Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Scythe: The Rise of Fenris» Forums » Rules

Subject: Several questions after finishing campaign - SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

me and wife have just finished campaign, and that was fantastic experience, i cannot wait to play once more with one more friend
After campaign we discussed did we play everything right and we couldnt agree on few topics (of course that we played like my wife thought it would be correct ).
Questions:
1- when we were choosing wich mech mods to use in current episode - who chooses first? Since we was in situation that one player had mod that gives him ability to walk on lakes and lakes are worth +1 territory, while other player had also ability to walk on lakes and for every combat on lake ability to use +1 combat card (like Togawa mech ability).
So timing of choosing mech mods was important. We played that player who goes first has to choose first.

2. e.g. if togawa takes above mentioned mech mod ( that gives him option to get +1 combat card for fighting on lakes) then he could terreticaly have same ability twice. Can he then get +2 combat cards on lake or you cannot use mech mod that is your same ability? P,S; This question is not speciffically for togawa but for all mods that doubles your base mech abilities.

3. endgame scoring - since for last episode 8a every star can be place as jocker/wild card so you can put them wherever you wish. Until the last episonde my wife had on triumph log 4 stars noted on first combat space, and 3 on second. So after episode 8 she took newly aquired stars and place one of them on combat since you can place them anywhere where you wish, and triggerd 25$ bonus. But she placed star in a way that she had 5 combat stars on triumph log on first combat space, and 3 on second combat space. We didnt know was this ok by the rules? Maybe she had to place it different to have 4 stars on first combat space, and 4 on second combat space? We argued since rules say you can place them anywhere you wish and decided it is ok to have stars on log that 5-3 way, and not 4-4. What do you say?

4.Rasputin (Fenris) ability to place influence tokens - we had this situation - Rasputin attacked my Vesna and won combat. By winning combat he got 6th star and game ended. We couldnt agree can he place two more influence tokens or not? Since when combat ended he got 6th star and triggered game end. We decided that he can do that, but i am not sure was this correct per rules.
Same question can be asked for base scythe - you attacked someones mech on encounter marker and win game - we always player that you cannot draw encounte after that because end of game triggers immediately. Please help!

5. Rasputin (Fenris) - on 8A episode got control over Tesla, so since rules say Tesla has all faction and mech abilities and acts as character -->> Fenris faction was placing 4 influence tokens on move, since we thought that Tesla has same ability as Rasputin. That was extermely powerful and hard to fight against.
Was this ok? Can Tesla with that ability place traps as togawa, so togawa could place 2 traps per turn, and flags as albion?

6. Reinforce mech mod - how does this work? Can you give some examples? Lets say i move 3 of my mechs towards factory and on factory is enemy mech. One of my 3 mechs reaches factoy, and two ohter mech comes adjacent since they doent have enough move. So by reinforce they get option to move one space further and join attack? Is ths correct or i misunderstood?

7. Fenris mech ability - horrify - when fenris manages to retreat opponents units he gives them 1 influence per retreated unit. So when you attack one space - mech and 4 workers and win do you give them 5 influence, or only 1 influence since mech can carry workers?
Is this ability passive, by that i mean someone attacks fenris and lost combat you also can give them influence?

After all this questions i have one comment.
Fenris Leap ability that gives him option to hop around in straight line - it is one of greatest abilities ever. If is like +1 speed combined with ability to walk over any river. Great. And with factory card you can: jump 2 spaces, and then move one space, or jump 2 spaces and then 2 again, which gives you movement of 4, hardly predictable and hard to defend for yours opponent.

New fations are great, fenris is strong and interesting Vesna also!

Thx for your time and answers


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Simicic wrote:
1- when we were choosing wich mech mods to use in current episode - who chooses first? Since we was in situation that one player had mod that gives him ability to walk on lakes and lakes are worth +1 territory, while other player had also ability to walk on lakes and for every combat on lake ability to use +1 combat card (like Togawa mech ability).
So timing of choosing mech mods was important. We played that player who goes first has to choose first.


Generally they are chosen simultaneously, but in times like these when there are any disputes, they are chosen in turn order.

Simicic wrote:
2. e.g. if togawa takes above mentioned mech mod ( that gives him option to get +1 combat card for fighting on lakes) then he could terreticaly have same ability twice. Can he then get +2 combat cards on lake or you cannot use mech mod that is your same ability? P,S; This question is not speciffically for togawa but for all mods that doubles your base mech abilities.


You must discard and redraw any duplicate mech mods, so Togawa would discard the Suiton ability and draw another until there are no duplicates.

Simicic wrote:
3. endgame scoring - since for last episode 8a every star can be place as jocker/wild card so you can put them wherever you wish. Until the last episonde my wife had on triumph log 4 stars noted on first combat space, and 3 on second. So after episode 8 she took newly aquired stars and place one of them on combat since you can place them anywhere where you wish, and triggerd 25$ bonus. But she placed star in a way that she had 5 combat stars on triumph log on first combat space, and 3 on second combat space. We didnt know was this ok by the rules? Maybe she had to place it different to have 4 stars on first combat space, and 4 on second combat space? We argued since rules say you can place them anywhere you wish and decided it is ok to have stars on log that 5-3 way, and not 4-4. What do you say?


Firstly, Jamey, the game designer, said on another thread: "During the game, you can place your combat stars in either combat column on the Triumph Track. At the end of the game, you can only check off boxes on the Triumph Log that directly align with the corresponding Triumph Track column."
So in episode 8a, the first combat star (if any) would align with the first combat star on your campaign log, the second (if any) would align with the second space on your campaign log, and any others would be placed wild.

Secondly from rules p.4: "You may only check a star in a column once per episode". This is a universal rule and applies to every episode.

Simicic wrote:
4.Rasputin (Fenris) ability to place influence tokens - we had this situation - Rasputin attacked my Vesna and won combat. By winning combat he got 6th star and game ended. We couldnt agree can he place two more influence tokens or not? Since when combat ended he got 6th star and triggered game end. We decided that he can do that, but i am not sure was this correct per rules.
Same question can be asked for base scythe - you attacked someones mech on encounter marker and win game - we always player that you cannot draw encounte after that because end of game triggers immediately. Please help!


The game would end immediately and the influence tokens would not be placed.

Simicic wrote:
5. Rasputin (Fenris) - on 8A episode got control over Tesla, so since rules say Tesla has all faction and mech abilities and acts as character -->> Fenris faction was placing 4 influence tokens on move, since we thought that Tesla has same ability as Rasputin. That was extermely powerful and hard to fight against.
Was this ok? Can Tesla with that ability place traps as togawa, so togawa could place 2 traps per turn, and flags as albion?


Tesla is very powerful, so yes, if he joined Fenris it is possible to place up to 4 influence tokens per move action.

Simicic wrote:
6. Reinforce mech mod - how does this work? Can you give some examples? Lets say i move 3 of my mechs towards factory and on factory is enemy mech. One of my 3 mechs reaches factoy, and two ohter mech comes adjacent since they doent have enough move. So by reinforce they get option to move one space further and join attack? Is ths correct or i misunderstood?


When asking questions about specific cards or tiles its always helpful to post the text The Reinforce mech mod states, "before combat, you may move your combat units from adjacent territories to the combating territory."

You understood correctly. Combat happens after all movements are completed.

Simicic wrote:
7. Fenris mech ability - horrify - when fenris manages to retreat opponents units he gives them 1 influence per retreated unit. So when you attack one space - mech and 4 workers and win do you give them 5 influence, and only 1 since mech can carry workers?
Is this ability passive, by that i mean someone attacks fenris and lost combat you also can give them influence?

The Fenris Horrify ability states: "You may give an opponent 1 influence for each of their units you force to retreat (as an aggressor)"
So in your example you would give 5 influence tokens, as 5 units are retreating. Also, you may not use the horrify ability when defending as it specifies only when you're the aggressor.

Simicic wrote:

After all this questions i have one comment.
Fenris Leap ability that gives him option to hop around in straight line - it is one of greatest abilities ever. If is like +1 speed combined with ability to walk over any river. Great. And with factory card you can: jump 2 spaces, and then move one space, or jump 2 spaces and then 2 again, which gives you movement of 4, hardly predictable and hard to defend for yours opponent.

I do agree that it is hard to predict and defend against, but it is also very restricting. I played the Fenris player in my campaign and found that I would often prefer a normal riverwalk ability, because I could never just move one space over a river!


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smob you are great many thx for helping me.
Can you please clarify two more things? blush
1.Similar to my third question - about placing stars. Lets say in episode 1 I get combat star. I place it on left space on triumph track and after episode mark this on triumph log.
In episode 2 i get one more combat star. Can I:
a) put it below on second line or
b) I have to place it on right space on triumph log?


2.in episode where you need 6 encounters to discover tesla...when you pick up sixth encounter does game end and you cannot see what was in encounter? Or game ends but you are able to have encounter and get benefits? If you play with Fenris colud you place influence after picking 6th encounter or not?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Simicic wrote:
1.Similar to my third question - about placing stars. Lets say in episode 1 I get combat star. I place it on left space on triumph track and after episode mark this on triumph log.
In episode 2 i get one more combat star. Can I:
a) put it below on second line or
b) I have to place it on right space on triumph log?

Whenever you place a star in the left column it would go in the first column in your triumph log, and second would go in second. So if you place one star in each of your first two games in the first space on the triumph track, you would have two stars in the first column and no stars in the second column of your triumph log.


Simicic wrote:
2.in episode where you need 6 encounters to discover tesla...when you pick up sixth encounter does game end and you cannot see what was in encounter? Or game ends but you are able to have encounter and get benefits? If you play with Fenris colud you place influence after picking 6th encounter or not?

The rules are quite ambiguous about when you pick up the encounter token to find Tesla, but it has been confirmed you have the encounter, then the game immediately ends - so Rasputin doesn't get to place influence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Smob, many thx.
Now everything is clear!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.