Mage Knight: Ultimate Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How much do expansions alter the base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom G
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
So I'm relatively new to boardgaming and was watching the Ricky Royal videos on how to play. Game looks pretty cool.

My question is with the expansions, will there be extra cards in the deck when I'm trying to play the base version? I'd like to start on that as I truely figure out how to play.

Basically I'm asking is it adding anything special to the game (other than scenarios and such) to where it would alter the base game other than some extra cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
If you dont have the game already then the ultimate version is the better buy as it does give you the expansions all in the one box. I believe 2 of Ricky’s play throughs are expansion based.

I pre-ordered ultimate version from my LFGS as it was cheaper than buying core and expansions.

Edit: another thing, everyone watches the Youtube videos to learn the game as everyone says the rulebook sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
hepta2502 wrote:
Edit: another thing, everyone watches the Youtube videos to learn the game as everyone says the rulebook sucks.

"Everyone" doesn't include myself, anyone I've played with, or various BGG users that have commented on these forums over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metony mous
msg tools
mb
Benkyo wrote:
hepta2502 wrote:

"Everyone" doesn't include myself, anyone I've played with, or various BGG users that have commented on these forums over the years.

It isn't perfect, but not bad, I think: You'll find mostly everything you need and expect from a rules book. New players may have issues, I guess it comes down to finding what you're searching for, not the rules themselves. In the files section you can find an index that is helpful.

It is not hard to learn, the rules complexity is exaggerated, (but it is a tradition to do some meditation on the resistances.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
hepta2502 wrote:

I agree Benkyo.

I think the rule book is nearly flawless. The challenge with the book have to do with the level of complexity for learning the game. One just has to remember that the site description cards are part of the rules that are not written in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Lost Legion doesn't radically change the game but it does improve the game overall in my opinion. It provides extra cards that mostly add variety and more options. It adds more tiles with new types of locations to interact with. The biggest change is the enemy character Volkaire. Using him is optional depending on how you set up the scenario.

You can get tons of play out of the base game before you will ever want/need to add Lost Legion. But it might be a better buy overall to buy the new Ultimate Edition.

The Krang character is cool. Not necessary but fun. I have not played Shades of Tezla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Biramar wrote:
So I'm relatively new to boardgaming and was watching the Ricky Royal videos on how to play. Game looks pretty cool.

My question is with the expansions, will there be extra cards in the deck when I'm trying to play the base version? I'd like to start on that as I truely figure out how to play.

Basically I'm asking is it adding anything special to the game (other than scenarios and such) to where it would alter the base game other than some extra cards?

Lost Legion: Replaces one card in each characters' starting hand, adds a character, adds a bunch of tokens and cards, some of which have new effects, adds an optional boss enemy and scenarios that make use of him. All good stuff, but some of the additional content creates interactions with the base game rules that are ambiguous (although you may well not notice - it's not a confusing mess, just some niche situations). Some of the base game rules are changed, and cards/tokens replaced, but nothing drastic.

Krang: New character only, but also manages to create some ambiguous situations.

Shades of Tezla: New character, two new boss enemies with accompanying tokens and scenarios that make use of them. The tokens can also be used in regular scenarios. Again, some new ambiguous situations created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ultimate Edition surely is a bargain. If you already own the base game you also could buy the expansions later on.
They are in no way a necessity, but they enrichen the game.

The base game itself already has a lot of variety and replayability due to the different heroes and all the random elements that change in every game.
There are a large number of rules and details to follow. I think it would be wise to play the base game a couple of times before adding more stuff with even more rules and details to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Lang
msg tools
Mondkalb123 wrote:
The Ultimate Edition surely is a bargain. If you already own the base game you also could buy the expansions later on.
They are in no way a necessity, but they enrichen the game.

The base game itself already has a lot of variety and replayability due to the different heroes and all the random elements that change in every game.
There are a large number of rules and details to follow. I think it would be wise to play the base game a couple of times before adding more stuff with even more rules and details to consider.

I would just offer an alternate opinion. I started with Lost Legion included with no problems. Lost Legion does a lot to improve the game... But it also improves the game's balance. It may be jarring to develop strategies based on the base game and then have to adapt to changed balance as well as some rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.