Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved it!!

I didn’t miss the campaign aspect at all. In fact, the newer version is more streamlined while being just as fun and juicy.

Plus, the stories felt fine. In fact, after comparing the new game to Warhammer Quest, I can say that the old campaign didn’t add that much to the game beyond book-keeping.

Also, I love the fact that there is only one rulebook (and not two - as per the FFG norm).

One thing though: I do really need expansions. I can’t wait to get more heroes, new upgrade cards, and scenarios.

I’m converted!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the update! I was in the same camp as you so I'm glad to hear this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I do think it's missing an overarching story that the campaign supplied, but that's just because I love the Warhammer world, so WQACG was natural and fitting for me

I do love the streamlined rules, extra heroes, and classes, so it's definitely on my radar to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite honestly, when I opened the box and saw that there was no gear deck, I was very skeptical. I love outfitting my characters with weapons (for the same reason that I love campaigns).

But after playing, I realized that the upgrade of action cards over the course of the game was more than enough to differentiate the characters and scratch my campaign itch. Also, I realized that growth in WHQ was very “controlled” and that the differentiation was not nearly as diverse as I originally felt. (I went back to play WHQ again, and it didn’t feel any deeper to me. Still excellent fun, but no more meaty than Heroes).

In sum, the core of the game (which is retained in Heroes of Terrinoth) was 100% of the fun. The designers were smart to pare it down (and then hopefully re-build from here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Elkins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the story of the campaign in WHQ. This feels like 8 one shot sessions where everyone gets to level up multiple times. I would have liked it more if there was an order to playing the quests that built things up story wise. The game feels 99% the same as WHQ, which I loved, though it is sped up with multiple upgrades each quest. I also do like the multiple characters and classes. Will definitely be looking forward to an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
(and then hopefully re-build from here.)

that's all I ever wanted. Heroes of Terrinoth is a lot of fun in the core box - it's just painful to tear down your character and start all over again each new session. Even if we only retained a single upgrade, or a few persistent item cards from one session to the next, that would be enough to scratch the itch and make this game see the table much more often.

So hopefully that building process will happen. I haven't heard any discussion on how the game is selling; hopefully well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, the theme, setting, and characters still give the game-world persistence.

As for the “leveling up” anew each time, it’s all really just a naming convention. I just see it as the character becoming inspired during the adventure. Each one is able to reach certain points of inspiration for a limited time, which is an innate facet of their character (and a decision you get to make fresh each game - as opposed to just once and permanently.)

This also works especially well towards balance (and fiddliness) because it allows for all the enemies to be used regularly, and not just at certain “character levels”. The game does not have to limit enemy usage to certain character levels (which, if done right in a campaign, just balances out equally with higher level characters anyways.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.