Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mithun
United States
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game curious to know which variant is preferred in the community. Do you guys enjoy the basic or the advanced navaratna variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
sriniv30 wrote:
Just got the game curious to know which variant is preferred in the community. Do you guys enjoy the basic or the advanced navaratna variant?

I love playing this game. So far I've focused on the basic variant and I would recommend playing it 2 or 3 times. But the advance really stirs things up as now you can also optimise your player board to best suit your preferred strategy. This adds playing time though which is why in the advanced version you can have up to 6 workers instead of just the 5 in the base game.

I'd see the basic as introductory (even though it's really a full-fledged worker placement for even experienced gamers) and then switch it over after a few games with the same group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clovis chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Main changes (over Basic):
A) Player board starts off weaker with obtainable yield upgrades
B) 6 potential meeples over 5
C) players with fewer meeples get yield upgrades

IMO, the advanced variant is better.

A1) In Basic, the pretty much strongest building strat is to build downwards for the 1 monument track upgrade & dice, then branch out both left and right for the OP rewards.

With Advanced, the bottom yield tiles are still the strongest, but you might have to slow down to get the yield tiles because the starting ones are weak. what this means is Advanced is less linear

B1) Focusing roughly 50-50 money & fame is the direction the game steers you towards. Therefore in Basic, River can be totally neglected unless the immediate spots are worthwhile to you. In Advanced, moving up River quickly can be a strong point to consider.

C1) In Advanced, you have a catchup mechanic (although this game is like 80% skill and 20% luck, so a pro will still thrash a newbie anyday). It might make tactical sense to delay getting the extra meeple 1-2 turns to get yield tiles if you have not been getting the Dancer slot. Also, I find Dance in Basic a bit too OP.

But somehow people on Yucata prefer to play Basic lol (and Mango Village, which I don't really like but that's another story).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I’ve never tried the basic version. We went straight to the advanced rules. I would only opt for the basic version if someone was very new to board games and was learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogtorted wrote:
I’ve never tried the basic version. We went straight to the advanced rules. I would only opt for the basic version if someone was very new to board games and was learning the game.

Same for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played the basic version once and would never do so again as it makes the #2 advisor spot just a luckfest - just blind draw one of teh silver tile sand get the reward immediately, rather than choosing a tile to add to your board and then only get the reward when you connect it - and reduces the interesting choices as the basic side of the board is drab.

I've not actually used the river tiles to alter that yet, and I probably should as there are a couple of spots in the first 9 that get hogged, so changing that up a bit would possibly be a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.