Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got the expansion a few days ago and realized there was no way I was fitting everything in the core box. So I thought, if I ditched some of the meeples and got rid of as many boards as possible it might work. I haven't tried yet, but through that thought process I put together this playmat. Anyone have any ideas to make it better?

EDIT:

I've posted the file:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/173911/custom-playmat-bas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link doesn't seem to be working? Great idea though!

*edit, apparently the issue is on my end, so carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty dope. I would keep the scoring track oriented the same as everything else, and add "pass" text to phase 2. Nice job!

Edit: I like that you included the blueprint scoring and other references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
And pandasaurus said it couldn't be done! hahahahaha

But in all seriousness... why wouldn't they come up with this?? This is so much better than 3 boards and open table space. haha.

Doesn't the cold storage technically need a few more spaces for 5 players though?

Be prepared for them to tell you to take it down though. lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and nice work. I think this game would really soar with a playmat. For me, personally, though, I would recommend laying it out like this:

I think the board would be easier to read like this (excuse the hatchet job, the image I added was just a quick mockup), regardless of where you sit on the table. In my experience it is easier to read game boards upside down that it is for everyone to cock their heads sideways to read a sideways board.

Component sizing would have to be altered, depending on what size playmat you are shooting for. The image I added would potentially work for a 14 x 28 playmat from inkedgaming.com. The spots for the cards and pieces of cardboard would have to be scaled correctly for the components though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have this playmat. haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
Great idea and nice work. For me, personally, though, I would recommend laying it out like this:

I think the board would be easier to read like this (excuse the hatchet job, the image I added was just a quick mockup), regardless of where you sit on the table. In my experience it is easier to read game boards upside down that it is for everyone to cock their heads sideways to read a sideways board.

What about the people who sit on the sides? But I do see your point.. that does feel easier to process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naked Meeple
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Thats nice.. since its laid out like that would a 0-100 victory point track around the board be out of the question? I just really like that look better than the 10x5 grid

Edit: ohh and maybe a small side track by the 0 for people who like to go negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nguyen
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I was thinking the same thing about the score track around the board. I like this alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heathbarATL wrote:
That's pretty dope. I would keep the scoring track oriented the same as everything else, and add "pass" text to phase 2. Nice job!

Edit: I like that you included the blueprint scoring and other references.

Thanks! I went back and forth on the orientation for the scoring track. I may switch it back. When you say add "pass" next to Phase 2 do you just mean the word? To remind players they can pass?

Wyndam22 wrote:

Hmm, now you have me torn. I originally thought it might be best if no one has to read upside down. But this does perhaps feel more natural. I'll have to mull it over.

Chigatterun wrote:
Thats nice.. since its laid out like that would a 0-100 victory point track around the board be out of the question? I just really like that look better than the 10x5 grid

Edit: ohh and maybe a small side track by the 0 for people who like to go negative.

I had the same thought but then got lazy and started the design without it. Then I got enough into it that having the track around the mat would require me to cram everything closer into the middle. I might play around to see if I can make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naked Meeple
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I had the same thought but then got lazy and started the design without it. Then I got enough into it that having the track around the mat would require me to cram everything closer into the middle. I might play around to see if I can make it work.

If you keep the original board you made, you can make the excitement track in a single line below turn order, similar to influence tracks in many games. then have VP wrap around easily. I wish i knew how to print your playmat, it would look awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chigatterun wrote:
Quote:

If you keep the original board you made, you can make the excitement track in a single line below turn order, similar to influence tracks in many games. then have VP wrap around easily. I wish i knew how to print your playmat, it would look awesome!

Don't wrap the VP. Leave it at 50. The tokens in the game are at +50. Most of my games lap it twice anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
That really looks magnificent. Nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Y
Canada
Pickering
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this!! I would 1000% get this made!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Panda gonna cease and desist this? They did that with the 3D models of the meeples, which are just outlines of dinosaurs. This seems like a bigger IP infraction, so I’d suggest finishing it up and getting the file out before they catch on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orson9999999 wrote:
Is Panda gonna cease and desist this? They did that with the 3D models of the meeples, which are just outlines of dinosaurs. This seems like a bigger IP infraction, so I’d suggest finishing it up and getting the file out before they catch on.

If they're smart they'll take the idea and implement it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larisa Hawley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love this idea! I would take a play mat for this in a hot second!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Roadhouse
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
These are awesome podcasts/YouTube channels
badge
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was split in hand and each half was the same size as the box then it would be perfect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely invest in a play mat like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that mat is fantastic!!

I prefer a VP track that is in one area, as you have it in the first post. I've found the wrap-around VP tracks require players to scan the entire mat to find everyone's placement, and also, players often bump the tokens because they are on the perimeter of the mat and they weren't aware a token was in front of them. I'm pretty soured on VP tracks around the outside of mats.

Hopefully you issue a super hires version we can have printed out. I would print it in a heartbeat! Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to share the file but I'd need Pandasaurus' permission since it does have their logos and such. If they are planning on selling a mat they probably don't want any sort of user created version going around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rawFrenzy wrote:
I'd love to share the file but I'd need Pandasaurus' permission since it does have their logos and such. If they are planning on selling a mat they probably don't want any sort of user created version going around.

technically you would only need permission for uploading it... privately sharing is a lot harder for them to control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it's not for sale in any way, we're ok with this being uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
PSG Hunter wrote:

If it's not for sale how do I get one? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSG Hunter wrote:

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.