Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Arms
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that the rules included in the box are some of the worst written rules that I have seen in many years. After reading the rules, I had close to zero idea of how to actually play. Where were the illustrations of what is meant for each rule? Where were keywords even fricken defined? The couple of sentences regarding the Market don't even merit their own section to fully explain a sizeable section on one of the sheets. Augh!

OK, lest this be just a gripe post, here is a link to a preview video made by maeglin123 on BGG that did a fine job of explaining the rules (albeit not with the final version of the sheets).

From all that has been written about the game and from the preview video above, I do expect the game to be very enjoyable despite the poor rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
for what it's worth, i found the game to be enjoyable. Though I am in full agreement with you regarding the rules. The solo rules were especially lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't looked at solo rules. But the main rules worked fine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mann
United States
Gladstone
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must agree with this post in every way. This is a very fun game but the rule book is for the birds not fish.
Worst rule book I have ever seen. It took me 2 days of reading and re-reading while looking at the sheets to finally figure it out.
Great game once you figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I have a few ways in which I would improve the rulebook, my experience was not nearly this bad. I would describe it as decent but with a few weak points. I had a few questions, for sure, but those were rule clarifications which were quickly resolved by posting to these forums.

Just sharing my experience. (also, I have yet to try the solo game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it sounds harsh, I have to agree with the OP. Every time I play the game I finally think I have all the rules right and then another thread pops up and I found out I had yet another rule wrong. This is really surprising because Fleet, while a more complex game, has a much better rule book. I still question whether I am playing the solo game properly. The wording on the licenses is vague in some instances and income is never properly explained. I thought the Lobster license was cumulative, but it's not. It maxes out at an increase of three coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually found the rules easy to understand and implement. Maybe because I've played a lot of Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of Fleet as well so concepts that were similar came easy to me. That being said, most of the concepts that were new to Fleet were not spelled out well. I needed to seek out answers elsewhere and a few just figure out what made the most sense. Not the worst rule book I have read. Very far from the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe EGG can provide an updated/streamlined version of the rules as a PDF on their homepage and here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought the rules were well written or at least above average. The snag for me was the lack of illustrations and examples to drive the rules home.Adding another 4 pages to the rule book to address that would have been fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
marms wrote:
I must say that the rules included in the box are some of the worst written rules that I have seen in many years.

Amen, brother.

Frankly, I don't get it. The game really isn't that complicated and with only a few more pages and illustrations, everything would have been ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svalladolid wrote:
I actually found the rules easy to understand and implement. Maybe because I've played a lot of Fleet.

I've played Fleet once and still had no issues with the rules. Roll dice, check top boxes (ALWAYS the top box), get a star, check top box anywhere. Fish every other round, which means check off one fish per boat you own. A couple restrictions. Other than that, Play 10 rounds, score points based on several factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rules to be fine, though I have played fleet previously. I agree some things could be emphasized a little better. The only rule glitch I have come across was how the canning company and oyster licenses interact, which was addressed by the designer in another thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had zero questions after reading the rules. There are three pages detailing exactly what each box does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
svalladolid wrote:

I've played Fleet once and still had no issues with the rules. Roll dice, check top boxes (ALWAYS the top box), get a star, check top box anywhere. Fish every other round, which means check off one fish per boat you own. A couple restrictions. Other than that, Play 10 rounds, score points based on several factors.

You also dont even need to remember the fish every other round part, it is right in the round tracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Holliday
England
Glasgow
flag msg tools
I`m glad that it`s not just me who`s had problems.
I`m still not entirely sure how the Shrimp dice work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Holliday
England
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Maybe I missed it, but where do the rules explain what the 3 coins above the 2nd licenses mean?
I assume you get 3 coins as soon as you select that action, but I don`t think it`s explained anywhere.
Todd Degani wrote:
I had zero questions after reading the rules. There are three pages detailing exactly what each box does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GomezTheChimp wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but where do the rules explain what the 3 coins above the 2nd licenses mean?
I assume you get 3 coins as soon as you select that action, but I don`t think it`s explained anywhere.

It's 2 coins, on page 6:

"License Bonuses
You get bonus abilities as you activate licenses during play. As you activate more than 1 license of the same type, that bonus is replaced by the stronger, next-level bonus. (The bonuses are not cumulative.) In addition, whenever you activate the second license of a type, you gain 2 coins immediately. All level 3 fishing licenses are worth VPs at game end."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.