Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the other thread about great games without hype:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2080055/great-games-dont-ge...

Let's do the opposite here. Which games do you find to be overhyped or overrated (I am aware of Skutch's now 15 page rant, so you'll have to forgive me on this one) according to your opinion.

The game I felt had way too much hype was Dominion.
When it came out I bought in. And hated it utterly and completely.
I couldn't wrap my head around how a themeless excuse to shuffle a deck of cards was such a huge sensation. I didn't try it with expansions and apparently they make it better.
I couldn't get past the base game though and I don't really like deck builders anyway.

A close second was Myth which I describe as an 80% game.
They missed the mark but just enough on the rules, models, release, support, etc. so that when combined the total package become an ugly mess.

So BGG, what's your most overhyped/overrated game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it cheating to say a game is overrated when you don't even like the type of game it is to begin with?

The game that I think is most overrated is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. One of the most boring worker placement games I have ever experienced. To this day I still think that the only reason people like it is because of the gear gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another negative thread but these tend to be more interesting than everyone saying how great the latest flavor of the month is.

I would have to say Dead of Winter. Way too much downtime with hefty rule explanation for a game that feels like it is on autopilot. I'm not a fan of your actions limited based on dice rolls and it is quite obvious what you need to do. Despite the numerous characters in the game, they are all role-specific and designed to clamp you down on doing one thing. Barely any agency on the player's part.

My alternative to Dead of Winter would be Dark Moon. Dark Moon is far easier to teach with a very interesting system on resolving events. Using dice rolls behind a screen is a far better mechanic to introduce paranoia and deception over some objective card telling you to do selfish things. It also doesn't take nearly as long and isn't so clunky.

Although Exodus: Paris Nouveau is my #1 social deduction and it is a war crime that the game isn't getting more attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
The game that I think is most overrated is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. One of the most boring worker placement games I have ever experienced. To this day I still think that the only reason people like it is because of the gear gimmick.
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “the gear gimmick”. I mean, yes the gears move, but it’s not a gimmick because it’s a way of making worker placement investments grow in power over time. If it’s the gear movement that you think is gimmicky, then we could replace it by placing a disc under each meeple every round to represent the height on the wheel and it will duplicate the mechanism without using the gears. (Or we could manually move each worker up a space every round). It’d still be a really unique worker placement game with an interesting worker placement twist. I think your dislike of worker placement is clouding your vision here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn’t say it is lousy, because I’d play it again, but Terra Mystica didn’t blow my socks off when it came out. We thought it was an okay Euro game but didn’t beat what we were already playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No question it's Terraforming Mars. The only game that has ever truly made me wonder about the sanity of such a number of BGG users. To me it really just seems like drawing random cards to see who wins, and it's way too long for just that.

(I'm well aware that "overrated" is just a code word for "something I don't like that lots of other people do.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail

I so thought I was going to love this game. Played it at a convention (3-player)...everything started great, liked the look, the rules and the beginning of play. About half-way through it started to feel "samey" and I began to become disenchanted.

In the end, I couldn't wait for the game to be over - too long of a game for me for what it had to offer. I enjoy longer games if they keep me engaged throughout the experience..,but this one fell flat for me - and it is an extremely popular title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
Isn't it cheating to say a game is overrated when you don't even like the type of game it is to begin with?

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyan Shad
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON games (Blood Rage, Rising Sun and Arcadia Quest to name a few) are Overrated and by that I mean if you look at the EBay prices none of them are worth that much. I know some here will say there worth what others are willing to pay, and to that I say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it should really be called overrated if it's just not your kind of game. I think to be overrated it has to be something you feel like you should like but don't.

tempus42 wrote:
No question it's Terraforming Mars. The only game that has ever truly made me wonder about the sanity of such a number of BGG users.

Definitely the correct answer. It's so generic and forgettable, and it really overstays its welcome. And it's rank 4? That's insane.

A close runner up would be Marco Polo. After that first decision of strategy and player power it just feels so scripted, there are no decisions.

And after that I'll also mention Great Western Trail and Through the Ages. Neither are bad games by any stretch, but both are just very average. Sort of like Terraforming Mars, but to a lesser extent, there's just not a lot that they do to distinguish themselves from pretty much any other euro. There's little about them that would make me prefer them over dozens of more interesting games. They're fine, but far from top 10 games. I just don't understand what it is people see in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
fullbloodlion wrote:
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “the gear gimmick”. I mean, yes the gears move, but it’s not a gimmick because it’s a way of making worker placement investments grow in power over time. If it’s the gear movement that you think is gimmicky, then we could replace it by placing a disc under each meeple every round to represent the height on the wheel and it will duplicate the mechanism without using the gears. (Or we could manually move each worker up a space every round). It’d still be a really unique worker placement game with an interesting worker placement twist. I think your dislike of worker placement is clouding your vision here.

The gears are not needed. Are they cool? Yes. Could you accomplish the same thing by just moving your pieces manually? Absolutely. Also, I... don't dislike worker placement. I'm not sure how you got that from my reply, but I actually quite enjoy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames

Word bingo designed by Vlaada.

Another designer, or a starting one, would not have had such a big hit with that game.

Makes me wonder who the actual designer of the gamer is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
The gears are not needed. Are they cool? Yes. Could you accomplish the same thing by just moving your pieces manually? Absolutely. Also, I... don't dislike worker placement. I'm not sure how you got that from my reply, but I actually quite enjoy them!

Moving them manually would be extra upkeep that I'd rather do about, so the gears seem a very good way to automate the process of moving every worker on the board one extra step (while also keeping track of what round we are).

I don't think that's gimmicky; it's more like the app for One Night Werewolf or Alchemists. In both cases, the app automates elements of the game that would otherwise require upkeep by the players.

Also; all three are neat in themselves in a 'gimmicky' / aesthetic sense but that's not why they exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pandemic and (especially) Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 (and I’ll assume also season 2).

The first time I played Pandemic was the Cthulhu version, and it wasn’t taught to me by someone who really explained everything. I spent a lot of the game figuring it out, so that didn’t help. But it was honestly one of the dullest games I’d ever played. I thought perhaps Pandemic Legacy might be different, but it’s not. You simply put cubes on the board and move to remove them, but more cubes come out in random locations so you also want to move to them to remove them. Then on the next month everything has reset and you start all over again. It felt like a lazy design, and the game it’s based on was already dull, so it’s no surprising that Legacy is just as dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am in the minority here, but Gloomhaven.

I played 19 games and enjoyed, maybe, three. It just seemed utterly repetitive. Monster AI is not very I. Enjoyment decreases as the game progresses. Rolling modifiers, ugh. It takes all the worst parts of an RPG and a board game and puts them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor — there are so many better set collection games than this. I might also hate it less if it had something even vaguely resembling a theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars.

I'm starting to wonder if people are only pretending to like it because of how complex and utterly boring it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is exactly why there are thousands of board games, since you can't please everyone. I didn't like Gloomhaven, but it doesn't mean think it's lousy. I can't stand Sentinels of the Multiverse, either, but again, it's not a bad game.

I don't pretend to like Terrforming Mars, I do like it. My group plays often and enjoys it (Venus expansion is not really worth playing, though, after Colonies appeared).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biomage wrote:
I know I am in the minority here, but Gloomhaven.

I played 19 games and enjoyed, maybe, three. It just seemed utterly repetitive. Monster AI is not very I. Enjoyment decreases as the game progresses. Rolling modifiers, ugh. It takes all the worst parts of an RPG and a board game and puts them together.
I played one game and knew I’d never play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
Terraforming Mars.

I'm starting to wonder if people are only pretending to like it because of how complex and utterly boring it is.
You’ve stumbled across the conspiracy of the century! The 31 thousand people (out of 33 thousand) who rate it a 7 or above are all pretending to like the game. That’s the only likely possibility! Only two thousand brave souls have the strength of character to tell the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Generic entry so others don't have to type:

"Random game_______________ in the top 100 that I don't like as much as the majority here on BGG."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has their own tastes. No need to put something down, just because you don’t like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
As others said, everyone has different tastes and as I’ve figured out what I like and don’t like, I feel less and less like any games are overhyped or overrated. I just more and more realize that the BGG members overall have very different tastes than me and I can’t rely on average opinion or even most reviewers to know if I’ll like a game. I gotta do the research, read the rules, try before I buy, ponder why sane people could like such a game, decide I’ll never know the answer to that question, move on.

Early on, before I learned, I was seeking out the most top rated games on BGG, super excited to try them, and some were big flops for me. Twilight Struggle, Tigris and Euphrates, Arkham Horror, War of the Rings... such crap. Thankfully I did get to try all these before buying, but I let my high expectations get to me. Now I have such low expectations of the mob opinion, I don’t get disappointed when the popular games like Scythe and Terraforming Mars turn out to suck.

So what matters to me now is not overhyping to myself a new-to-me game. Ignore the hype, expect them to be meh, and very occasionally I’ll be surprised with a much better game than I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Scythe
Gloomhaven
Kingdom Death Monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.