3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: iOS games for 2 players' online play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose K
Finland
flag msg tools
Me and my friend are looking for board games to play together online with just the two of us on iOS devices. It seems hard to find great 2 player games WITH a decent app AND online play. Especially as we're looking for something with decent replayability but being not too heavy (for example, Twilight Struggle is out of our league).

So now I'm asking you to add some suggestions here for iOS games you like playing with a friend online. Hope others will find new apps to pick from here too.

Here are some we've looked through:
Onitama - Gateway. It works great and is free, highly suggested.
Neuroshima Hex - It's a good game, but the app is ugly and functions poorly at times. Really expensive if you want to buy more armies than the ones included with base game.
Kingdom Builder - Couldn't get this to work for online play.
Ticket to Ride - Great, but quite an expensive gateway game if looking to play a 2 player map.
Star Realms - Sorry, but this is just ugly. At least it's free and should please fans of deckbuilders.
Pandemic - Great expectations, I'll want to introduce this to my friend live first.
Forbidden Desert & Island - Great gateway games.
Twilight Struggle - Heard great things, but it's heavy. Quite expensive too.
Carcassonne Expensive for a gateway game.
Chess - The classic, but we're looking for something new.
Agricola - A popular pick, quite heavy.
Mr Jack Pocket - Gateway.
Jaipur - Gateway.
Splendor - Gateway.
Patchwork - Gateway.
Lords of Waterdeep - Seems interesting, but pricey. Is it good for two?
Le Havre - Heavy.

Some games might be missing due to regional limits (we're from Finland). I purposefully left out some games that aren't regarded as great picks for two players (for example Small World 2, 7 Wonders and Catan).

Any games you'd like to add?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just started a thread looking for two player games, and Angel H. told me about the Morels iOS app - it’s a set collecting card game for two and apparently the app is very good.

A warning about the Lost Cities app - now that Game Centre has been removed from iOS in one of the latest iOS updates, I don’t think you can play Lost Cities online anymore. (I downloaded it recently and I certainly can’t figure out how to do it.)

Ticket to Ride is out favourite app so far because we like the Local play options - it has pass and play, but it also has the ability to connect two local devices over wifi or Bluetooth or something, so my hasband and I can play each other on our own iPads, and it’s very quick and simple to connect that way. I think this app is definitely worth the $$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico - I like the app much better than the physical game. It is prettier, all the fiddly stuff is handled for you, and it has a hint button which is helpful when learning.

Race for the Galaxy - The spiritual successor to the previous game. The symbols are confusing at first though.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig - We love the board game and the app is good too. A great tutorial and campaign mode, but the artwork in the app seems dated. Also, I think there is no online support.

Suburbia - Similar to the previous game but does not offer a tutorial. I do prefer it to the physical version because it handles all the fiddly stuff.

7 Wonders - The app is pretty but I prefer the physical game because the app seems to lack interaction.

Potion Explosion - This is the perfect game to make an app version for. They physical game was supposed to mimic an app so the app brings it full circle.

Galaxy Trucker - I am not a huge fan of the game but the app is pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.