Quadropolis» Forums » Rules

Subject: If I don't staff a factory do I get to keep the energy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
msg tools
Interesting question...

I built two 3 energy factory early on.
Then ended up with a monument next to both.
Rather than take the -10 penalty I just removed the workers before the scoring section.

There was an outcry!
Someone even demanded I removed 6 energy cubes from my board!

I checked the rules nothing suggested that if a building didn't have the required resources,then it should have it's tokens recalled. It just said remove the building before scoring.

Please can someone confirm whether my sneaky brain has broken the game?
or found a great emergency work around?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
the things next to a monument don't need to be activated to score. The monument scores based on what it is next to. you lost 10 points.

additionally, the factory comes with energy, and that does not require a worker. workers can be freely moved around until game end. not having a worker doesn't remove the building from your board, you just don't score it. So by removing the workers from the factories, you don't get to score the factories. However, you still score the monument, which is next to 2 factories.

edit: oops, we've been playing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Power3mark2h1 wrote:
I built two 3 energy factory early on.
Then ended up with a monument next to both.
Rather than take the -10 penalty I just removed the workers before the scoring section.

There was an outcry!
Someone even demanded I removed 6 energy cubes from my board!

I checked the rules nothing suggested that if a building didn't have the required resources,then it should have it's tokens recalled. It just said remove the building before scoring.

Building a building gets you resources.
Activating a building gets you VPs.

So yes, you get to keep your resources independently of whether or not the building remains active at the end of the game.

DragonsDream wrote:
the things next to a monument don't need to be activated to score. The monument scores based on what it is next to. you lost 10 points.

additionally, the factory comes with energy, and that does not require a worker. workers can be freely moved around until game end. not having a worker doesn't remove the building from your board, you just don't score it. So by removing the workers from the factories, you don't get to score the factories. However, you still score the monument, which is next to 2 factories.

This is strictly wrong.

Check the blue "Remember" box on page 4 of the rules:

Quote:
To score VPs, a Building must be activated.
Any Building that is not activated at the end of the game is removed from the player's city before calculating their score.

So not having a worker on either of those factories will in fact remove them from the board, thus avoiding the monument penalty.

The only thing that Mark needs to worry about at this point is whether or not he had a place to put those two extra workers (for example, a shop). If he did not, he will accrue a penalty for unused workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.