Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Jarmusch

Oakland
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a dumb question:
Can anyone tell me how many chips players should have at the start of Regent? Also, i suppose you play until someone runs out of chips-is this correct? The rules dont seem to mention either of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Don:

Sorry for the confusion.

Regent is a gambling game. It doesn't matter how many chips you start with. The goal is just to finish with more.

There's no set length of play; you should play until you decide to stop. (Playing until one player is out of chips could take a very long time.)

As with similar games, e.g. poker, the basic rules only explain how to play a single hand. There are many ways to incorporate that single hand into a larger structure, but traditionally that decision is left to the players.

If you need a framework, I recommend starting with 100 chips each and playing for a fixed number of hands, or a fixed time, for example 20 minutes.

Thanks!

James Ernest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Jarmusch

Oakland
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James- thank you so much for your quick and kind reply. I have not played many gambling games, so I Appreciate your making it easy to understand. We are enjoying Pairs so far and I am excited to try a lot of the different game in the rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Don:

Glad to hear it! Keep watching cheapass.com for a compilation of the 12 free one-page Pairs games from 2018 Game Trade Magazine (the latest one came out in the December issue).

This Spring, we will collect them all in a PDF. Some of the very best Pairs games are in that block!

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
CheapassJames wrote:
Don:

Glad to hear it! Keep watching cheapass.com for a compilation of the 12 free one-page Pairs games from 2018 Game Trade Magazine (the latest one came out in the December issue).

This Spring, we will collect them all in a PDF. Some of the very best Pairs games are in that block!

James

That’s awesome. Our favorite one is The Judge. It is not in the Pairs Companion but is should be part of a compilation somewhere so it doesn’t get lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.