Terraforming Mars: Colonies» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Arclight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone seen Arclight do well? I've just come from a game where they crashed and burned again. I've never seen them do better than 2nd to last. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Yep, I have seen them win and one second place in 4p games (two games with Arklight so far). The win was with the ultimate combo Ecological Zone + Decomposers + Viral Enhancers + Miranda (colony). Their second place was the same except for Ecological Zone, because I already knew I must hate draft it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they need a buff, if the stars need to align like that for them to win.

I think either they should get a vp for every 2 animals on the card instead of 3, or they should have the ability “action: add one resource cube to a card with the animal symbol”. I think that’s reasonable, putting them in line with corporations such as Celestic or Stormcraft that have a similar floater related ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curios about arclight too, i have not played any game where someone had arclight so my opinion is just whatever.

I feel that arclight is probably in the mid tier corps and the plant and animal are very situational regarding its power level, they may go bonkers with Miranda and stuff, or they will do average to poorly. I guess the tags distribution in colonies dont help it that much either.

Interesting on other people toughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I think either they should get a vp for every 2 animals on the card instead of 3

Erm, but Arklight already gets a VP for every 2 animals on the card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Just going from memory. Maybe the “action: add 1 amimal” is a good patch. Celestic and Stormcraft have comparable scoring opportunities, and it shouldn’t amount to all that much over the course of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Fish wrote:
Has anyone seen Arclight do well? I've just come from a game where they crashed and burned again. I've never seen them do better than 2nd to last. Am I missing something?

They start with a reasonable amount of money, and +$2 income, and built in VP gain, so they seem like they should have a fighting chance from the get go. I probably wouldn't take them unless I had some good plant based (and tagged) Preludes, and Miranda was in play. But if I had some good plant based Preludes (to start out with some free VPs) and Miranda was in play? I wouldn't feel that bad about giving them a whirl.

Try to maximize plant based cards (which gets you greenery and VPs); trade with Miranda. Seems like it should work ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Arclight and came in last, but part of that was my own fault.

I had a couple of early plant tags, including at least one Prelude card, so I thought it would work pretty well.

But I didn't get another plant tag until late in the game (we were drafting, so some of it may have been keeping them from me). That's the "luck" part.

But Miranda was in play and I didn't utilize it like I should have.

That was my fault.

I think it could be viable, but needs a little luck to go with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I played it 2-player a couple of weeks ago. Lost 99-97 but felt like it was about average with the ability the be good with the right draw. The problem is that average with 27 corporations (with Venus and Prelude) is a lot more likely to actually be bad than be average now.

Also, it likely needs Miranda in play to really shine (Miranda was not in play in my loss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Colonies (and Prelude) last night. I didn't remember the name, but from your descriptions it sounds like I played Arclight.

Came in 2nd place, 1 point from first. Did not feel like I was at a disadvantage at all. Got 5 points from animals on the card.

I did not build a colony, and only did trading about 3 times.

I suspect that I would have won had I properly taken advantage of colonies and trading.

It was a 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Martin wrote:
We played our first game of Colonies (and Prelude) last night. I didn't remember the name, but from your descriptions it sounds like I played Arclight.

Came in 2nd place, 1 point from first. Did not feel like I was at a disadvantage at all. Got 5 points from animals on the card.

I did not build a colony, and only did trading about 3 times.

I suspect that I would have won had I properly taken advantage of colonies and trading.

It was a 5 player game.

Wow. Just found out what Miranda does. We did not have Miranda in our game, and Arclight came in 1 point from first in a 5 player game. Likely would do better with Miranda (likely would have won).
I don't see how Arclight is at a disadvantage (after only 1 play, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Arclight is a high starting cash *enhancement* to high Venus % and high oxygen % requirement cards. You should mostly not be paying attention to the 1/2 animals part unless it has synergies with that.

It is also an insurance policy against another player's 1/Animal cards if Miranda is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mj_langford wrote:
Arclight is a high starting cash *enhancement* to high Venus % and high oxygen % requirement cards.

I have no idea what you mean here. This might be a very solid point. But I don't know what it is.

Quote:
You should mostly not be paying attention to the 1/2 animals part unless it has synergies with that.

I can't imagine that this is true? All Arclight does is have some money and get VPs for animals. If I had Arclight in my hand, some good plant Preludes, and some plant cards I could play in my initial 10, *and* Miranda was in play? I'd give Arclight a spin, and not feel bad about my chances. If I had Arclight in my hand, didn't have some good plant Preludes and Miranda was *not* in play? I'd be very unlikely to take Arclight.

I can't see any reason to play Arclight *unless* you are going to leverage the animals for VPs. Anything else you can do with your hand is likely to be a better play than Arclight and ignoring the animal angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I guess the takeaway here is that Arclight is pretty situational. Miranda being in play increases their odds, as do certain projects like viral enhancers or ecological zone. The ecologist milestone should be a target for them.

As I see it, an important thing to remember is their ability triggers off of plant tags as well, and since animal cards usually have an o2 requirement, they should do whatever they can to rush up o2 and ignore heat because they prefer a long game to accumulate animal points. The prelude that lets you ignore a global requirement would be a nice draw for them, as would the ones that raise the o2. Also the project that lets you kajigger global requirements up or down 2%, anything that lets them get animal cards out sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The point I was attempting (and failing) to make:

When you get your two companies, you promptly attempt to figure out which is best.

Arklight has 45 MC, this other one has ______. In this determination of which company to keep the "1/2 animal" should only make you choose this company if you know the Oxygen or Venus terraforming rating will be pumped up quickly. So if you have those cards, Arklight makes them better, and they make it more viable. If there are milestones/awards that make them sure things, also consider it a bit better. Otherwise, Arklight is just a medium sized bag of money.

Miranda is a factor which makes Arklight better, but not tons better. There is not a "Animal per other person's visit" bonus like there is for the Steel or Cash colonies. That means you will dump a ton of energy into getting 1/2 pt per token animals if you hit that a lot. That's not the best trade ratio.

Arklight + starting high point 1/token per point animal + Miranda is great. You're setup to fill up miranda which what look like "relatively worthless animals" to others. Once you drop your 1/1 birds or 1/1 venetian birds or penguins down mid-game, you then hit Miranda right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mj_langford wrote:
The point I was attempting (and failing) to make:

When you get your two companies, you promptly attempt to figure out which is best.

Arklight has 45 MC, this other one has ______. In this determination of which company to keep the "1/2 animal" should only make you choose this company if you know the Oxygen or Venus terraforming rating will be pumped up quickly. So if you have those cards, Arklight makes them better, and they make it more viable. If there are milestones/awards that make them sure things, also consider it a bit better. Otherwise, Arklight is just a medium sized bag of money.

Miranda is a factor which makes Arklight better, but not tons better. There is not a "Animal per other person's visit" bonus like there is for the Steel or Cash colonies. That means you will dump a ton of energy into getting 1/2 pt per token animals if you hit that a lot. That's not the best trade ratio.

Arklight + starting high point 1/token per point animal + Miranda is great. You're setup to fill up miranda which what look like "relatively worthless animals" to others. Once you drop your 1/1 birds or 1/1 venetian birds or penguins down mid-game, you then hit Miranda right away.

So, if you're AL and can play a 1/1 animal by gen 5 (when Miranda hits 3 for you), put a colony on Miranda after you play the 1/1, and keep Miranda to yourself, then Miranda will end up giving you just under 1 VP per generation the game lasts. And a few cards. Not shabby, but you're really only getting 2 more VP total than other corps would with similar use of Miranda, and it's tough to meet all of those requirements.

As far as O2, only five cards trigger AL and have O2 requirements:
Small Animals : 6% O2, 1 for 2, every generation
Herbivores: 8% O2, 1 for 2, every greenery (this one kind of just helps make up for the TR you'll lose on greenery once oxygen's maxed)
Livestock: 9% O2, 1 for 1, -[1 P] +[2MC]
Predators: 11% O2, 1 for 1, but it's really just 1/2 VP/ gen for you if you have to eat animals
Birds: 13% O2, 1 for 1, every generation

So if you can play all of them (which is a BIG if), ignoring greeneries and assuming you can eat somebody else's animals (which may mean another global parameter is maxing out) it's 0.5 VP/gen at 6-8% O2, 1.5VP/gen at 9 & 10%, 2.5VP/gen at 11 & 12%, and 3 to 3.5 VP/gen from 13% to game end.

How long will the game go past 11% O2? Usually not long at 3P+.

And how do you crank O2? Either with energy to O2 cards or placing greeneries. Energy to O2 will probably get you about one or two extra generations on your animals, and energy is tough to get in a draft colonies game (but those cards will still probably outperform most trade actions.) Then, how do you get your plant production up? With plant cards - 10 of which have temp requirements. And there are also two animal cards with temp requirements.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that AL is better off pushing temp than O2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mj_langford wrote:
Arklight has 45 MC, this other one has ______. In this determination of which company to keep the "1/2 animal" should only make you choose this company if you know the Oxygen or Venus terraforming rating will be pumped up quickly.

Ah, I see what you are saying. But I don't know that I necessarily think that is true--you don't need O2 or Venus to go up quickly (although it certainly helps Arklight out); you can make a play of it with Arklight just off plant tags early on, aiming to play some animal tags late game. You get a couple good, planty Preludes, that's a VP. Snag a couple of the early play plant cards, that's another VP, plus you are starting a plant engine, etc.

I mean, like, yeah, if O2 (or Venus) is up fast, you can get more animal tags in play, which is good on all levels. But 'cause Arkltight comes with a place to put animals, you don't really need the O2 to go up. Get animals on Arkltight from plant tags and Miranda.

Quote:

Assuming you have a colony there (another half VP), and trade there fairly often, you are swapping 3 energy for a card and a VP or so every generation. Which, if that is a good VP engine (along with plants and maybe some cards that boost your animals), seems as good a plan as any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Duewer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Arklight is:

45 MC
2 MC production
0.5 pt animal / plant/animal tag

and, an animal tag

45 MC + 2 MC production is worth about 54 MC.

The animal thing, assuming usual play, will probably be worth about 2 (1-4) points by engame -> 5 (3-11) starting money.

I'd take Arklight over, eg, Teractor, when the the animal tag was worth something (ecologist or diversifier), particularly if I didn't have a great starting hand.

And, yes, the animal power is pretty weak.

With a typical hand, I'd probably pick them over Inventrix or UNMI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noyce
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're kind of fun to play. It really depends on your starting hand, but you're only playing them if you have the appropriate cards to buy at the start obviously(including prelude cards) It helps if you are playing on Elysium board and can get the Ecologist milestone-which is something to consider when choosing your corp. I bought the milestone on the first generation when I played them. Corp + prelude card + one other card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just played a 2P game as Arklight; my opponent was Aridor, and had no real good synergy from the get go, so the point spread is unusual, but not unexpected based on my opponent's start of the game.

We used CE, Prelude, and Colonies (no Venus Next) on Hellas. Miranda colony was in play, but I didn't have any plant/synergistic Preludes (I used Eccentric Sponsor to get a free colony on Miranda from a Prelude Phase Mining Colony, and then immediately got a second trade fleet from Space Port). Game went 12 generations, and I won 135 to 108. I had 40 points of cards and VPs from resources, including 10VPs off of Arklight (21 animal tokens), 9VPs from Birds, 2VPs from Small Animals, and 6VPs from Decomposers. I picked up a lot of cards early that I held onto for a long time, just to play late, like Imported Nitrogen in my initial 10 cards, Nitrogen Rich Asteroid, and Big 'Ol Convoy, all of which scored big and boosted my animal/plant engine significantly.

The income and money gave me a good boosted start, and I drafted for, and aggressively played, plant/animal/microbe cards, including Advanced Ecosystems to bolster the Decomposers. I ended the game with 11 plant production as well.

This game was probably not typical. But Arklight worked very well, especially with Miranda, 2 trade fleets, and enough energy to make them both go every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Michael
msg tools
mbmb
I ran away with a recent game using Arklight - it was entirely based on animal resources. After using viral enhancers, I bought a greenery tile so I could get straight to Ecological zone - getting me to 3 animal resources per plant/animal tag (and scoring ecologist in Gen 2).

I drove up the temperature (with an opponent helping, much more important than oxygen, IMO) so I could play plant/animal tags (penguins, predators, decomposers, ecology research). The interplay was fascinating (and I did get lucky with some good animal cards), but I never got my money or steel/titanium engine much at all.

In the end, I scored 24 points in animal resources. A very lopsided strategy, but really entertaining (and I didn't even have Miranda). Highly card dependent, making most strategic decisions pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4P game last night; I was not Arklight, but my buddy was, and came in 2nd (I won as Tharsis with 81; Arklight came in 2nd with 78). Miranda was in play, but Arklight had a lot of trouble getting energy for powering his trade fleet, and ended up spending $33 during, like, gen4 of 9, just to get 3 power production the hard way. And he didn't play a huge number of animal/plant tags, but still, got, like, +6VP off Arklight itself.

(Yes, he could have spent that $33 on trading 4 times instead; and could have gotten a power plant of Europa at least once for $9 instead of hard buying for $11, but he felt that $33 for 3 energy production was the best solution at the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gade
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I came last with archlight in our first colonies game.

I had a hard time funding both an economy and my plants, animals and microbes. secondly my setup didnt work towards any milestone or award (standart map).

I was roughly 30 points behind the winner eventhopugh we had both the microbe and animal planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another solid victory with Arklight.

3 players. All expansions (on Tharsis). Miranda colony was in play. I had some good plant production, had reasonable board position, got 1 or 3 milestones, won 1 of 3 awards, and between Arklight, Small Animals, Ecological Zone, and Ants, I had, like, 18VPs in animals/microbe points (I had 19 animals on Arklight), and 33VPs in total card points (including the animal/microbes). I traded with Miranda, probably, 5 of the 10 total generations, trading with Europa once, Io once, and having 2 trade fleets the last couple generations. Had 2 colonies on Miranda by the end of the game as well.

Morningstar came in second with 81 and Polyphemos was third at 79. Arklight can be strong, especially with (well, maybe only with) Miranda in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.