designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster! Monster!

Designer:
Mads L. Brynnum

Illustrations:
Mads H. Johansen

Overview:
In Monster! Monster! dragons, zombies, owlbears, and more fight over humans. Each player has the same deck of 15 monsters with special abilities, and you win by capturing either three of the same kind of human or four different ones.

# of Players:

Suggested Play Time:

10-20 minutes.

Suggested age:
8 and up.

List of Components:
30 Monster Cards.
12 Human Cards
Rules

This is not a mint tin, but it seems to fit the dimensions.

Link to Files:

Game rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X5MPqehKwIhSz0Nz2R5S4002x7F...
Cards: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IwJ2A7gIBBdL8Xq2PaI9aVD6X9r...

Print cards double sided
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Monster! Monster! - 2018 mint tin contest entry (components ready)
Fantastic artwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildcard Six wrote:
Fantastic artwork!

Thanks! Most of it wasn't made specifically for this game, though. It's from a book about monsters I made with the illustrator, so this game is meant to maybe be a tie in product.

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit more info about the game experience and idea behind.

The game is based on a book of rhymes about monsters I've made with the illustrator. The idea was to make a small footprint game that would capture some of the mood from the book. Also, all monsters should have an ability that would somehow make sense based on the myth about them. For instance the zombie will keep on fighting until it captures a human, the orc is stronger when fighting with others, and so on.

I've tested the game quite a lot in Danish before I made the English version ready for the contest, and I think it's pretty solid. Currently I'm working on variant monsters you can add to your deck instead of others, and I also have an idea for a variant that would even out the odds between experienced and new players. I don't quite know yet if I'll include them in the game before the contest deadline.

m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is now contest ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
Thank you Mads for this game.
Very nice artwork indeed, as it was already said.

Are the monsters coming from the book? This is very cool, is the book written in Danish or also in English? I think it is a wonderful idea to read the book to kids that later can play the game with the characters they loved.

A bit of a critic is about the theme of monsters taking humans, especially young girls. I know, there are plenty of successful games with monsters and wars and killings. And I know that most of the people do not care about those things. But I am reporting my personal feelings about a game that can be played by young kids. I would change the girl into some adult character instead. Or I will make a "naughty little girl" character, that no monster can defeat/take. This solution might give an additional tactical option: move the opponent's strong monster to the human that cannot be taken.

I see that the monsters are all different. When one is played, it will not be used in following turns. Would it be a good idea to have the same monster on more than one card? For instance, I would love to have two cards with Poltergeists and two with elf maids.

I like the simplicity of this game, the look and the link to a book. With a bit of a twitch, it might become a hit for young kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your comments.

First of all the book is currently only in Danish. I am, however, working on an English version, and maybe someday I'll find a publisher :-)

I can totally get your concern about kids. The rules doesn't specify that they are eaten, but some of the rhymes are about eating kids. But in a fun way, and truth be told the most of the monsters are a bit sad. You can see a couple of the translated ones below.

You only use each monster once. I think having more of the same would make the game easier to play for kids. On the other hand it might make the game a bit too "random" if you have too many of the really powerful ones. I should probably test that at some point. Ideally all monsters with the same number should be the same or have (almost) the same ability.

What you can do is you can play the game a couple of times without using the abilities. It's not great, but it works pretty well and could give a kid a feel for how to play before you introduce a lot of abilites.

With that being said, here are a couple of rhymes:

DRAGON
When a dragon it sets out
on a long and lofty quest
It won’t be scared at all
of men with swords and crests
It simply grabs a maiden
and carries her away
Waiting for a shiny knight
to rescue her so gay

But the maiden isn’t sad
in the tower there above
The maiden and her dragon
shares a special kind of love
They have set it up
they have planned it all for days
‘Cause the best thing that they know
is a knight that’s all ablaze

POLTERGEIST
I rattle with chains
And toss around mugs
I scare you to death
With icy-cold hugs
I write on your mirror
And watch how you shake
But now I can see
How that’s a mistake
Cause who will I scare
When everyone’s fled?
Life can be lonely
When you are dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
mads b. wrote:
Thank you for your comments.

First of all the book is currently only in Danish. I am, however, working on an English version, and maybe someday I'll find a publisher :-)

I can totally get your concern about kids. The rules doesn't specify that they are eaten, but some of the rhymes are about eating kids. But in a fun way, and truth be told the most of the monsters are a bit sad. You can see a couple of the translated ones below.

You only use each monster once. I think having more of the same would make the game easier to play for kids. On the other hand it might make the game a bit too "random" if you have too many of the really powerful ones. I should probably test that at some point. Ideally all monsters with the same number should be the same or have (almost) the same ability.

What you can do is you can play the game a couple of times without using the abilities. It's not great, but it works pretty well and could give a kid a feel for how to play before you introduce a lot of abilites.

With that being said, here are a couple of rhymes:

DRAGON
When a dragon it sets out
on a long and lofty quest
It won’t be scared at all
of men with swords and crests
It simply grabs a maiden
and carries her away
Waiting for a shiny knight
to rescue her so gay

But the maiden isn’t sad
in the tower there above
The maiden and her dragon
shares a special kind of love
They have set it up
they have planned it all for days
‘Cause the best thing that they know
is a knight that’s all ablaze

POLTERGEIST
I rattle with chains
And toss around mugs
I scare you to death
With icy-cold hugs
I write on your mirror
And watch how you shake
But now I can see
How that’s a mistake
Cause who will I scare
When everyone’s fled?
Life can be lonely
When you are dead

Love those rhymes! They are not scary at all, very funny.
If you do not find a publisher, go on Kickstarter for the combo book and game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.