Subject: Best thematic euros? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for my millionth thread. I'm trying to find one last game for my bf and in the course of this my brain has turned to mush and I can barely think anymore.

So! Thematic euros. I don't really care what the theme is, just so long as it isn't "here are 3 black cubes and 2 orange cubes for 2 victory points" kinda thing. Something where the theme actually matters, as far as euros go. Actually I do care a little about the theme. I'd prefer no farming or stuff like viticulture and vinhos. They're just not drawn to that.

I'll accept hybrid recommendations.

Playing to 5 players is a bonus but 4 is ok. Edit: I'd like the game to scale to 5 now.
Playtime under 2hrs.
Weight... under 3 in the bgg scale.

I'm currently eyeing up Chimera Station and The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire but I don't know how thematic they are.

What do you consider to be the best thematic euros? Thanks as always!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alani Mani
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Evolution, since it matches all your criteria. The theme is strong in my opinion.
Chimera Station is not really thematic, Manhattan Project more so, but I think both games are not very good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay Dirt is about mining gold in Alaska. Contains an auction element, which I didn't like (so my copy went up for sale), but the way you'd build your small mining enterprise and run your dirt through it to find gold felt very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dettinger
Germany
Gärtringen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that I already recommended that in one of your other threads - but I think that Blood Rage really fits your criteria here. cool

Really.

Oh, and Legends of Andor might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia
Domaine
Stephenson's Rocket
Rheinländer
Dream Factory
Lancaster
Yellow & Yangtze
I could go on and on, but I'm not sure more is better.

FWIW, I don't find Evolution very "Euro". Same with Blood Rage.
And original Manhattan Project is superior to Energy Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rococco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is perhaps not quite as thematic as you'd like, but I certainly feel that the actions fit the story in the game. Players each run a plantation in pre-revolution Cuba. Although there is a farming element here - harvesting crops, shipping them for a good price, selling them straight to the market, or perhaps refining them to garner a better price - you'll also spend a good amount of time erecting new buildings on your plantation, which will offer new abilities (cafès, banks, black markets, a golf course etc.), and occasionally you'll be bribing the government to put in effect only those laws that benefit you.

Btw, the expansion Cuba: El Presidente works really seamlessly with the base game, and in my book adds +1 on the BGG enjoyment scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawaran wrote:
I would recommend Evolution, since it matches all your criteria. The theme is strong in my opinion.
Chimera Station is not really thematic, Manhattan Project more so, but I think both games are not very good games.

Awesome, I'm glad you said that because I've already bought evolution! laugh

stoerenfried wrote:
I know that I already recommended that in one of your other threads - but I think that Blood Rage really fits your criteria here. cool

Really.

Oh, and Legends of Andor might be worth a look.

He's played Blood Rage and didn't really like it I checked out Legends of Andor earlier and I'm not sure about it. I think he'd prefer a different theme. Not sure. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco, although it only plays four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photosynthesis, where your trees grow according to whether they receive light (or don't grow when shaded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB Shimmyo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrmes is more thematic than the other euro I have, though it's about 3.4 complexity. But it's got cute ants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe, Outlive, and Champions of Midgard are the best 3 'thematic' euros that I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Relph
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kraftwagen
+1 for The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
+1 for Evolution: Climate but I wouldn't say it's at all a Euro game, even though it rocks.

I've played Kraftwagen often and it's one of my faves. Easy to learn and play, but a great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denga wrote:
Scythe, Outlive, and Champions of Midgard are the best 3 'thematic' euros that I've played.

A post-apocalyptic euro... surprise

If this was 5p I would have bought it already but right now I'm going to stick it on my ever-changing list for me to mull over. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Food Chain Magnate For.The.Win

Thebes- one of the most thematic Euros out there. Only 4 players though.
Tigris & Euphrates- Classic

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects- Very pretty.....

High Frontier (Third Edition)- The hardest thematic Euro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

Wait, what? Looks like a lot of cubes to me.... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
TedW wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

What about now? You can start the video @ ~ 1:14, or click here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shifting Realms is a recent one that I have been enjoying very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I own that most strongly creates a narrative and I most easily get into the theme of is De Vulgari Eloquentia. It plays five, takes about two hours, weight I'd say is just a bit above three, and it's most definitely a euro.

You start out as merchants in Italy and decide to work to unify the Italian language, throughout the course of the game you can join the church by becoming a monk and later a cardinal (if you can make the right connections). The game ends when the pope dies at which point one of the cardinal players can become the next pope, but for that you need a lot of political support, and you need to be the most knowledgeable person among those who qualify.

In the meantime you're travelling around Italy and doing various things to study the local languages, such as collecting manuscripts in the five local dialects, studying the Riddle from Verona and Canticle of the Sun, and potentially studying at the University of Bologna. Mechanically it's solid, but honestly the big appeal every time I play is getting into my character's adventure, you really do come out of every play with a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
TedW wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

I have those deeples. Game still has no theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
The Voyages of Marco Polo is a really solid Euro and one of my favorites. Aside from filling contracts, you travel the Silk Road, with all much of the known world open for you. The player powers make each game exciting and have a good number of "Oh I get it!" moments. Plus, every aspect of the components is on point and makes for a very immersive experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Food Chain Magnate For.The.Win
Quote:
weight... flexible but under 3 in the bgg scale

Nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
qudoz wrote:
feldfan2014 wrote:
TedW wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

I have those deeples. Game still has no theme.

I never said it did. But at least you are now trading "3 black cubes rogues and 2 orange cubes fighters" for those 2 points now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Shakespeare is a great, very thematic euro and fits the other criteria, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.