Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: I Played A Major Rule Wrong for Years rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timmo Warner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect, I can't believe I did this wrong for so long.

I vaguely remember that I played correctly when I got KDM after the first KickStarter, but at some point since then I started treating the third number on weapons (strength) as the number of WOUNDS you do to the monster, not as a modifier to your wound attempt.

This means my playgroups were wounding monsters FAR less often than we should have been, but when we did hit, we were doing far more damage than we should have. I think it kind of evened out since nothing ever seemed really off or unbalanced. (There was one event that SHOULD have tipped me off, but since there was something else making things easier at the time I attributed it to the other thing.)

I still find myself occasionally reminded of things I forgot or having to look up some rules, but nothing that major and certainly not for so long!

I'm interested if anyone else has done something like this in KDM or other games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, writing the numbers as "2x", "6+", "+3" would have been a clearer way to express how many dice, target number, and modifier
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
So would the perfect slayer have done 14 x 3 wounds? Pretty sick!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gokufan wrote:
So would the perfect slayer have done 14 x 3 wounds? Pretty sick!

wounding only on lantern 10, cause you know, monster thoughness >>> 10.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I was playing for a while in my campaign that movement could not be done after the activation, meaning I always had to fully finish moving before making any kind of attack or other action. Turned out, I had mixed the rules up in my head between KD:M and Mythic Battles: Pantheon.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, and of course, we don't know we are playing it wrong. This is one of the big reasons why I almost completely ignore complains about balance in tabletop games. I just assume 90% of the people playing are getting some rules wrong.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
Avatar
warfinger wrote:
This kind of stuff happens all the time, and of course, we don't know we are playing it wrong. This is one of the big reasons why I almost completely ignore complains about balance in tabletop games. I just assume 90% of the people playing are getting some rules wrong.

It's also part of the reason I hang out places like this. Always nice to have the rules you know reinforced regularly and find out some new bits here and there.

And I am with you in that any time anyone says KDM is either extremely easy or impossibly hard, I wonder whether or not they know the rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
laucion wrote:
Gokufan wrote:
So would the perfect slayer have done 14 x 3 wounds? Pretty sick!

wounding only on lantern 10, cause you know, monster thoughness >>> 10.


There are ways to increase your attack strength other than the number on the attack profile, the perfect slayer is sharp, for instance.

When you say "thoughness >>> 10" are you talking about a specific monster? Because that's not really true in a general sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of monsters with toughness > 10, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
warfinger wrote:
I was playing for a while in my campaign that movement could not be done after the activation, meaning I always had to fully finish moving before making any kind of attack or other action.


Your wording here is a bit imprecise, so just to clarify: you do not have to, sequentially, take your movement before your act. However, if you do choose to do it first, you do have to "fully finish moving before making any kind of attack or other action" - you can't move a few spaces, do your act, then move more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gokufan wrote:
laucion wrote:
Gokufan wrote:
So would the perfect slayer have done 14 x 3 wounds? Pretty sick!

wounding only on lantern 10, cause you know, monster thoughness >>> 10.


There are ways to increase your attack strength other than the number on the attack profile, the perfect slayer is sharp, for instance.

When you say "thoughness >>> 10" are you talking about a specific monster? Because that's not really true in a general sense.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
By the time you get Perfect Slayer, yes, IIRC Antelope LVL3 has 18. But I was thinking about the two last nemesis of the game, Watcher with 20-25 and GSK with 27.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.