Subject: Fix for having less heroes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,

im about to play my first zombicide BP game solo and i realy dont like it that i need to use 4-6 heroes at once.

I have read all the rules and it seems like that the difficulty is purely based on the amount of zombies that spawn.

If i cut the amount of zombies that spawn in half and also use half of the heroes, wouldnt it balance out? Like i should spawn 4 walkers, i will only place 2.

Having half of the heroes means half of the action points which should be equal again when having to fight half the enemy forces? i intend to round up the number on uneven spawns.

Only thing that wont balance is the amount of zombies total, so there wont be extra activations that quick.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that could work.and another idea less spawn points?..although that might alter the objectives as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
This question comes up every few months, so you’re not alone in wanting to play the game with fewer heroes.

Variants for fewer heroes usually look something like what you propose, but note that it’s a very imperfect solution. The entire design of the scenarios is based around six survivors, so using a small number is much more difficult than spawn numbers alone can account for.

Consider some of the other factors:

- Map size and objectives (number and position) are based on having six characters available to cover ground and pursue strategy. 2-3 characters will have a very hard time with the widely-spaced map elements.

- Bad rolls can be punishing in this game. With six survivors, any one should rarely be alone. If one survivor has a poor set of attack rolls, they have another one or two to back them up. A lone survivor or small group is much more likely to get wiped out by a single bad luck turn.

These elements feed into each other. Widely-spaced objectives encourage splitting up, but splitting up is dangerous without back up. Sticking together is safer, but too slow; zombies will build up to dangerous levels.

The outcome of all this is that, if you choose to play a small survivor game, you should be pragmatic and understand that the game may play out awkwardly or you might lose suddenly to a couple bad rolls. Knowing this going in might save you some frustration as you’ll know what to expect.

Two more final pieces of advice:

1. If you haven’t tried full survivor-count plays, try it at least once. The dashboards make it easy to manage so many characters and many solo gamers have found it more fun than they anticipated. You may not like playing six, but you should give it one fair chance to be sure.

2. If you are doing low survivor count, it’s better to randomize which spawn points activate than cutting their numbers. For example, if you are playing half the recommended number of survivors on a map with four spawn points, don’t remove two. Also don’t spawn half as many in each spot. Instead, randomize which two spawns to use each turn. Otherwise, the game will become too predictable and you’ll negate the primary strategic challenge of Zombicide.

Good luck with your experiment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
This question comes up every few months, so you’re not alone in wanting to play the game with fewer heroes.

Variants for fewer heroes usually look something like what you propose, but note that it’s a very imperfect solution. The entire design of the scenarios is based around six survivors, so using a small number is much more difficult than spawn numbers alone can account for.

Consider some of the other factors:

- Map size and objectives (number and position) are based on having six characters available to cover ground and pursue strategy. 2-3 characters will have a very hard time with the widely-spaced map elements.

- Bad rolls can be punishing in this game. With six survivors, any one should rarely be alone. If one survivor has a poor set of attack rolls, they have another one or two to back them up. A lone survivor or small group is much more likely to get wiped out by a single bad luck turn.

These elements feed into each other. Widely-spaced objectives encourage splitting up, but splitting up is dangerous without back up. Sticking together is safer, but too slow; zombies will build up to dangerous levels.

The outcome of all this is that, if you choose to play a small survivor game, you should be pragmatic and understand that the game may play out awkwardly or you might lose suddenly to a couple bad rolls. Knowing this going in might save you some frustration as you’ll know what to expect.

Two more final pieces of advice:

1. If you haven’t tried full survivor-count plays, try it at least once. The dashboards make it easy to manage so many characters and many solo gamers have found it more fun than they anticipated. You may not like playing six, but you should give it one fair chance to be sure.

2. If you are doing low survivor count, it’s better to randomize which spawn points fire than cutting the numbers. For example, if you are playing half the recommended number of survivors on a map with four spawn points, don’t remove two. Also don’t spawn half as many in each spot. Instead, randomize which two spawns to use each turn. Otherwise, the game will become too predictable and you’ll negate the primary strategic challenge of Zombicide.

Good luck with your experiment!

I endorse it to a comma. I also like (a lot) the final piece of advice #2. An elegant solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak logan
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
You can play most of the quests with 4 heroes.. use 6 heroes on 9-tile quests or one spawn zone less..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
IMO randomizing spawns is the best option here. You still can play with just 4 heroes, a little more challenging but still possible to complete the quest. I don't think less than 4 heroes works at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually played through the campaign with 4 heroes, but one modification:

First, we all used ultimate survivors.

Second, I gave everyone +1 action (just a house rule at this point for ultimate survivors).

Other than that, things were the same (read: objectives/setup/spawns/etc), and it played pretty well. Granted, there was a whole book of other house rules on top of it, but those two together allowed 4-hero games to feel pretty similar to 6-hero. I know OP was asking for 3 or less, but just throwing this out there as an option for those who get 4-player games going and want everyone to have a single survivor. Still haven't found a good middle ground for 5 survivors/players, too dang tricky. 4 players everyone gets an ultimate with +1 action, and at counts 6, 3, 2, and 1, you can divide up 6 survivors just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Madness handles this differently, but they use more spawn points that fire in a round robin arrangement. They give extra actions to heroes based on the missing actions. This may help you get closer to full spawns. I have not tried it, but I've been wanting to since playing DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.