Subject: Where Does Your Gaming Group Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Where does everyone out there go to play games? At a private residence or at your FLGS? Does everyone out there use their FLGS to invite players to your group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primarily at company's cafeteria (employer of some group members).

Occasionally someone's house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
90% of our gaming is at our residence. My wife and I are empty nesters so we have lots of room. I have been involved in hosting public venue and private venue events.

Depending on what the nature of your needs or questions, I did a blog on BGG awhile back to help people with getting their game groups off the ground.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/148/thoughts-creating-and-gro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Primarily at a friend's house (or 2-player games with my wife at home).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play mostly at my table on the patio. Right by the beach. No biggie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Where does everyone out there go to play games? At a private residence or at your FLGS? Does everyone out there use their FLGS to invite players to your group?

Conventions (I run four per year, myself), Friday nights at a church that lets us use their space as-available (we make nominal contributions) until the wee hours, Tuesday night at a friend's house or my place. Rarely at a FLGS, since their hours are too restrictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play in my son's mom's basement.

Pete (tries to make it sound as dorky as it really is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursdays at Panera. We go to the back room and take the long table in the middle of the room. The next group of gamers takes one of the side tables, the next, another side table. Our attendance usually stops at 12.

Saturdays at a college. We have a large room with many tables that we configure however we need. We play from 8:00am until 6:00pm. A college gaming group comes in as we are leaving.

Once a month at someone's house. There were three tables playing last week when I was there. It's arranged through MeetUp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB Shimmyo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekly at the mead hall's public games night, and our group of friends that met there also do some weekend game afternoons at people's houses.
Occasionally a cafe games night organized by some other friends outside that group.
I do go to one FLGS's game library when it's quiet, and their environment seems like their open gaming nights would be a good fit, but I haven't gone yet to one.
I'm weighing whether to sign up to teach a game at a small local convention in January...

I really liked some of the posts in Bixby's blog - particularly about problems that happen when groups grow, being a welcoming ambassador in a public setting, and the code of conduct (things that one takes for granted until encountering someone who doesn't abide by it...)

Some other threads I've seen around here about managing food and people at a private games event have also been useful for ideas, even if not directly applicable. It would be fun to have a slow-cooker-potluck long games day sometime, where everyone brings a slow cooker of uncooked things and starts it when they arrive, and 4-8 hours later we're grazing on delicious things. Garlic in a slow cooker does sometimes produce an acrid odor though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The place I currently play the most is at a weekly game night at a meeting room at work as part of a company sponsored gamers club.

I have also gamed at the following locations:
-People's homes
-Library conference rooms
-Church basement
-FLGS
-College conference room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly at home, but also fairly often at the local pub and at other convention venues (big or small). But it's all driven by the best and most convenient gaming options.

I play at our house a lot as it's most available for impromptu gaming and the most comfortable environment in terms of chairs and facility. But I will go where the gaming is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
'My' gaming group plays at my home.

I also go to the FLGS and other events, where impromptu groups are formed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly at our FLGS, though we've played a great deal at our house with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a long-standing gaming group that gets together a couple of times a year:

• At a small convention in May that we've been running for 30 years.

• At someone's house for a weekend-long invitation-only housecon in October.

• On New Years Day, typically at my place.

• Occasionally otherwise as time allows.

Beyond there there are some local meet-ups at restaurants/bars that I go to from time to time. My goal for 2019 is to go to these more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wednesday night board game group meets at Larry's house, about a mile from my house.

My monthly board game group called G.A.S.P. (Gaming Assoc. of Southwestern Pennsylvania) meets at a church.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We take turns hosting at our houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At a church:

For those in Arizona: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1723795/chandler-arizon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Laffey
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At home with my wife when playing 2 player and at the library when we are a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
At one of our homes. We all have huge collections, so games mostly from the local collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper B. Hansen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play in my small apartment. I think it makes sense, since I am the sole game provider!

richcharters wrote:
At a church:

surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise!!!

I seem to read/hear that alot of people play at/in churches.

I have been in about 10 different churches but have never seen one, that haves rooms set up for gaming or other hobby aktivities!

In our churches as far as I know, they have about one big room (and maybe small office for priest) and that room is filled with rows of seats and is used for Weddings, Funerals, Sunday Preaching and so forth. They certienly do not have a room like in your picture

Maybe it is difference of culture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee t
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I've been watching you too, I promise not to keep you long, I'll keep you forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
looks to be.....a basketball hoop...in church?..............Oh and me.........I play in my kitchen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
My house. My home has a "dining room" that has become the game room. (Who needs a dining room, anyway?)

I organize and host game nights because I have space, I have games, and only I have the desire and commitment to make sure it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:

After looking at this picture, I figured there was a good chance I was dealing with another BYU grad. Yep. Go cougs!

Da Senzai wrote:

Maybe it is difference of culture?

Yes. Yes, it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:

That just links to the picture that you already embedded. On that picture's page, it appears to be part of "Twelve Oaks Game Night", but that links to https://boardgamegeek.com/null. Is it a defunct guild or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Patterson
United States
Philadelphia Region
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group happens to be a meetup goup that I have been organizing for about 1.5 years.

We meet at the Marple Library in Broomall, PA two nights per week and sometimes on a Saturday.

We also meet at the Boro Hall of Swarthmore, PA each Sunday.

We originally met at a few different members' homes, but we now rely on public locations. This has been working well - lots of convenient parking, usually no food while playing, and better safety for every one concerned.

We might be considering a local diner for some additional future gaming events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.