Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: So Many Games; So Little Time... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey Dearden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I write this as a form of therapy to help me past a spuriously self-imposed handicap.

I have written previously in Tips for Solo Wargame Play of not obliging oneself to 'finish' every game, but there is a lingering feeling that I should. I'm not sure what instinct drives this. Is it a sense of 'cheating' or of 'incompleteness'? Or both?

I imagine it has the same basis as that of not finishing a book, but I have reconciled myself to that; I figure life is too short to waste on books that are poorly written or fail to please. I have reached a point in life where I realise that there will not be time enough to read all the books I have promised myself I will get to 'one day' or those that I enjoyed so much that I will re-read them 'one day'.

Since there is only myself to please, the obligation to ‘finish’ a game (i.e. play through to a formal end) is clearly a nonsense. I have found that writing a summary for myself of the learning - of the considerations arising during the gameplay - I can, to an extent, supress the instinct. Others might find this helpful…

Time to move on; so many games, so little time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You're so right. The older I get, the less inclined I am to give "second chances" to anything or anyone. Book, movie, TV show, game, person...prove your worth quickly or you're dead to me.

"You had one chance and you blew it" - Eric Clapton (One Chance)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

...prove your worth quickly or you're dead to me.

And the same to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walk out of the theatre, drop the book, pack up the game, etc. Don’t chase bad money with good money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No point doing something you don’t like.

I have so many games that I DO like that when something does not grab me I sell it once my opponent and I are done with the game we are playing (gotta be a good sport right?).

Not to say I won’t try it again if a fellow gamer want to play their game ... they just have a bit more work to convince me to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this experience quite a lot with books recently,but increasingly also with some games. They just aren't working for me - so i just quietly walk away. But I feel t bad. The self-doubt comes because you have seen other people praise these products... so you worry, what's gone wrong with me, I always kinda used to like most games?..

The answer is nothing. Nothing went wrong, you just got older and you got firmer in your own views and less tolerant of what - to you personally - is crap. When you're younger every new input is new, educational and refreshing, but that changes.

So don't beat yourself up. I have bought several new systems I really liked the look of in the last couple of years, some have worked like a dream and others, despite my initial enthusiasm, have gone down like a cup of cold sick. it's not you, move on, play what you enjoy and sell the rest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samwise46 wrote:
I've had this experience quite a lot with books recently,but increasingly also with some games. They just aren't working for me - so i just quietly walk away. But I feel t bad. The self-doubt comes because you have seen other people praise these products... so you worry, what's gone wrong with me, I always kinda used to like most games?..

The answer is nothing. Nothing went wrong, you just got older and you got firmer in your own views and less tolerant of what - to you personally - is crap. When you're younger every new input is new, educational and refreshing, but that changes.

So don't beat yourself up. I have bought several new systems I really liked the look of in the last couple of years, some have worked like a dream and others, despite my initial enthusiasm, have gone down like a cup of cold sick. it's not you, move on, play what you enjoy and sell the rest...

Amen to that. During the past couple of years I have reduced my collection from several hundred down to about fifty (and it is still shrinking). But I have gotten several games new to me. Some are already gone, but just a few have turned out to be gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Sobbe
United States
Silver Lake
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This sounds like old guys commiserating.

If I have a game that is worth a substantial amount of money due to collectors value - SHIP IT! I'm not a collector, I'm a game player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Brown
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puts me in mind of a quote from Sam Donaldson..." life is too short for dull people."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
samwise46 wrote:
Nothing went wrong, you just got older and you got firmer in your own views and less tolerant of what - to you personally - is crap. When you're younger every new input is new, educational and refreshing, but that changes.

As a low tolerance for crap - be it from products, people or companies - has been my philosophy from my mid-twenties, this might mean I got old and mean real fast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssob334 wrote:

Yeah, what a bunch of whiners!

And to think that I have very very little time left to play wargames because my hobby time is “squadered” design games for some ungrateful old-timers. LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
ssob334 wrote:

Yeah, what a bunch of whiners!

And to think that I have very very little time left to play wargames because my hobby time is “squadered” design games for some ungrateful old-timers. LOL!

Weren't you supposed to retire/scale back work so as to have more time for all the fun stuff ?

Scaled back to 80% some years ago myself and that worked out great. Of course for me that meant that I finally have time for designing games instead of just playing them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Weren't you supposed to retire/scale back work so as to have more time for all the fun stuff ?

Scaled back to 80% some years ago myself and that worked out great. Of course for me that meant that I finally have time for designing games instead of just playing them

YEs, next year I am doing just that. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make some very interesting and increasingly valid points here. Just recently I went to see the latest movie incarnation of the Robin Hood tale. I was torn between getting up and leaving versus staying waiting for the movie to get better, trust me that wouldn't have been difficult. In the end I stayed to discover that this was the worst Robin Hood movie that I've ever seen. I'd gladly taken Kevin Costner, Cary Elwes, Sean Connery, Errol Flynn, Russel Crowe, Douglas Fairbanks and even Bugs Bunny over this POS version. Of course in all fairness it was Errol Flynn in the Bugs Bunny version of Robin Hood. With that 20/20 hindsight, I should have cut my loses and left, although with that 20/20 hindsight, I never should have gone in the first place. If anyone how is thinking about going a seeing the latest Robin Hood movie, just don't, don't buy the DVD, don't stream it off of Netflix or any other streaming service, don't even look for a pirated copy. The only do I can think of regarding this movie is that if you come across it on regular television, do change the channel. In the end, I agree with you, if whatever is not holding your interest or making you happy, change it, drop it, finish it if need be and don't return to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glorioso
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read something that aging celebrities, respected folk said of the use of free time over 50: Evaluate your time and eliminate things that you are not passionate about (ie television watching and internet surfing without a prior intentional plan). Next, instead of starting new hobbies, further embrace the things you have always enjoyed. May need to scale it, organize it or find other ways to enjoy it. Thus, no reason to stress regarding too many games or books.
It is interesting but most people without passions before 50 or 60 tend not to develop hobbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glory41 wrote:
I read something that aging celebrities, respected folk said of the use of free time over 50: Evaluate your time and eliminate things that you are not passionate about (ie television watching and internet surfing without a prior intentional plan). Next, instead of starting new hobbies, further embrace the things you have always enjoyed. May need to scale it, organize it or find other ways to enjoy it. Thus, no reason to stress regarding too many games or books.
It is interesting but most people without passions before 50 or 60 tend not to develop hobbies.

Very true! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Well, there's the source of the problem right there! We were all likely brought up to clear our plates/finish the chores or whatever first. So quitting something we haven't finished breaks ingrained habits and feels sinful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
Niteplayer wrote:
Puts me in mind of a quote from Sam Donaldson..." life is too short for dull people."

I always found him to be one of the dullest "journalists".

glory41 wrote:
aging celebrities, respected folk

Concept is mutually exclusive.
Although I agree with the sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
CaissiaC wrote:
I write this as a form of therapy to help me past a spuriously self-imposed handicap.

I have written previously in Tips for Solo Wargame Play of not obliging oneself to 'finish' every game, but there is a lingering feeling that I should. I'm not sure what instinct drives this. Is it a sense of 'cheating' or of 'incompleteness'? Or both?

Cheating. Yourself only. Out of some of the experience.

The funny thing (for me) is that I'm more likely to complete a
solo game than an opposed one. No great learning (usually - except maybe when
I extend games beyond the boundaries to watch the disintegration during
a rout). Rather, of the experience; which is, in the end what I'm there
for. Not some little punch line.

Quote:
I imagine it has the same basis as that of not finishing a book, but I have reconciled myself to that;

Or of 'skipping forward' to just see what happens. It's not savoring the
writing itself. Or putting the book aside before reading the denouement.

Quote:
I figure life is too short to waste on books that are poorly written or fail to please. I have reached a point in life where I realise that there will not be time enough to read all the books I have promised myself I will get to 'one day' or those that I enjoyed so much that I will re-read them 'one day'.

Very different. That's putting aside BAD games. Basically, you're arguing
that what comes after a given point is of no value to you, by equating
these. I don't even think it's wholly working on yourself, because you
ARE feeling some sense that you should continue.

Quote:
Since there is only myself to please, the obligation to ‘finish’ a game

Obviously. I still question, given the guilt you're feeling, if you're
missing out on something you do value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samwise46 wrote:
Well, there's the source of the problem right there! We were all likely brought up to clear our plates/finish the chores or whatever first. So quitting something we haven't finished breaks ingrained habits and feels sinful.

I drive my wife (and myself, to a lesser extent) crazy with this. I really struggle to even start anything I want to do (read a book, play a game, watch a film) if I know that there are things I don't want to do (shopping, cleaning, gardening) that must be done in the same day.

Once I get as far as doing something I want to, I must e.g. finish the book I was reading before I start a new book, even if I want to read the new book more. It doesn't put enough of a brake on me buying new things before I've finished the old ones, either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've struggled a bit with this recently due to a combination of factors. My professional and personal life have become busier than ever, which has put a squeeze on my free time. At the same time, with my wargaming YouTube channel starting to grow in popularity, I've had to start planning my game time. Replaying an old game I've played a dozen times before is more of a luxury now. At least compared to the interests of the channel where I'm obligated to play a game a publisher sent me, or a viewer has requested a video for.

Now I'm not complaining, I still enjoy it immensely. It's just a lot harder to push through a game I don't enjoy particularly well, instead of packing it up and moving on to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Chee
Australia
flag msg tools
"The destiny of nations is shaped by the plangent vicissitude of destroying enemy flattops, interdicting their convoys, and severing their reinforcements and supply lines. And, if you make ace along the way... well, that's just gravy."
badge
"The destiny of nations is shaped by the plangent vicissitude of destroying enemy flattops, interdicting their convoys, and severing their reinforcements and supply lines. And, if you make ace along the way... well, that's just gravy."
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a classical music reviewer, and one of my principles was the basis that no artist intentionally sets out to give a poor performance or make a bad recording, and thus I should always try to "find the good" in the performance or recording.

The truth is, unfortunately, some performances are absolutely wretched, and I had to sit suffer through them to completion, and those were the most challenging to write about. (There is also a skill to writing a nuanced, less-than-complimentary review, without necessarily stating negative things outright. But that's another topic.)

To some extent, that mindset to "try to find the good in something you don't like" carried over to other things, whether a book, movie, game, etc. With experience, I've found that it has become easier to strike the balance between persisting with something versus giving up on it. If something does not bring me "joy", it is not a waste to walk away from it, or to feel guilty over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately, at least to me and maybe some others, there seems to be an almost artificial pressure to make a decision about a game's worth far more quickly than in the past. With so many games coming out now the days of several in your gaming group having the same game and playing it a few times are long gone. Instead, everyone has a stack of new games that get rushed to the table and while you're playing it the first time you can sense everyone in the room is deciding whether to finish the game, keep it for the future, schedule another play shortly, or simply abandon it and rip the shrink off of something else, then start playing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm finding this a lot at the moment. I work in a very small firm, we're doing quite well and as much as I would love to sit down for 3 days with a game, it's just not possible right now. The problem I find is that I have a smallish window between wife / dinner time after work and the bit before you start feeling knackered from the day. I actually use that time to wind down from the day and some games just don't fit well there.

I've been planning on playing Hundred Days 20 (Tolentino) for the past week or so. I played the sister game before no issues when perhaps I had more time and enjoyed it. Now I'm literally trying to scan through two separate rule books and get myself to set it up ect. I have only the rules out of the box the last week and the 2 seperate booklets don't help. I love the look of the game (and I remember Waterloo being enjoyable) but I'm close to giving up on it I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.