Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go again!

Pete (makes sure not to quote the radioactive material)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is a reference to the Women and Gaming forum, that is very explicitly not just for women. We do have some regular male contributors, and anyone independent of gender who posts respectfully will be welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red-Headed_League

Pete (is amused that it will soon have little or no meaning)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed for the eventual train wreck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?

Why don't you just come out and say it - you have a problem with the Women in Gaming forum, right? Because you can't see a reason why a subsegment of our society (both the boardgaming society, as well as society at large) that has been marginalized basically forever might benefit from a space where they don't have to get mansplained to every other post? By the way, men can post in the Women in Gaming forum, with the keys being respectful postings and adding something of genuine value to the discussion at hand. Too many times, guys will go into the Women in Gaming forum simply to be disruptive and contrary, to the benefit of no one.

If I've mistaken your post for a truly earnest question about why there is value in having a forum such as Women in Gaming, you have my apologies, but you need to understand that we see this kind of question used as "debate tactic" around here just a bit too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
If I've mistaken your post for a truly earnest question about why there is value in having a forum such as Women in Gaming, you have my apologies, but you need to understand that we see this kind of question used as "debate tactic" around here just a bit too much.

Perhaps they're confused why wargamers post in the wargames forum, and abstract gamers post in the abstracts forum, instead of everyone posting together in General Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Jarvi
United States
Eureka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea! And we're gonna build a wall, the best wall ever, I know good wall builders. And we're gonna make those non-red heads pay for the wall. (This is incredible sarcasm btw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a group calendar somewhere with a weekly reminder that someone from that group has to come to BGG to complain about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think offering rational arguments to the OP is going to be very fruitful.

Just hit red x and move on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it has been some time since the last time we saw one of these threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP bound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
RSP bound?

More like deletion bound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Since, the OP prefers to approach it passive aggressively and not mention the forum he has issues with directly, I just need to be clear here.

We are talking about the Prince Edward Island forum, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake News.

(If you start with a premise that isn't corresponding to reality, you can end with any confusion you prefer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazer de Vos
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think of the word "segregation" I think of the long history of racial segregation. I don't think it's an appropriate comparison.

Segregation is about official policy. It is a form of power being actualized from above. Such as shop owners and buses excluding people of colour in official signage. Or Residential Schools in Canada literally stealing indigenous children away from families.

The forum you're alluding to is a group of historically (and I'd argue currently) oppressed and marginalized people choosing to form a community space with each other.

Calling into question other people's right to self-organize around a certain identity is itself exclusionary. Especially when the group that doesn't recognize the right to organize, has no history of being oppressed. When men have been in that situation, it has been because of different identities. Not because they were male.

So I suggest people chill out when they've been asked to sit out. It isn't the end of the world. It isn't the same as being marginalized or oppressed. It's more like when adults have their own table at a holiday dinner.

Sometimes people just want a break from the patriarchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Questioning the need for a Women and Gaming is unwelcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.