6 Posts

Korea: The Forgotten War» Forums » General

Subject: Attacking a vacated enemy port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ccwyxx c
msg tools
mbmb
Can I attack an empty enemy port hex during combat phase just so that my unit can advance and occupy it? I encounter just such a situation when my ship barrage took out a lone enemy combat unit from the port hex which I wanted to take it immediately instead of waiting for the next movement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry A
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The series rules do not allow a player to attack an empty hex.

There is an optional rule that allows this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ccwyxx c
msg tools
mbmb
perry555 wrote:
The series rules do not allow a player to attack an empty hex.

There is an optional rule that allows this.

Where can I locate this optional rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ccwyxx c
msg tools
mbmb
Ah.. got it. 21.8

This should not even be an option but part of the standard rule. It's idiotic if one cannot advance into a cleared hex after wiping out its enemy occupant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Metsäkallas
Finland
Turku
V-S
flag msg tools
mb
One of the fundamental questions when designing a game is how to model time. The smaller the scale, the more important this becomes. The normal scale in OCS is 8 km/hex.

How the time spent in combat should be counted in? Does it include advance after combat? And so on.

There are games, where iniciating combat requires certain amount of movement points. For instance a unit has 10 MPs, so it can use all them just to move or move worth 8 MPs and use the remaining 2 MPs for attack (assuming combat costs 2 MPs). This requires either marking upcoming combats or that combat are resolved as they occur. A variant of this is a system, where combat takes place in the same hex i.e. you have to have enough MPs to enter the enemy's hex.

However most games have opted for the simplest solution, where combat occurs "for free" timewise speaking. OCS follows this path.

A related problem is that "too successful bombardment". What does the forbiddance against attacking suddenly emptied hexes mean? Could it mean, that a whiping-out barrage lasted longer than a DG-ing one? If so, is there a timeframe to attack? The option "attacking empties" just allows an attack after a too successful bombardment. However, my take is, that for some reason such bombardment lasted so long (and therefore was successful), that there is no timeframe to attack.

A final remark. Whiping out a hex is a rare event and you should never count on killing steps when bombarding either by artillery or by air. Target for DG-ing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ccwyxx c
msg tools
mbmb
Metsis wrote:
One of the fundamental questions when designing a game is how to model time. The smaller the scale, the more important this becomes. The normal scale in OCS is 8 km/hex.

How the time spent in combat should be counted in? Does it include advance after combat? And so on.

There are games, where iniciating combat requires certain amount of movement points. For instance a unit has 10 MPs, so it can use all them just to move or move worth 8 MPs and use the remaining 2 MPs for attack (assuming combat costs 2 MPs). This requires either marking upcoming combats or that combat are resolved as they occur. A variant of this is a system, where combat takes place in the same hex i.e. you have to have enough MPs to enter the enemy's hex.

However most games have opted for the simplest solution, where combat occurs "for free" timewise speaking. OCS follows this path.

A related problem is that "too successful bombardment". What does the forbiddance against attacking suddenly emptied hexes mean? Could it mean, that a whiping-out barrage lasted longer than a DG-ing one? If so, is there a timeframe to attack? The option "attacking empties" just allows an attack after a too successful bombardment. However, my take is, that for some reason such bombardment lasted so long (and therefore was successful), that there is no timeframe to attack.

A final remark. Whiping out a hex is a rare event and you should never count on killing steps when bombarding either by artillery or by air. Target for DG-ing.

Practically a bombardment cannot last more than its planned duration. Each bombardment order is very specific the amount of tonnage to drop and time on target to occur. And the attacking units will not wait for smoke to clear before advancing, unless there a major command foul up, advance is immediately carried out while the enemy is in disarray. No time given for your opponent to recover.

Each turn in Korea OCS lasted for a week. Each phase I would assume be at least a day or 2? Given that artillery barrage don't last for more than 30 minutes or a couple of hours (to stretch it some), I would assume time allowance for action be sufficient to make the advance? Hmm... maybe the time frame actually consist of multiple attacks instead of one single combat action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.