Subject: BBS Adaptation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: D100 [+] [View All]
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope it is not objectionable I mention this here. But I recently added an authorized BBS adaptation of the free version of D100 Dungeon to my BBS. Martin has play tested it and given his support for mentioning it on-line.

FYI, single user BBSs were around in the 80s and 90s, predating the internet. They have recently been making a bit of a comeback, replacing telephone lines with telnet clients over the internet. If interested, a good free telnet client is SyncTERM.

Telnet address for the game is dura-bbs.net port number 6359. D100 Dungeon is #14 on the GAME menu. (Everything on the BBS is free of course).

If this post is inappropriate, I sincerely apologize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
BBS?!?! Geez. Are you the Sysop then?

Pardon me while I wait ten minutes for this message to upload via my 9600 baud modem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
FULL THROTTLE
mbmbmbmbmb
That was fantastic, thanks for sharing! Takes me back to the old days of tying up the phone line playing Usurper. mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Knight
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that this is really good, it’s been very well made and great to play. Thanks Skip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
WOW. Talk about taking me back. Made me get teary.

Of course, I was using the telnet client in Windows 7, so it wasn't working as best as it could have (Things only kept appearing in the top half of the screen, and would scroll OFF the screen quickly so would miss half the stuff.)

I'm going to have to DL that telnet client and see if it's better.... of course, this defeats the purpose to playing a boardgame/pen and paper, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, the telnet client in Windows 7 is a bit wobbly. SyncTERM is good and free, but it doesn't have a scrollback ability (at least as far as I can recall). A couple other clients I like are ttwin4 and AbsoluteTelnet, they have scrollback but cost bucks. If I want to be able to scroll back to see all the text that scrolled off the screen, I use ttwin4 configured for text only (no ANSI).

The BBS version of the game certainly has plain maps compared to some works of art I have seen on Facebook, I confess. And it lacks the tactile interaction of the physical game, kind of like electronic versions of board games just don't have the same feeling of pushing cardboard and tossing the dice just so. Sometimes, I think that throwing a bunch of dice is what I like best. </ramble>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skipper1947 wrote:
SyncTERM is good and free, but it doesn't have a scrollback ability (at least as far as I can recall).</ramble>

SyncTERM does have a scrollback feature. I believe the default is Alt-B. You can also change the default scrollback lines (2000). I'm also a pen-paper-dice player, but this effort is pretty awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. Alt-B, huh? Good to know. I will check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just informed that you can connect to the BBS via web browser at:
https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/dura-europos/

I wonder how long that has been there..

Scroll to the bottom to find a [Connect] button. It is not perfect, in that if the board is busy, it will not indicate that, but merely say it is connected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hmm. I couldn't figure out how to make that telnet site thru firefox, even WITH following the directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you via firefox. It appears to work OK for me in Firefox. What happened (just curious). It won't give feedback if the board is busy, it just says something like "connected". Also, there doesn't seem to be any "disconnect" option outside of closing the browser window..

One final issue I found, is that it appears noticeably slower than through a telnet client (understandable I suppose, considering the extra overhead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well, I went to the SyncTERM website and followed http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/Install-Mozilla.txt directions on it.... But don't know if I followed them correctly...

and... then what? I don't know what to do now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh. I guess we are talking about 2 different approaches. When I said you could access it via web browser, I meant just go to https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/dura-europos/ in Firefox, until you see "Connect to Dura-Europos Now!" and below that you should see a "Connect" button. Just click on the button and you should connect, you don't need to do anything with SyncTERM, you just need Firefox. The telnetbbsguide.com handles everything else. Here is a snapshot. (I hope)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
YAY! For ancient technology!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Well, I went to the SyncTERM website and followed http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/Install-Mozilla.txt directions on it.... But don't know if I followed them correctly...

and... then what? I don't know what to do now...

I was thinking about your post, regarding using SyncTERM through Firefox. I confess I had not heard of that method before. I think it is used mostly as a stand alone desktop application. I had worked up a quickie setup guide, I will paste it below, just in case you are interested.
---------------------------------------------------

Setting up SyncTERM for Dura-Europos BBS.
-----------------------------------------
Open SyncTERM
Hit [Insert] key
Enter "!Dura-Europos" (starting with '!' places it at the top of the list)
Select [Telnet]
Enter "dura-bbs.net"
Hit [F2] key to edit "!Dura-Europos"
Select [TCP Port]
Enter "6359"
Hit [Esc] key
You are done. Click on "!Dura-Europos" to initiate call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ok, that was my question - I didn't know if SyncTerm was a program I had to DL or if I simply could log into a telnet service in a web browser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Ok, that was my question - I didn't know if SyncTerm was a program I had to DL or if I simply could log into a telnet service in a web browser.

Sorry, I didn't explain that well. Here are links:
SyncTERM download page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/syncterm/files/latest/downl...
SyncTERM home page: http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Could just be me doing something wrong (I'm still learning the game), but there was a time in the BBS version that I tried to cast a spell in combat (an Ice spell, I think), but it kept telling me "You can only cast that spell in combat".

Was I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Could just be me doing something wrong (I'm still learning the game), but there was a time in the BBS version that I tried to cast a spell in combat (an Ice spell, I think), but it kept telling me "You can only cast that spell in combat".

Was I missing something?

Hmm.. There are two places where you can cast a S)pell, one is at the combat menu which looks like this:
[A]ttack, S)pell, E)scape, O)ther commands:

And the other is from the character sheet, which looks like either:
B)ottom, P)ack, O)pen backpack, S)pell, M)ods, (1-13:Name), e(X)it:
or
T)op, P)ack, O)pen backpack, S)pell, D)elete spell, U)se, e(X)it:
depending on if you were at the top or bottom of the character sheet.

Currently, the program assumes if you want to cast a combat spell, you are casting it from the combat menu. Do you remember if the message below is the one you got, or was it something else? (I could not find a match to the message you listed):
Must cast this while in combat. [Enter]

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the combat menu that I entered "S" for, chose the ice spell, it asked me to confirm, and then it gave me the "Must cast this while in combat. [Enter]" message.

I tried in several combats, including fighting against rats and a spider.

(Unfortunately, that particular game, I was logged in as a guest, so I can't go try it again with that character. But I have registered for an actual account so I'll be playing again soon!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, I will look into it. Thanks for the feedback.
-----------------------------------------
(Few minutes later)
I was able to duplicate the problem with the Ice Storm spell, so should be able to sort it out in the morning. I will post back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, actually I fixed it tonight. It was easy to find thanks to your feedback. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! And thanks for making this! Let's me try out this game and get a nice dose of nostalgia at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.