Men of Iron» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Falkirk: Mel Gibson did much better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Falkirk: Mel Gibson did much better

Scenario: 1298 King Edward vs. William Wallace: Historical Scenario

For my introduction into the Men of Iron System, I decided to first set up the above scenario.

I must admit, the ‘historical’ scenario is relatively boring. Here’s why: The Scots have all their massive amounts of Pikemen arranged into 4 large Schiltrons. (Think of square formation). They can’t move or initiate combat. They have 2 units of mounted men-at-arms and 6 units of longbows.

The English have large amounts of mounted men-at-arms, longbows and pikemen.

Here is the Scenario Playout:

Two of the mounted men-at-arms got a bit excited and advanced within bow range. The first was unmounted and then retired. The second ran away.

The English then waited for their mass reserve of Longbows to show up and shredded all of Wallace’s men.

Wallace Sucks.

The End.

Next session, I intend on using the non-historical variant as Mel Gibson did much better than William Wallace historically did. Stay tuned for Falkirk:Take Two.

The ‘variant’ allows the Scots free set-up and also allows the pike to move and initiate attack (if they are NOT in schiltron)

I know that’s a pretty brief report, but really there isn’t much more to say on this variant.

A few bonus thoughts on Men of Iron:

1. After reading through the MoI rulebook, I felt that MoI was a bit like GBoH lite. The game has a good ‘feel’ to it, and you can ‘tell’ whats going on, with the cavalry charges and reaction fire creating detail.

2. The scenario took longer to set up than actually play! I think this was do to: a)it really is a short scenario. B)The scenario booklet confused me slightly when I was setting it up, as I didn’t know which pikemen to put where. Had I read on, I would have know that I all pikemen are activated simultaneously, so I didn’t have to worry about command etc.

3. This historical scenario doesn’t use the basic ‘continuity’ rules, so I can not yet comment on how this ‘unique’ activation system works. It feels a bit like GBoH activation system, but again, on a lighter scale. I look forward to trying it out in the free set-up variant.

4. The played scenario bored me. This was likely because I was already very tired once I completed set-up due to lack of sleep the night before when my hot water bottle exploded and melted a 50cm square layer of skin off my leg. These personal things do happen, and sometimes affect our enjoyment of a game. I feel better now and am looking forward to giving it another go tonight.

5. Do not judge the game based solely on this one-sided historical scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too got bored, and the Scottish got trounced, when I kept them in schiltron the first time I played this scenario. Since then, I break out of schiltron as soon as the Scot axemen have a target. Much more fun and bloody that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Falkirk isn't much of a scenario, really, apart from being a fairly static situation in which one can learn the rules a bit. Try Bannockburn for a more fun and more competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in the middle (well nearing the end) of Falkirk with free set-up. There's been alot more English blood spilled this time around... I'll be posting that session report within the next few days.

Mo, I agree. Falkirk seems like an intorduction scenario to learn the rules/system.

Cheers,
Randy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.