United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
So I've been wondering about the base cards product for Dominion. Is it worth it to get them and make 5-6 players an option for my copy of Dominion? I mostly play 2-3 player matches but bringing it to game night at my FLGS will become slightly easier.
Is 5-6 players a good thing for beginners? Are there added rules? I might demo this at said FLGS eventually and if there's no supplementary rules to 5-6 player games and it's enjoyable again the option is helpful.
Thanks gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5-6 beginners will make for a really slow game. I’d stick to two groups of 3 which will make everyone feel more involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
5-6 beginners will make for a really slow game. I’d stick to two groups of 3 which will make everyone feel more involved.

Indeed. It’s awfully dull at 5 with lots of downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think it's worth adding the 5-6 player ability for the reasons already given. If you have more 5 or 6 players, there are better games at that count, such as Keyflower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules for 5-6 players are included in the Intrigue rulebook (http://riograndegames.com/Game/306-Dominion-Intrigue):
Dominion Intrigue Rulebook wrote:
Use 15 Province cards with 5 players and 18 Province cards with 6 players. All other Victory card piles are 12 cards each. Use 40 Curse cards with 5 players and 50 Curse cards with 6 players. Games ends when all Province cards are empty or 4 supply piles are empty.

The rules also mention, as the previous posters have suggested (and I agree):
Dominion Intrigue Rulebook wrote:
A single game for 5 or 6 players is not recommended for new players.

That being said, I do enjoy having a spare Base Cards set (the "Gold Brick", as it's sometimes affectionately called). It's nice for those times when you do have multiple groups of players, or when you don't feel like transporting the base game box when you are planning to just play expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Far better to have two games of 3 than a 5-6 player game. There is too much downtime and the game moves too slowly with more than 4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played lots of games of Dominion with 5-6 players. If you have a 6 player group and the group's goal is to play Dominion, splitting into two three-person games is an excellent idea, and having an extra set of base cards will let you do that. If you have a 6 player group and the group's goal is to play a game *together*, Dominion is still an excellent game and having the base cards will let you do that.

If your goal is just to teach new players to play Dominion, you don't need the expansion cards -- teaching up to three newbies is enough work by itself. With that said, it again depends on the group. If you're teaching experienced gamers I think they'd prefer a smaller player count. If you're teaching new gamers in a social setting, I've had great success introducing couples to Dominion in 5-6 players games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.