Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grit and movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

Every Hero may spend Grit for a 1D6 Extra Movement Roll.

when I move, Can I first look at the result of my dice before saying if I spend a grit? Or should I say it before and throw two dice at a time?

Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll your movement die and see the result.

Pay your grit, roll your second die.

Pay another grit, roll another die.

You never get to see the result prior to paying grit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Roll your movement die and see the result.

Pay your grit, roll your second die.

Pay another grit, roll another die.

You never get to see the result prior to paying grit.

Thank you !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
It should be mentioned that you can even be at max grit, roll a 1 for movement, and spend that grit for more movement instead of it going to waste because you were full up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Roll your movement die and see the result.

Pay your grit, roll your second die.

Pay another grit, roll another die.

You never get to see the result prior to paying grit.

Had never considered you can spend 2 grit to add 2d6 to your move.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:

Had never considered you can spend 2 grit to add 2d6 to your move.
Yeah, this is one of the most common brimstone hacks that isn't immediately obvious. You can totally burn 4 Grit and sprint down a hallway.

- Jee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's Two things in recent days that we had not considered as part of our game. The above multiple grit for movement which I guess because it say's "Use 1 Grit to add a D6 to your movement" and Pre purchasing D/S bullets.

I am not arguing against either of the points but we wont be changing how they fit in our game as I feel it does help maintain an element of risk to adding the movement.Likewise with no hoarding of bullets it makes the town composition a suspenseful element of the game.

Over the years I have wondered how many of us play the game the same way
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Chase
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Had never considered you can spend 2 grit to add 2d6 to your move.
This occurred to me for the first time this week. I was playing with my nephew and he rolled 3 consecutive 1's to move when he was at full grit. It was funny, but he left us all behind.
1+1+1+5 (+1 because Indian Scout) = 9.
That's a huge amount of movement in this game, especially for level 1 characters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
Monky7 wrote:
Phantomwhale wrote:
Had never considered you can spend 2 grit to add 2d6 to your move.
This occurred to me for the first time this week. I was playing with my nephew and he rolled 3 consecutive 1's to move when he was at full grit. It was funny, but he left us all behind.
1+1+1+5 (+1 because Indian Scout) = 9.
That's a huge amount of movement in this game, especially for level 1 characters.
Just a side note, I don't think that works the way you're thinking. You can use the Grit gained for movement, but that isn't a movement roll. So you don't get a Grit for rolling a 1 on that die, and you don't get any effects that occur if you roll specific numbers (I think some characters get an effect if they roll a 6?). So, he'd only gain 1, from the initial roll. At least that's how I remember it being played.

On another note, had another player with a US Marshal in an online game that started with an Ancient Coin Personal Item, and at 2nd level, rolled an 8 on his Upgrade chart, taking Lore. Meaning his base move was d6+4.

There was always this USM-shaped cloud wherever the rest of the party was.

The Marshal couldn't hit for crap though. With a Shotgun, he missed so much, it was a running joke. Lucky he didn't need Grit for movement, because he blew it all trying to hit (and when he did hit, needing damage).

If it wasn't for the fact that we were all using the same RNG (roll20.net), I could have sworn it wasn't working properly.

But for a character so inefficient, he moved really quickly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
Just a side note, I don't think that works the way you're thinking. You can use the Grit gained for movement, but that isn't a movement roll. So you don't get a Grit for rolling a 1 on that die, and you don't get any effects that occur if you roll specific numbers (I think some characters get an effect if they roll a 6?). So, he'd only gain 1, from the initial roll. At least that's how I remember it being played.

When you roll a "1" for movement, you gain a grit. That is not limited to once a round. You may then immediately spend a grit to add another D6 to your movement, also not limited to once a round. You may continue to do this as long as you have grit to spend, which means if you keep rolling a "1" you can keep adding D6 movement.

So he is correct. Roll a 1, use the resulting grit to roll an extra D6. Roll a 1 on that D6 and use the resulting grit to add a third D6. Roll a 1 on THAT and add yet another D6. etc, until he stops spending grit on movement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
DistantOasis wrote:
Morgan Vening wrote:
Just a side note, I don't think that works the way you're thinking. You can use the Grit gained for movement, but that isn't a movement roll. So you don't get a Grit for rolling a 1 on that die, and you don't get any effects that occur if you roll specific numbers (I think some characters get an effect if they roll a 6?). So, he'd only gain 1, from the initial roll. At least that's how I remember it being played.

When you roll a "1" for movement, you gain a grit. That is not limited to once a round. You may then immediately spend a grit to add another D6 to your movement, also not limited to once a round. You may continue to do this as long as you have grit to spend, which means if you keep rolling a "1" you can keep adding D6 movement.

So he is correct. Roll a 1, use the resulting grit to roll an extra D6. Roll a 1 on that D6 and use the resulting grit to add a third D6. Roll a 1 on THAT and add yet another D6. etc, until he stops spending grit on movement.

"Note that using Grit to add an extra D6 to your movement does not let you Recover another Grit if you roll a 1 on that D6, as it is simply extra movement, not a Move roll. " - pg 11, Rulebook.

I knew it was in there somewhere.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
"Note that using Grit to add an extra D6 to your movement does not let you Recover another Grit if you roll a 1 on that D6, as it is simply extra movement, not a Move roll. " - pg 11, Rulebook.

I, and I think virtually every other player of the game, stand corrected.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only ever gain 1 grit from a move roll regardless how many dice you roll, only the normal/first roll counts, all the rest is just bonus movement added to that roll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Chase
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DistantOasis wrote:
Morgan Vening wrote:
"Note that using Grit to add an extra D6 to your movement does not let you Recover another Grit if you roll a 1 on that D6, as it is simply extra movement, not a Move roll. " - pg 11, Rulebook.

I, and I think virtually every other player of the game, stand corrected.

Indeed.
Thanks for pointing that out. With a game this complex, I always assume there are rules I missed/got wrong. Thanks for the reference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls