Subject: NJ Gerrymandering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Just to head off later criticism from any conservatives we have left, I thought I’d mention that it sucks when Democrats do it, too. I support representative democracy, not this anti-representational crap. But the fact that a small number of blue states pursue gerrymandering doesn’t mean that both sides do it equally; obstacles to representation are far more widespread on the right, and conservatives who care about representative democracy still have a responsibility to speak out against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the NJ gerrymandering is horrifically bad, and the fact that it primarily comes from a small group of political dynasties trying to permanently enshrine themselves rather than an organized party effort is no real consolation; the Democrats should step on this hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
NJ Dems should fucking well behave. It's wrong to gerrymander, and it's particularly stupid politically right now since it gives the GOP a shred of political cover for their ongoing crimes against democracy in Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
NJ Gerrymandering is *awesome.* The more egregious the better.

If nothing else, it brings us one step closer to the Supremes shutting it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerrymandering is an anathema to democracy and no one should be doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting rid of district-based voting would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
theapostlegreen wrote:
Getting rid of district-based voting would help.

Or larger, multi-member districts. But that’s the sort of thing that would require a lengthy, massive debate in order to get an amendment passed, and its plausible to me that eliminating districts wouldn’t be the ideal solution if we’re going that radical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

Single member districts are anathema to democracy. The way to fix the gerrymandering problem isn't to make gerrymandering illegal, it is to make it ineffective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
sfox wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Single member districts are anathema to democracy. The way to fix the gerrymandering problem isn't to make gerrymandering illegal, it is to make it ineffective.

Why not both?.gif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The craziest option, which would not help the no case, is to have districts, but elect proportionally by state. So if you have 10 districts, and a party wins the votes 60/40, you sort the districts, and the 6 representatives of the first party with the highest vote total go to congress, whether they won or not: most of the time, the losers that would still go to congress would have lost by the least.

This has its own set of problems: Good luck with an independent winning a district, and political families would gerrymander themselves to the safest seats anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
sfox wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Why not both?.gif

Certainly fixing gerrymandering would be good, but multi member districts are the only real solution. With a multi member district, gerrymandering has almost zero effect. Put a ton of Democrats in a single district and you just end up with 4 or 5 Democrats coming out of the multi member district. Split the district 55% R and 45% D and you get 2 Republicans, 2 Democrats, and one tossup.

The Fair Representation Act, which from what I understand is completely constitutional, would do just that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lets-change-how-we-e...
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3057...

Ranked choice in single member districts is almost pointless. Ranked choice in multi member districts, however, works very well. The main point here is that the US Constitution specifically grants the power to the federal government to pass laws on how the states run elections for the House. It doesn't require a constitutional amendment, all it requires is passing a law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An Island
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:

I wasn't aware Diana Ross had such power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGrimReeple wrote:
EMBison wrote:

I wasn't aware Diana Ross had such power.
You can't hurry law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: The PA Gerrymandering thing earlier this year

An FB conservative friend of mine said that PA Dems were guilty of gerrymandering because the newly drawn lines were a benefit for them. I asked him how so and he said that they changed the lines from what the PA Repubs drew to a different configuration therefore CHANGING the outcome that was better for them.

I said you mean more fair for Dems? He said no, the lines that were changed were better for Repubs but now they aren't so that's Gerrymandering on the Dems part.

I stopped replying after that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
RE: The PA Gerrymandering thing earlier this year

An FB conservative friend of mine said that PA Dems were guilty of gerrymandering because the newly drawn lines were a benefit for them. I asked him how so and he said that they changed the lines from what the PA Repubs drew to a different configuration therefore CHANGING the outcome that was better for them.

I said you mean more fair for Dems? He said no, the lines that were changed were better for Repubs but now they aren't so that's Gerrymandering on the Dems part.

I stopped replying after that...

Braindead partisans suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:

Good point. The real solution might be for blue states to gerrymander just as hard so that there is bipartisan interest in getting rid of it once and for all. Maybe through constitutional amendment even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any kind of "good" argument for Gerrymandering in favor of Republicans?

I know it sounds bat-shit crazy but other than power-grab is there a reasonable argument to be made for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Is there any kind of "good" argument for Gerrymandering in favor of Republicans?

As fewer people support their politics, it wouldn't be fair to them without it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

As fewer people support their politics, it wouldn't be fair to them without it?

Yeah, my querry pretty much ends there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

I know it sounds bat-shit crazy but other than power-grab is there a reasonable argument to be made for it?

If you sincerely believe Republicans and their policies are good, and Democrats and their policies are bad, then gerrymandering - only in favor of Republicans - is good.

Not MY THEORY - I'm nearly 180 degrees opposite on that. But A "good" argument, though you have to believe the premises...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so the New Jersey gerrymander is dead for now, and I want to note that the primary opposition to it came from Democrats and lefties even though it was "their side" poised to benefit

just to remember the next time someone pulls the both-sides canard out of their ass, is all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
mightygodking wrote:
so the New Jersey gerrymander is dead for now, and I want to note that the primary opposition to it came from Democrats and lefties even though it was "their side" poised to benefit

just to remember the next time someone pulls the both-sides canard out of their ass, is all

I wouldn't say the new plan was primarily opposed by democrats. It was pretty much universally opposed by republicans. The article is focusing on the relatively small number democrats who were opposing it because republicans opposition it was a given. The main argument of the democrats to oppose the plan is that it would be used as an example to legitimize republican gerrymandering in other states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.