Hide
2 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Selective Drafting formats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Jones
msg tools
Having played a bit of the Epic App, I see a bit of a problem with just mashing together all the released sets. A lot of the stratagy I see in the base game is knowing what counters to cards exist, and knowing what has been picked/burned. With the base games 120 cards, you see all but 20 in most draft formats. You can pick steel golem knowing your opponent has been passing boardwipes and you picked Lying in Wait. With all the sets thrown in you see maybe 1/3 of the cards in the game total each draft. Lying in Wait might just not be in the set. The set you get might also happen to have all the burn currently printed.

On top of this I am not perfectly happy with the balance of the base set. plucker/muse are still game wining, but also there is some garbage(looking at you dark leader/trihorror/wolfs companion). Good has a lot of constructed oriented synergy that dosn't work right in draft.

Just randomly replacing strong/weak cards with random expansion cards would also obviously cause problems. There are a lot of distributions to maintain. My idea was to specifically replace cards in the base set with similar expansion cards were possible.

Anyone think this is a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make a specific pool of say 120 cards you like and repeatedly use them in dark draft.

I kinda agree with your point, but I enjoy the fun of mashing it all together a lot, and I am ok eith not playing so much around specific cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.