Subject: Solo Scores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Greer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished my first solo game. I absolutely loved it, but I am a little worried that I might have missed something. The final score was 114-56 in my favor. The end of the solo rulebook says that beating the competition by 11 or more means you “win and dominate explored space”. Since I more than doubled the competitions score and won by 58 on my first play, I’m a little suspicious.

To anyone who playtested the solo mode or who has gotten solo plays in during the last week, was it at all common to win by such a large margin? I read the rulebook through multiple times and referenced it continuously during the playthrough but were there any rules that you found to be particularly easy to miss that could have caused me to have a much easier game than intended?

I’m planning to keep a detailed log of my next solo session which I will post here so that people can see how I’m playing and hopefully point out any mistakes I’m making but just curious to get some general thoughts until then. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: Also, it would be interesting to see people post their solo final scores here to act as a point of reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
I've only played a couple of solo games, but, yeah, that score looks conspicuously lopsided based on my limited playing time. Did you score each colony the competition put down? That's a significant endgame point dump right there. And were you scoring the removed offer cards?

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ingram
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d say you definitely did something incorrectly. I’ve played twice. Won the first but realized I wasn’t checking for contracts on the AI turn and ended up claiming most of them myself. The competition definitely should’ve gotten some of those points. Second game I scored contracts correctly and got beat by 20 (77-57). Hard to say what you missed without more info. I read somewhere that a playtester reported winning about 1 out of 3, so it should be somewhat challenging for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Greer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, the competition only built 3 colonies and I scored each of them. And just to be clear, by scoring them you mean when the competition gains 1 profit for each colony point dot on the tile when they build a colony, right?

As for the removed offer cards, you mean the 1 profit gained for each removed card that matches the type indicated on the card, correct? I definitely did that but maybe I just got really lucky because I would estimate that the competition gained maybe 5 profit or less from this source over the course of the entire game. The cards just never seemed to match with what the card indicated.

I’m curious, does my score seem too high or does the competition’s score seem too low or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Greer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
youthguyingram wrote:
I’d say you definitely did something incorrectly. I’ve played twice. Won the first but realized I wasn’t checking for contracts on the AI turn and ended up claiming most of them myself. The competition definitely should’ve gotten some of those points. Second game I scored contracts correctly and got beat by 20 (77-57). Hard to say what you missed without more info. I read somewhere that a playtester reported winning about 1 out of 3, so it should be somewhat challenging for new players.

Hmm, I was only awarding contracts to the competition when it drew the second card with the matching contract number (first time drawn, place competition team on contract, second time same number drawn, award contract). Can the competition win contracts automatically by meeting the contract criteria in the same way a human player does? I definitely wasn’t playing that way, if so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, the competition can fulfill contracts by meeting the criteria. See the second paragraph of the Claim Contract section on Solo Rules Page 7. For example, if the competition places the first base on Mars, it claims that contract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll see if I can dig up my solo score log from testing. I lost more than I won, sometimes by a wide margin. I don’t recall ever doubling the AI score. As John points out, the AI can score contracts, and they can reallly rack up points that way. And by scoring only the card indicated ones for the AI and leaving the rest for himself, that’s a huge point swing since only two IIRC are on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Greer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnButterfield wrote:
Yes, the competition can fulfill contracts by meeting the criteria. See the second paragraph of the Claim Contract section on Solo Rules Page 7. For example, if the competition places the first base on Mars, it claims that contract.

Thanks for the response, John! I can’t believe I missed that. Looks like I need to reread the solo rulebook again. This was obviously 100% my fault but I wonder if for future printings it may be helpful for future explorers to have this mentioned somewhere on the solo player aid? It’s already jam packed with great information but if it could be fit in somewhere, I think that would be very helpful.

I really hope I didn’t miss any other rules! Makes me even more excited to play a second game knowing how badly i screwed up my first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found my score log . I went 2-5 against the AI .

Hum AI
119 87
90 91
84 83
59 80
59 87
71 83
70 72

I submitted my solo log sheet to the Files section so others may use/modify it .

Edit : it is approved and now in the file section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't base things off of one or just a few plays. The scores can vary wildly. Here are some of mine from play test:

Human vs Competition

113--75
80---103
95---103
74---73
66--120
102--54

50/50 in terms of win/loss to the comp. Had some close ones and some got away from the other "player".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played 7 solo games but I’m only sure I had the rules right for the last two. As I found more rules I missed the scores got closer. For the last two I won one by 20 ish and there other by 7. These were with the era cards.

That being said quite a bit of variability depends on if the edge cards get used by the competition or not, which is pretty random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Bankler wrote:
I’ve played 7 solo games but I’m only sure I had the rules right for the last two.

Heh, that's the Curse of the Solitaire Boardgamer, isn't it? As you learn the rules better, you realize your earlier playthroughs have been invalidated, so you have to start your track record all over again!

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ended my first solo run just now. Lost 78-81.

I thought I was going to get absolutely wrecked, but rallied pretty strong at the end with some big production actions. I also realized 3/4 through Starfarers that I had forgotten to use my Low Body Mass adaptation which would have made getting those teams out and about early on SO much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Greer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I finally got a chance to play my second solo game with the correct rules this time. As expected, it was much harder and the competition was winning by 10-15 profit throughout most of Planeteers and Starfarers. He stalled out midway through Starfarers though and I was able to build a couple of colonies and nab a few contracts in rapid succession right at the end and the game finished with an exact tie at 84 points each! It was definitely much more fun with the competition actually being competitive. Thanks to everyone for straightening me out on the huge rule I missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Only 2 games in when playing the correct rules and I won both. The first was a 2 point win, but in the second one basically everything went my way in the last 2 era's and the score was nearly double the competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.