Subject: The sound in the app is not working for me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Manda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if this is just me or is a general issue. I have tried the app web page on a couple of devices and neither gave me any sound. There is so much to try and remember that having it say “Feed me, feed me!” at appropriate intervals would really help. Then again I have no idea if that is what it would say if it could!

My wife and I have had great fun failing so far anyhow .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattNManda wrote:
I was wondering if this is just me or is a general issue. I have tried the app web page on a couple of devices and neither gave me any sound. There is so much to try and remember that having it say “Feed me, feed me!” at appropriate intervals would really help. Then again I have no idea if that is what it would say if it could!

My wife and I have had great fun failing so far anyhow .

Thanks for reporting this issue! I'll see if I can find some time to look into it tomorrow.

What devices have you tried it on? Android, iOS, something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Manda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:

What devices have you tried it on? Android, iOS, something else?

An iPad, version 12.01 using safari. And an android phone using an up to date version of Chrome.

Thanks for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Luigi Tartaglia
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve the same problem with an iPhone 8 Plus and iOS 12.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Status update:

I didn't have much time Wednesday and Thursday, so I haven't taken a deeper look yet. With the weekend and holidays coming up, I will have plenty of time to look further into this though.

So far, I tried it on my own Android phone, and the sound did work there, but I realised two things. Firstly, I needed to have the sound close to max for the sound to be clearly audible. Secondly, the sound is very high-pitched, which might make it impossible to hear to a significant number of people. The sound it makes is a high-pitched "tink", kind of like if you tap a wine-glass with a small spoon. I'll look into potentially changing this sound, or maybe even make it possible to choose between a few different options.

Also, I'll make sure to make the app play the sound when you switch sound on via the little icon in the bottom right corner. Sounds starts on by default, but if you switch it off and then on again, it should definitely make a sound, so you know that it works, and what sound to listen for.

Please note that the app only makes noise at very specific times. When the Feeder Time reaches 30 seconds, it makes 1 "tink", at 20 seconds, it makes 2 "tinks", and at 10 seconds, it makes 3 "tinks".

I wanted the sound to be informative, but not distracting or annoying. Please do give me your thoughts and opinions on what kinds of sounds you'd like the app to make and when.

Update: I've been able to verify the sound issue on an old iPad, and one slightly newer iPad mini.

I also realised that all the buttons are shown twice on iOS, at least on those two devices. Has anyone else seen that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Manda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update, the buttons only appeared one for me, on both devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Luigi Tartaglia
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattNManda wrote:
Thanks for the update, the buttons only appeared one for me, on both devices.

Same for me, just once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've made a small update to the app.

I've swapped out the sound for one that is a bit lower pitch, with a fuller sound. It also has a significantly higher volume. I think the old sound might actually have been high enough that not all speakers could play it, because when I tried it on the iPad mini, I did hear something, but really not much at all.

The second change is that now the sound plays when you enable the sound in the app. Since the app defaults to sound enabled, you can get the sound to play by first disabling sound, and then enabling it again. That should help a little with debugging as well, since you no longer have to wait for the feed timer to count down one and a half minute before it makes a sound.

In order for the updated app to load, you might have to open the app once, then quit it (just close the tab if in a browser, or swipe it off the recent apps list if saved to home-screen), then open the app again, and you should get the latest version.

The direct link to the sound is https://pocketdragon.co.uk/assets/sound/cling_2.mp3

If you can't get the sound to play in the app, please visit the link, and make sure that the sound can be heard when you play it either in the browser or in a media-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Manda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you very much for this, the sound now worked very well for us on a iPad. It really helps with not forgetting to feed and means we now only forget everything else that is going on .

We played our fourth and fifth games and finally got a victory for 12 points! (On easy of course). I am sure this update was a contributory factor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattNManda wrote:
Thanks you very much for this, the sound now worked very well for us on a iPad. It really helps with not forgetting to feed and means we now only forget everything else that is going on .

We played our fourth and fifth games and finally got a victory for 12 points! (On easy of course). I am sure this update was a contributory factor

Nice! Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattNManda wrote:

Wooo awesome to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.