Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Coma Ward» Forums » Rules

Subject: So many questions after the first play through, game rules feel unfinished rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the game today and the game seems like it is a Betrayal At House On The Hill with insanity mechanics. So I really wanted to love the game, but didn't. So I really want to play it again and rejudge it before I do an official review. I have some questions that hopefully you all can answer.

1) Can you attack the monsters that spawn from hallucination rooms or do they just follow you around until the Phenonium happens?

2) When you get an item from a hallucination does that put a rummage token in that room?

3) When you draw a hallucination that then leads to another room being placed in your spot, do you have to do a focus roll when it revealed and do you still draw and do what the hallucination room tells you to do?

4) During the Phenominums the creatures say their name and HP value, then it says that they need X success to hit a player and do X damage, they also move every time a player's turn ends. So how many dice do they roll?

4b) If a monster needs 5 success to hit a player, does the player still get to roll defense?

4c)If a creature has 5 HP, does that mean you have to do 5 damage in one combat round to kill it or is there a way to track the damage on the monster?

4d)Do the monsters get a defense roll and/or a counterattack when you attack them?

5) When using the elevator, can you go to any floor if you don't get a 1?

6)When using the stairs is the movement like, move onto stairs, move to the floor above or below your location and then move out of the stairs, so the minimum is 3 moves to get to another floor?

7) since the order of clues and where they are found matters is there suppose to be two of each clue number?

8) when you get a room that has an event card, there doesn't seem to be enough room on the board to place the card next to the room, so are you suppose to put it on the room?

9) The errata says you need five pills to activate your quirk bonus once the Phenonium starts, so are you suppose to stop putting pills on the card if you reach 5, what happens if you run out of pills and need to put on a location, do you remove it from your quirks? (this came up as we didn't see the 5 pill limit needed and kept putting on the quirk, then needed to put one on a card).

10) If you end your turn on a location that is empty and through revealing the location and a hallucination you get moved to a location without a room (can't remember how this happened) do you just reveal the new room and if so do you need to do another focus test.

11) If you rummage and fail your focus test but the hallucination card gives you an item do you place a rummage token on the spot?

UPDATE QUESTION(s):
12) If you want to counter attack do you not roll to evade or you do? I am very confused on evading vs counter, as when you evade you don't take damage but if you counter, does the attack just happen and you take damage then attack back?

13) If the answer to 4d is no, then do you roll to see if you damage an emeny monster or is it just automatic and you do weapon damage, 1 if no weapon an X basd on the card if you do?

I had some other questions but forgot what they were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are unofficial for the most part; although some are from the rule book or clarifications in other threads.

1) The ones I've encountered you cannot attack (they don't have hit points)
2) If the hallucination card came while rummaging, then I'd say yes; if it came from the tile reveal, then no.
3) I didn't do a focus roll unless told to do so. Yes you would do what the tile tells you to do.
4) I'm not looking at the creatures but I think the cards successes refer to how many successes the creatures get (not need)...ie, they don't roll, those are automatic. If you defend and win, no damage.
4b) yes, you can still roll defense or counter.
4c) I've played creatures accumulate damage (I use a die to keep track)
5) Yes
6) Yes
7) Not sure; I've only used them to keep track of clue order (and the final clue is wherever your character is that got the 3rd clue). I've not had a phenomenon yet that required you to know the location of each clue so I haven't tracked that.
8) I put it next to the room, some just place it beside the board. I know someone who just printed a list of all room effects as a reference sheet.
9) you don't need more than 5 on the quirk.
10) seems like I saw a ruling on that but can't remember
11) I have been since the item came about during a rummage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thank you for the response. I may have miss read that the rooms were needed to know.

If the success are automatic, then it seems impossible, shouldn't then the card say you do a defense check against a difficulty of 5 or whatever the number is? But also if the enemy say gets automatically 5-7 success as I have seen some be that high, how on earth are you suppose to defend when they move 2-3 spaces after each players turn? In our game, no one rolled 5 or more success and most had a defense roll of 3-4 when they started, as most defensive clothes don't add dexterity and by the time it came to my turn the 3 other players all died and I was alone against 8 monsters, got one turn then died. I was rolling 9 dice and still didn't get 5 or more success 8 times in a row, and only survived because we thought you rolled for attack and didn't think we could counter-attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.