Subject: Question about the current state of the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s been a while since I played, and I don’t see many current discussions on the matter. My question is this:

With the new expansions and scenarios, is the “rush strategy” for the Rebels still the most viable way for them to play? (And, if not, what specifically halted that strategy?)

Just wondering. I want to jump back in, but that always turned me off.

Edit: Following the advice on this thread, we played again: the Hoth Campaign. Also, started Bespin.

Yeah...my early issues have vanished. Excellent game. (And I’m finding fresh joy in the Skirmish mode too. I really hope they keep it alive. I prefer it to most miniature games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
With the new expansions and scenarios, is the “rush strategy” for the Rebels still the most viable way for them to play?

I have never seen an only-rush strategy work.

The most successful which works best in general regardless of the mission (whether app or the regular campaign) is to defeat hostile figures as efficiently as possible on the first round, then furthering objectives with a decent amount of hostile control throughout. Defeating groups means the rebels are getting attacked less, and have activation advantage.

Completely ignoring hostile figures never works. However, depending on the mission and the effectiveness of the rebels on the first few rounds, there comes a point when the heroes can just go full tilt without worrying about all of them becoming wounded.

(Always play with 4 heroes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
It’s been a while since I played, and I don’t see many current discussions on the matter. My question is this:

With the new expansions and scenarios, is the “rush strategy” for the Rebels still the most viable way for them to play? (And, if not, what specifically halted that strategy?)

Just wondering. I want to jump back in, but that always turned me off.

What "rush strategy"? The whole point is to force the rebels to advance. They are the stronger shooters/fighters. What point would be there if they had all the time they needed? The game would be quite boring for the OL then... If you are looking for a game master style of game, this might not be it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
GreatDebate wrote:
With the new expansions and scenarios, is the “rush strategy” for the Rebels still the most viable way for them to play?

I have never seen an only-rush strategy work.

The most successful which works best in general regardless of the mission (whether app or the regular campaign) is to defeat hostile figures as efficiently as possible on the first round, then furthering objectives with a decent amount of hostile control throughout. Defeating groups means the rebels are getting attacked less, and have activation advantage.

Completely ignoring hostile figures never works. However, depending on the mission and the effectiveness of the rebels on the first few rounds, there comes a point when the heroes can just go full tilt without worrying about all of them becoming wounded.

(Always play with 4 heroes.)

Thanks for the response!

It’s not really an “only-rush” strategy, but more like “predominantly-rush”.

Here’s what I mean and why I ask though:

The rebels in my game always killed a few units - but only those things in their path. But I never felt like the game compelled them to engage in many fights. It compelled them to move and get to certain spaces. But not to fight. It did compel me, as the Overlord, to try to catch and block them. But it felt as much like a (poor) cat-and-mouse game as it did a skirmish game in an epic universe.

After playing the original campaign (which I did like for the most part) and skirmish (which I greatly enjoyed and believe was the strength of the early game), I felt like the campaign game did not encourage enough epic-ness in the battles. For the rebels, it was more like, let’s stand next to those terminals and then get the heck out here.

Thematically appropriate? Maybe.

Satisfying? Not for me.

So, I was wondering whether the new scenarios were cut from the same mold as the old ones or did they encourage bigger battles? Or did they, at least, diversify goals, etc...?

Also, which expansions had the best scenarios, in your opinion?

Again, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The missions become more varied over time. "Bigger battles" - there's really no time for those or the missions would never end. (Look into e.g. 4-player skirmish if you prefer fighting over objectives.)

However, the imperial player does get new tools from various expansions - new class decks and very useful imperial units (Dewback Rider and elite Jawa Scavenger are my favorites). Of course the usefulness of units depends on your class deck, playstyle, the heroes, and the mission.

Maybe you should also take a look at the Legends of the Alliance companion app, which allows to play co-op/solo. The first campaign on it (Flight of the Freedom Fighter) is new content (core box needed to play). The story of the second app campaign is loosely based on the Jabba's Realm expansion (required to play), the missions are close but different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is asked alot in descent too. I think in computer rpgs. You clear a room and move on.. that might be the base of the conflict.. but in movies heros are rushing through knowing there is endless goblins or a garrison of troopers .. also it's a great timing tool.. heros dont turtle heal clear move .. it's a difficult and abstract concept sometimes but it works and makes sense.. it is about positioning and opening a space and killing the most current threat which some times seems wrong..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The missions become more varied over time. "Bigger battles" - there's really no time for those or the missions would never end. (Look into e.g. 4-player skirmish if you prefer fighting over objectives.)

However, the imperial player does get new tools from various expansions - new class decks and very useful imperial units (Dewback Rider and elite Jawa Scavenger are my favorites). Of course the usefulness of units depends on your class deck, playstyle, the heroes, and the mission.

Maybe you should also take a look at the Legends of the Alliance companion app, which allows to play co-op/solo. The first campaign on it (Flight of the Freedom Fighter) is new content (core box needed to play). The story of the second app campaign is loosely based on the Jabba's Realm expansion (required to play), the missions are close but different.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback, Pasi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
It may also be worth noting that the Return to Hoth expansion/campaign removes a lot of the round limits, and even flips the script in a few cases placing round limits on the Imperials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that! I’m going to check out the Hoth scenarios first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.