Nemesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Researching an egg multiple times, running out of bag tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished our first game: 90 minutes of setting up and explanation, five hour game. Everyone of four players escaped alive and reached their objective, barely. Really fun, but took a long time. I can see this being faster after a while, but no way we could finish within the two hours the box says.

I believe researching an egg or corpse leaves the corpse on the board? If that's the case, can't you just research the same object multiple times, thus making the objective to do two researches much easier? That's what we did.

At the very last round we ran out of tokens in the bag. Is this supposed to happen, or did we do something wrong? When do you put things in the bag and remove them? What happens when you run out of tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is only one egg weakness to be discovered. Researching an egg multiple times serves no purpose. Each weakness is specific to the object researched (egg, player corpse, or intruder corpse).

You should never run out of tokens. The blank token is always returned you the bag when it is drawn. If it's the last token, you return it and an adult intruder token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wpflug13 wrote:
There is only one egg weakness to be discovered. Researching an egg multiple times serves no purpose. Each weakness is specific to the object researched (egg, player corpse, or intruder corpse).

Oh, I missed that reading the rules. In any case, we had a corpse in the Hibernatorium and could have easily researched that so it is unlikely it would have changed the outcome of the game.

Quote:
You should never run out of tokens. The blank token is always returned you the bag when it is drawn. If it's the last token, you return it and an adult intruder token.

Yes, the last token was the blank one. We didn't place an adult back in the bag, but we were out by then. So again, we played it right. Good.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By the way: if your objective was to "research an Intruder Egg", it doesn't matter who did the research - you or another player. If it was researched, the objective is fulfilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Jaffeli wrote:
wpflug13 wrote:

Oh, I missed that reading the rules. In any case, we had a corpse in the Hibernatorium and could have easily researched that so it is unlikely it would have changed the outcome of the game.

Quote:

Yes, the last token was the blank one. We didn't place an adult back in the bag, but we were out by then. So again, we played it right. Good.

Thanks!

It would have caused more movement which would have caused more noise which could have changed things.

You never run out of tokens to place in the bag. Once an intruder is killed the token goes back into the pool of tokens that can be added into the bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arkard1 wrote:
You never run out of tokens to place in the bag. Once an intruder is killed the token goes back into the pool of tokens that can be added into the bag

Ok, we didn't do that, so we played wrong. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Five hours sound insane, even for a four player game, but maybe re-read the rules and find the other parts you played wrong - then I'm sure you won't survive as easy the second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schlepper
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
By the way: if your objective was to "research an Intruder Egg", it doesn't matter who did the research - you or another player. If it was researched, the objective is fulfilled.

Just out of curiosity; is that true for the "send the signal" objective as well? Also, where did you get that from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonzerelli wrote:
Kumoja wrote:

Just out of curiosity; is that true for the "send the signal" objective as well? Also, where did you get that from?

The signal has a specific spot on every player mat, and as such you have to send the signal yourself to qualify.

The intruder egg weakness spot is a single spot, with a single card, and as such it's an "either/or" condition - either it's been researched or it hasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonzerelli wrote:
Kumoja wrote:

In co-op, it doesn't matter who sends the signal (although if you have more than one objective between you that needs a signal, you need to send one per objective). In normal play, if your objective needs a signal sent, you need to be the one the sends it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehrine wrote:
Fonzerelli wrote:
Kumoja wrote:

In co-op, it doesn't matter who sends the signal (although if you have more than one objective between you that needs a signal, you need to send one per objective). In normal play, if your objective needs a signal sent, you need to be the one the sends it.

Where is that stated in the rules? "Discover A Weakness" explicitly says you don't need to do that personally- but "Sending The Signal" does not, and says that "you...need to perform" that action. I'd assumed that thematically, each signal is different.
EDIT- just realised you are referring to the special objectives cards in full co-op mode. These are shared objectives, not owned by any particular player, so yes, each objective can be achieved by anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Vanhulsel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehrine wrote:
Fonzerelli wrote:
Kumoja wrote:

Also, for the "blue corpse token", does it matter who takes it into the hibernation/escape pod? We had some people taking the token with them without needing it, which made my objective nigh impossible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
AlexanderVanhulsel wrote:
Ehrine wrote:
Fonzerelli wrote:
Kumoja wrote:

Also, for the "blue corpse token", does it matter who takes it into the hibernation/escape pod? We had some people taking the token with them without needing it, which made my objective nigh impossible!

I'd have to see the objective wording, but I think that you personally have to be the one to hibernate with the corpse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fonzerelli wrote:
Kumoja wrote:

Just out of curiosity; is that true for the "send the signal" objective as well?

Sending a signal is a "personal" part of any objective, and it has to be done personally.
Most of things that can be done once - "analyze Corpse/Egg/Carcass", "Kill the Queen", "player X character must die" etc. - may be done by anyone and still count as fulfilling the objective.
Quote:
Also, where did you get that from?

Asked the creator. As far as I know, nothing changed.

I'm just not sure about THIS:
AlexanderVanhulsel wrote:

I don't know what the official clarification will be, but I'd say it counts as fulfilling the objective (if the corpse goes to Earth, it gets a proper burial). It works thematically, and honestly... the only reason to do such a thing is to mess with other players. No reason to allow something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.