Hide
4 Posts

W1815» Forums » Strategy

Subject: When do you use Napoleon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus adams
msg tools
W1815 is a brilliant game. The clever way it interweaves the main elements of the battle within an elegantly simple game system is very impressive.

Yes, it has its fair share of luck and you really need to play it twice (swapping sides) to go some way to even out the vagaries of the dice, but it can also generate a tight encounter where a timely tactical ploy can make all the difference.

One potentially key decision for the French player is the use of the Napoleon card to improve the chances of a successful action. In many games, I have tended to hold off playing it until the Guard is deployed. The problem is, waiting for the Guard may prove a mistake as they may be used too late to have a real chance of influencing the result or they may never get used at all before the French rout.

So perhaps the Napoleon card could be used at other times, earlier in the fight?

Activating either cavalry corps with Napoleon looks a bad move as a roll of 6 cannot be ignored and hence the liklihood of a prolonged and wasteful cavalry attack is increased. Similarly, using Napoleon for either D'erlon or Reille corps is likely to be pointless if the Allied player has reserves available.

One other, perhaps less obvious, option is to trigger Napoleon to support the activation of Lobau against the Prussians. This not only improves the chances of a double unit loss against Blucher, but also increases the likelihood of Grouchy arriving - a major bonus for the French.

I am interested to know how others tend to make this possibly key, once per game, decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Davis
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably whenever I can get my hands on a copy of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zach66827 wrote:
Probably whenever I can get my hands on a copy of the game

You beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus,

I find the Napoleon card to be an "opportunity" card, in that I play it when it has a fair chance to influence the battle as a whole. I have often used it against old von Blücher in the same way that you have.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.