Subject: Rule Clarifications and Corrections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I am starting this thread to post any rule clarifications or corrections regarding Devil Boats. Corrections and rule clarifications will eventually be implemented into new game version files as they are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
v1.01 Tables Book Correction

Table 6-6 (p.17) missing modifier: +3 if PT Boat is in Close Range zone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Convoy Combat Rule Clarification (Tables Book)

At the beginning of each new convoy wave, all PT boats start out in the Long Range zone, regardless of Range Zone at the end of previous combat wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rule Clarification (PT Damage Table Book 10-1)

- Mild Dysentery + 2 Light Wounds = Serious Wound

- Mild Dysentery + Serious Wound = KIA

- Severe Dysentery + Serious Wound = KIA

- All Dysentery effects are temporary and are removed once returning to base (unless KIA). For example, mild Dysentery + 2 Light Wounds = Serious Wound during the mission, but count as 2 Light Wounds back at base. In other words, crewman is no longer considered Seriously Wounded and does not have to roll Serious Wound 1D6 recovery check.

I may add Dysentery counters later to use for infected crew on the Crewmen Placement Board for easy reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If Freshwater Tank is hit during combat, all current convoy combat waves may be completed before having to abort mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
During convoy combat, all PTs in the squadron are expected to remain in formation (same Range Zone) except under the following conditions:

1. PT becomes disabled and cannot move.

2. PT is heavily damaged. Under this circumstance, damaged PT may break formation and head for another Range Zone (presumably Long Range), but must remain in that zone and may not exit combat if wanting to remain with the squadron after all combat / waves have ended. PT may only exit combat if aborting mission and leaving the squadron permanently. If doing so, damaged PT must spend at least 1 combat round in the Long Range Zone before exiting combat and aborting mission.

As squadron leader, PT #1 may never exit combat and abort mission without the other PT boats. If PT #1 exits combat and aborts mission, all PTs must exit and abort together.

PTs #2-4 exiting combat and aborting mission without PT #1 may not rejoin formation later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
During Special Missions, PT #2 may break formation and hold back in the Medium or Long Range Zone while PT #1 attempts to complete the mission in the Close Range Zone. Doing so lessens the chance of detection and reef collision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Due to splitting up combat types (air patrol, shore gun, and convoy) into separate books in order to streamline gameplay, each type of combat takes place separately and never occur together on the same game board at the same time.

For example: My PT squadron is on an offensive patrol in assigned zone 1 (red) on the strategic map. No air patrol contacts, but shore guns are encountered on the next table roll. I must complete all shore gun combat before rolling for convoy encounter in the same zone. If I choose to evade shore gun combat, I must immediately move my PT squadron counter out of the current assigned mission red zone and into the connecting yellow zone on the strategic map, and may not roll for convoy contact check (due to leaving the red assigned offensive patrol zone). If evading shore guns or convoy contacts, one may leave the assigned red zone, stay in the connecting yellow zone for one turn (making all the necessary table rolls), and then re-enter the red assigned patrol zone again. Player may then make all weather, sea state, random event, air patrol, shore gun, and convoy contact checks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ward
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
ghost9876 wrote:
I am starting this thread to post any rule clarifications or corrections regarding Devil Boats. Corrections and rule clarifications will eventually be implemented into new game version files as they are released.

Hey Joe. Just got a crew member with malaria and can’t find in the rules or tables how replacing of crew members go. Or do you just do the mission you were setting up one man short and replace him next time in. Any optional rules on this like the ship repairs?

Thanks
Steve Ward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Binderchk wrote:
ghost9876 wrote:

Hey Joe. Just got a crew member with malaria and can’t find in the rules or tables how replacing of crew members go. Or do you just do the mission you were setting up one man short and replace him next time in. Any optional rules on this like the ship repairs?

Thanks
Steve Ward

Steve,

There really is no rule, and I guess I forgot to add a note regarding that situation. All I do is just roll on the name generator table and immediately replace him.

I thought about creating crewmen replacement rules like I did for PT repair times, but I decided against it for a couple of reasons. First, since the game doesn't track PT #2-#4 individual crewmen, it would imbalance things too much whenever PT #1 lost a crewman. Secondly, while I think the repair times adds a lot to the game, tracking crewmen replacement times would just be overkill in my opinion and bog the game down too much. Also, from what I have read, crewmen from other squadrons would frequently fill in for missing crewmen when their boats were under repair, sunk, etc. until a permanent replacement was found. So basically, most of the time there were more crewmen available than boats and shortages were not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ward
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok Joe. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.