love to see the remainder of the characters for Age of Legends be female. In addition, I'd like them to be representations of women that I'm happy to expose to the women in my gaming group, or my son. I thought they made big improvements on the women for The Last King.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
Check my instagram @feeltheboardgame and Youtube @Feeltheboard
badge
Ouch, my nose.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone at ALL. My wife made the same question. Where's the strong woman, martial and dressed like someone who doesn't want to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NingaubleOTSE wrote:
FreeArt wrote:

That's not lipstick ... Her lips are stained with berry juice ... From foraging ... She was hungry.

What's funny-- other than she's got green skin, so why is red lips lipstick? Is that the man right above her (Beor) has blue skin and lavender lips. I guess the shirtless, blacksmith apron wasn't sexy enough for his design either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Robb
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
female characters dressed appropriately for the setting would be cool....ooh and in my eyes, and reference to someones comment on the size of one of the female characters arms, just because a woman is 'muscular' it doesnt make her 'strong'. A strong female character is one that doesnt fall into the same tired visual genre tropes....and one that focuses on character rather than what she looks like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly if you look at the Male characters they are just as under dressed especially for the climate they are supposed to be represented in.

However i for one could really care less if the characters are male or female as i am going to play either based solely on the class they represent or what interesting things they can do. Solid game mechanics and fun play is way more important than what the characters look like or are dressed like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
nukesniper wrote:
I'm always down for some awesome ladies taking on the world. When you make a guy with sweet robes or armor, I would also want to see a lady with that style and thought as well.

I would value anything like this that provides more balance to the genders and their treatment.

The fact the Arthurian Legend finds it origins well before the romantic version of the middle ages in the time of the druids. Its more likley that both male and female warriors would have worn less than more for agility. Not to mention since AR have gone with the depiction of the picts, there bodies would have been fully painted in blue and earthy tones for battle, not just tattoed.

One tactic of battle the picts used was to ambush by hiding in water or trees. In both cases heavy wearing clothing would hinder as they would loose agility. Modern socity may not like it, but the fact is the warrior women at the time would bound their breast for battle not for modesty, but for practicality in the same way an elite female athelite today will wear a sports top. They would have not had the same hang ups as our socity has over clothing cause for them life was all about the survival of the tribe as a unit. Pict female warriors were equals who would have been as brutally as violent in battle as the men.

Edit: I should also add, this was not a culture ruled by men. Druid priestess were some of the most influential members of society at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want a beautiful mini, doesn't have to be "politically correct"
Same for the male minis. I want exaggerated proportions. This isn't national geographic its all fantasy. I'm hopeful well see some of that in this game. The KS exclusive looks good. Beof looks good. They can follow along those lines. I like the variety they have, they seem like an oddball mix and match. But Id like to see more 50/50 split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
metony mous
msg tools
mb
Dawedu wrote:

When men are shirtless in portrayals like this, it's to highlight their physical strength. When women are skimpily dressed in these portrayals, it's to highlight their sexuality.

Well, how would you want them to portray male sexuality if not this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
bearn wrote:
Honestly if you look at the Male characters they are just as under dressed especially for the climate they are supposed to be represented in.

However i for one could really care less if the characters are male or female as i am going to play either based solely on the class they represent or what interesting things they can do. Solid game mechanics and fun play is way more important than what the characters look like or are dressed like.

True, for all I care the minis could all be replaced by tokens or meeples. Problem there is KS backers love their minis. Maybe when the next round of US tarrifs start hitting products containg plastics coming out of China people may rethink simply because its ultimately the end user who pays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.