Hide
7 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Variants

Subject: Need help balancing custom role rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aapo Sassi
msg tools
I'm making some custom role cards as a christmas gift and I came up with this.

"As an action, discard a City card matching the city you are in to draw a random Event card from the pile of unused events."
I'm just not sure if it's too weak. Also is it easy to understand? What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy enough to understand. My initial reaction would honestly be that it might be too strong. Events can be a big deal, and all you have to do to get a guaranteed event is give up 1 city card? On the other hand, some events are the opposite of a big deal, so it could be a crap shoot - ironically it could even be a power that gets worse the more expansions you have.

I don't know, I think that's something that would really need to be playtested to get a truly good idea of whether its overpowered or underpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if that would be a fun role to play.

It makes the game too easy you can always adjust by making the game harder of fun. It sounds like an excellent Christmas gift, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems reasonable, actually. Check out the Vestalis role from Pandemic: Fall of Rome which does a similar thing:

At any time, discard a City card matching a color of your city to draw 1 card from your Event deck.

During the Draw 2 Player Cards step, you may draw 3 Player cards; put 1 of them back on top of the deck.

Your role adds the restriction of the city card matching (instead of just the colour) which makes it harder to use - but the Vestalis also has the powerful ability of also choosing two of the next three player cards (and is also slightly worse at Battling, which is roughly equivalent to treating disease).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha Martysh
Ukraine
Dnipro
flag msg tools
mb
It is easy to understand.
But i am in doubt if it would be interesting to play such role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is clear what the power is. I thought it would be too powerful but since you have to be in the city (not the color) of the card you're discarding, I think it might be too weak.

I like event cards and I think this might be alot of fun. I suggest you test it out against your normal winning percentage and see how it works.

You might also want to come up with a theme for your character (an appropriate name). Maybe the Celebrity (raises fund for special events).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick White
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the roles in the box are not balanced I would play whats fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.