Jesse Anderson
United States
RICHMOND
KY
flag msg tools
badge
www.quackalope.com
mbmb
I recently played Newton at my local board game story and I had a fantastic time. The rules were easy to pick up (despite having a lot going on) the gameplay was quick and interesting, the world felt rich with possibility, and the potential strategies were varied enough that I could play multiple games and still not use or focus on the same mechanic twice. Overall I thought the game was a lot of fun, had depth in difficulty, was easy enough to learn for new Euro players, and left me excited to try and play the game again in a new way.

The Good!
- moderate / easy game to learn for a board gamer
- Lots of player choice with limited moves per round - keeping the game fast paced while encouraging long term strategizing.
- Interesting mix of game styles - Euro game mixed with a deck and hand management system.
- New ways to play every game
- Randomized board and tiles
- Clear text graphics - well laid out and displayed board

The Bad
- Flimsy components (wooden meeples are nice) the cardboard, player boards, and box insert are all thin and unimpressive.
- poor art - some of the art is nice enough but the large player boards are very brown and sometimes images get lost in the color
- Some balance issues depending on strategy choices (you have to commit from the start of the game)
- Not a educational game (limited to no historical or thematic information)

The Neutral
- Little player interaction - you remove some single use tiles and some cards cause unintended problems for others - but this is very much a play your own game style of board game. You are all playing on the same system but don't impact each-other outside of point gathering
- Lack of depth in win conditions - just get points, focus on point, get them quick and early. There are very little other conditions to win and often if you don't focus on point gathering you will be behind before the game is half over.
- You can not use every mechanic or system of the game without multiple games. I only used 3 of the 5 main board mechanics during my gameplay and that was common for the table.
- 1.5-2 hour play time.
- Best with 3-4 players
- limited card choice in the end game (we had most of the lower stacks used up.)

Last Thoughts - this is a fun game overall if you like a euro style, hand management game. I would recommend watching a online gameplay video if you are unsure of the flow of the game - but if you are interested, like the style of game, and have a group who often play longer more complex level games this is a great choice! I left the table more than willing to sit down and try a new style of gameplay the second time around!

Best wishes and keep Quacking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.