Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When using the Fuel Shortage Era Modifier (All non-asteroids get gravity + 1), dues that affect the competition? So, if they draw a space port on a (now gravity having) planet, they can't take the 1st beyond if they would normally, because it is not "matching."

(I guess this also applies to Scarce Capital. I suppose since its solitaire I could do what I want to make it harder, but I'm wondering about the designers intent).

2) If an Competition "Replace offer" matches multiple things does it count each match? I'm thinking of the Produce 2 + Revelation 1, with the offer having Produce +$1 and Revelation +$1, but I suppose the base upgrades could also match multiple.

3) In the contract for Starfarers, the "four non-adjacent" is open to interpretation. Does that mean that none of the four can touch the other, or just that there must be one gap, etc? (If I have A touching B and C touching D, does that count?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I admit to not understanding the question. Could you elaborate a bit?

2) Yes; the Matching rule on page 14 states: "For each match..."

3) The phrase "four non-adjacent" should be read literally: none may be adjacent to another. Your alternate interpretation would have had the phrase read "four non-contiguous."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fuel Shortage gives all planets an additional point of gravity.

The Competition finishes a base and draws a space port (on, say, Pluto). Pluto would normally have no gravity penalty, so the Comp would get the 1st Beyond bonus (since it already has enough bases). But the modifier gives a gravity penalty ...

If that penalty applies to the competition, the space port does not qualify as a "matching" "eligible" base. If it just applies to me, then it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha. The answer is yes, the era situation applies to the competition (there's nothing in the rules to indicate otherwise) so in your example there is no match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, but good to check!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
1) I admit to not understanding the question. Could you elaborate a bit?

2) Yes; the Matching rule on page 14 states: "For each match..."

3) The phrase "four non-adjacent" should be read literally: none may be adjacent to another. Your alternate interpretation would have had the phrase read "four non-contiguous."

Regarding answer 2:
But what about for era icons in the Mariner phase? The Key shows +1 for each move, explore, or build upgrade match, but the rulebook states +1 “for each upgrade CARD discarded”. What happens when a card with both move and explore upgrades on the same card is discarded from the offering? Does the competition get 1 or 2 profit for that card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The upgrade action indicator appears on the card just once, so the competition would gain 1T, even for a dual upgrade card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.