Popular Tags: [View All]
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been played air wargames since 1985 (Air Force from Avalon Hill Game Company).

I own and play a lot of air wargames since then and, when I played Nightfighter Ace one week ago, I realized I knew almost nothing about Nightfighting over Europe in WWII !

As I like playing a game and reading books about the same subject simultaneousy, I have opened my Osprey Duel 51, "Lancaster versus Bf110". Result was amazing ! When I play this game, I really feels simulating what was in the book (weapons, electronics, crew and pilots,...) !

Never before I have understood that this kind of war has been a 1 to 1 fight as opposed to day fighting over Germany ! For example, I have to send a picture of my Osprey book to my gamemate (who I have played a lot of air wargames since many years) when he has said the game was unrealistic !

So, not only we can learn enormously about Nightfighting but,of course, I have to state obviously that Nightfighter Ace is a great game for solo gamers which would quickly know (and unnotice) the game routine mechanics to concentrate on strong narrative and interesting (sometimes difficult) choices.

Lastly, I have posted some (too many ?) threads in 'rule' Forum section. None has been an obstacle to play but only to help me to immerse ( to the Hunter) in this great game !

Thank You M Smith !

I have to leave to jump in my He 219 cokpit. Such a sadness the game stops in Jul-44 cry...but I think it's better to my pilot fate shake...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post and I totally agree. I knew next to nothing about this campaign, but plenty on the American daylight bombing. I have since read a few good books on the subject and continue to play this excellent design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dampenon,

Thanks I also agree, it's always been my feeling that a good wargame teaches a bit about history along the way, and gets a player interested.

You should have your friend read the post by the guy who is writing his thesis on night fighting in Germany. He didn't think it was unrealistic

Finally, no need to apologize for posting a lot. First off, it's why we're here, I'd say. Secondly, you have a very sharp eye, and I am grateful for the things you have brought up that I had missed. So I think it's been very nice having you post!

Good hunting! Maybe your next career you can try a different aircraft series.

Cheers, Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.