Popular Tags: [View All]
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
That would probably violate copyrights...

EDIT: hmmm, OP deleted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it isn't being sold, I don't think there is that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just write to Ares then and if they think its ok they may send it. Thankfully this industry has a lot of nice people working in it and they are more cooperative people than in some other industries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
zeta044 wrote:

It definitely violates copyrights, and Ares should not and will not give him a picture to defend their copyright. He's asking someone to make an unauthorized reproduction of it. That's exactly what copyright is trying to prevent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bulger
United States
Fuquay-Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Read the "Fair Use" portion of copyright law.
Then decide....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
jacobugath wrote:
zeta044 wrote:

It definitely violates copyrights, and Ares should not and will not give him a picture to defend their copyright. He's asking someone to make an unauthorized reproduction of it. That's exactly what copyright is trying to prevent.
That's not how copyright works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least a year ago I sent one of the WoTR designers a msg asking for a hi-res image of the WoTR CE board, so I could tweak it and print a super-sized version. No reply. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are forgetting that these materials do not belong to Ares. Art, places and names are merely being used by license from the Tolkien Estate. By law they cannot give you permission to copy them, even for personal use. They have commented on this before, actually.

Further, contrary to popular opinion, there is no "copy for your personal use" rights anyway. It is copyright. That protects them against copies being made. Period. I'm not sure when this became a common idea. "Fair Use" is extremely limited in scope, as I understand it. Of course, someone can grant you permission, but I highly doubt the Tolkien Estate has any interest in that whatsoever.

But don't believe me, IANAL. Here is what a lawyer for the Tolkien Estate has said about the matter in the past:

Quote:
there is no provision of copyright law which makes permissible the copying of a copyright work for one's own private purposes

That's pretty cut and dried. That said, they aren't going to come after you if you do it yourself (who would know?). Just don't expect a printer to actually participate in this. They could be sued into oblivion. Think about it. What if Ares wanted to make such a thing and offer it for sale under license (which they would have to ask the permission of the Tolkien Estate to do, BTW)? In essence, you'd be stealing revenue from them, even if you never sold it. That's how a business would see it, and I am quite sure a court would agree.

Heck, twelve years ago or so I made a new, colorized map out of the first ed. board, out of a file I downloaded from BGG no less. I think that board is gone, now. It was a copyright violation, although I didn't think much about it at the time. They were right to take it down, and I was wrong to post it. I really didn't start thinking about these things until that incident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.