United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
We noticed in our game that the board got cleared out pretty quickly, leaving few options for hunting and the end-of-turn, monster movement part was pretty dull.

Was it just by chance, or did I miss a rule where monsters respawn periodically? Or once they're dead, that's it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Massing
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Learn to Play book:

"When you kill an enemy, you gain XP (described later) equal to
its level and discard the enemy from the map; it is returned to
the supply. Then, you take a random enemy of the same type
from the supply and place it facedown on the closest matching
icon on the map that does not already have an enemy of that
type on it. While an enemy is facedown, it is inactive."

To clarify why it says "of that type," monsters may only spawn on an icon of the same type and so that may seem redundant at first, however, monsters of other types may be on the same space--not by spawning at that location but, rather, as a result of moving there from other spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as an enemy is killed, a new random enemy of that same type is spawned inactive (facedown) at the nearest space with that enemy's symbol to the space that the enemy was killed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did that wrong the first time I played too, and yea, the game got pretty slow afterwards.

...and then in the most recent game I played, I incorrectly spawned the enemies face up, which meant they were more "active" than they should have been.

I'm not very good at following the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Bilestoad17 wrote:
From the Learn to Play book:

"When you kill an enemy, you gain XP (described later) equal to
its level and discard the enemy from the map; it is returned to
the supply. Then, you take a random enemy of the same type
from the supply and place it facedown on the closest matching
icon on the map that does not already have an enemy of that
type on it. While an enemy is facedown, it is inactive."

To clarify why it says "of that type," monsters may only spawn on an icon of the same type and so that may seem redundant at first, however, monsters of other types may be on the same space--not by spawning at that location but, rather, as a result of moving there from other spaces.

#!@%!!

I knew we were doing something wrong! The board was just too empty at the end there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Vrolijk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yep. The game actually has a fairly nice balance where the more tiles you explore, the more monsters spawn, but the slower they move because they'll actually have to move through the spaces on the tile instead of treating the whole thing as one space. Just a little thing, but I find it's nicely balanced so exploring doesn't instantly mean you're overwhelmed, but it does get progressively more dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.