Chana Kotova
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Play mostly 2, we have The Castles of Burgundy(love it) , just got (not played) Altiplano and Agricola (Revised Edition). Does The Voyages of Marco Polo add anything new/interesting?
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Should I get Marco Polo?
Marco Polo is one of my favorite games and I recommend it. I also recommend playing the games you have and haven't played yet before running out and buying more, but that's against the spirit of this forum and also a little hypocritical coming from me lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chana Kotova
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Should I get Marco Polo?
Thank you. My question is - what does it add in terms of mechanisms to our collection?(Have an opportunity to buy it second hand , so"buy it later" doesn't really work...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love Marco polo and own Agricola and Burgundy. The best thing about Marco polo is its variability, when each game is completely different thanks to city cards, secret objectives and different characters to play with. Also throughout the game, there are many variables, so thanks to that game is really tactical and strategical at the same time (you have some base strategy given by your character, secret objectives and available city cards, but you must be flexible because of dice rolling and new contracts that shows up.) In that regard it is somehow similar to Burgundy (mix of strategy and tactics). Also both using dice to resolve actions. But there are many differences between those two (secret objectives, asymmetrical powers, gaining new specific actions, travelling), so I am pretty sure, that you will enjoy playing both. Agricola is a different game, the only similarity is that strategy planning at the start of the game, but otherwise it has absolutely different feel to it. I highly recommend purchasing Marco polo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you haven't tried some of the Euro mechanisms in the game yet based on your collection.

Here is my thought on this game

"I got to play this game at my local meetup today. There isn't a really new mechanism in the game that stands out but the mechanisms in the game meshes well. It feels like the more Euro games that I play the quicker I can grasps the rules.

The dice throwing at the beginning felt a bit like Yspahan and the dice/worker placement feels like Alien Frontier although in a less cut throat way.

The most interesting thing is the asymmetrical powers that players draft at the beginning of the game which gives the players different powers to work with.

It's a solid mid-weight Euro that should feel very familiar to Euro gamers. Maybe it is a little bit too familiar to me so the rating is a 7/10."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chana Kotova
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you. So the main draw are the assymetrical powers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alani Mani
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Marco Polo has not much to it. Very samey Workerplacement. I would disagree on the variability point, because to me it feels very similar every time, independent from set up. The only thing, that makes the game interesting in some way is the asymmetry of starting characters. Imagine this game without, it would probably get way less attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
The variability is huge game to game. Depending on what city actions come out and where they are games are going to play out very differently, and planning out how your going to utilize them effectively and which character to choose to dovetail into that plan is a large part of the appeal of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I reckon The Voyages of Marco Polo is worth getting - it is very different from Castles you have to plan much more at the start of the game and the variability is much greater. But it is really best with 4. It is ok with 2 and nice and fast 60 mins but the crowded nature of a 4p board is where it shines.

The Castles of Burgundy I find is more cut throat at two and loose with 4. If you like the cut and thrust of Castles at 2p then you would enjoy Marco Polo especially at 3 or 4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ruley
Uganda
Kabale
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Castles and just got Marco Polo. We love it after six games, but have yet to play it two player. It is on everyone's request list so it may be a while before my wife and I get to play it two player. Very different from Castles though.

My wife says it has a lot of variability and we like using the different characters. After each game, we look at the setup of the board and find how another player could have used the board better and why the one who won used the board well. I say get it if you want something different and like dice manipulation. Maybe not too helpful for you, but my $.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Svien
Japan
flag msg tools
My wife and I have COB and Agricola, and we also have Marco Polo and love it. It's one of her most requested games (after COB). The dice placement aspect coupled with the highly variable player powers makes for a really fun experience. Definitely a hit in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.